PSP versions, CFW questions and some little things.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Yanazake, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Yanazake
    OP

Member Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Hello, how was your New Year night? XD
    I have some questions about PSP versions, maybe the first ones of the year!

From what I understand, there are today 4 versions of the Portable, which are:

PSP 1000, [aka FAT] which doesn't require downgrade, but has less memory.
    PSP 2000, [aka the first slim] which has double the memory of 1000 and uses pandora battery for downgrade.
    PSP 3000, which is a modified version of 2000 and uses chickHEN [or a program with a similar name] for "emulating" downgrade.
    PSP "GO!", which it seems, has no downgrade or CFW available yet, and does not accepts UMDs.

Concerning this, I'd like to ask which version is my best choice for buying, considering the ease and risks of downgrading, the compatibility of the up to date CFWs, and the overall profit I can make of the PSP after it's using a CFW.

Basically, I know that my options will be narrowed to PSP 2k and 3k. So, the thing is what I will and what I won't be able to do with them.

*From what I've seen, the PSP3k ChickHEN downgrade/CFW uses four images to make the program work. Does that mean that It's not a good idea to put new images into the PSP?
    *Also, about modding the interface, which one is safer to do the modding?
    *About CFW compatibility, I know that Original FW is updated and becomes necessary for newer games. If I'm using a CFW that still doesn't support a certain game, does the original UMD still work instead of a downloaded ISO?
    *If not, then reverting to the Original FW would be needed. Which version is easier to do this - 2K or 3K?

Now, for the extra things~

*I heard of a dual micro SD adapter that fits the Sony Memory Card Slot in the PSP. Does anyone have any warnings about the use of this kind of thing?
    *I also heard about various acessories that let you play the PSP in any kind of tv, and even plug into it [the acessory] a ps2 controller to play the PSP like it was a real console. Do these things work well and are safe?

Okay, I think my main questions have run out for now. I'm sorry if some of these questions could be answered by most online FAQs, but I really preferred to ask and see people's experiences about these matters, as I'm ready to buy my first psp and found both 2K and 3K versions selling, still new in the box!
    [edit: I checked the faq here in GBAtemp, and it didn't help much, specially since it seems outdated]

Thanks in advance for any enlightment on my gaming path XD

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    A Fully Hackable PSP 2K is probably the best due to the extended RAM and Video Out capabilities which are improvements over the 1000 model. Also i think it has a brighter screen but am not sure.

4. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Only answering these, I cba.

1. All UMD have a OFW update in them, if the CFW can not play the game on the firmware then you won't be able to play it unless you update to its OFW.

2. You can only use chickhen on 5.03 and it will stay on 5.03 unless the PSP is fully hackable.
    Updating to 6.20 will render your PSP useless for homebrew/ISO if its semi-hackable

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Semi hack on the 3000 dissappears and must be run again if you turn the system off completely (sleep mode however does work)

You cannot run unsupported games on CFW and the moment 5.03 GEN-C supports all games up to December 15th in UMD or ISO form due to its built in decrypter but if a new Firmware comes out that is unsupported then you will not be able to run it until a workaround is found and the CFW is updated. If you update a 3000 above 5.03 there is no hope for it.

7. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    Hm, then one last question:
    The same CFW is used in both kinds of hacks, and receives frequent updates, or are the needed CFW different for Pandora and ChickHEN?
    'Cause if Pandora hack is updated normally, I'm probably getting a 2K model. I'm mostly worried about this just because I want to play KH: Birth By Sleep no matter what~~

Thanks for all the help until now \o/

8. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    Hm, sorry for bringing up this old topic, but I didn't have this final question answered. Thanks for your patience with me tho ^^'

I know the hacking for psp 2k and 3k is different, but the CFW used is the same?