PSP translation, Need some help (Tokimeki Memorial 4)

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Crysis99, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Crysis99
    OP

Crysis99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    Senegal
    Singapore
    Hello! What I'm trying to do is translate Tokimeki Memorial 4, from Japanese to English. However, we don't have a hacker in our team, so I thought we could at least start out by getting the script extracted. However, the only lead I got, was this http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10569 , which seems to store its files in a similar fashion. So right now, we are at a dead end.

My request, to whoever can help, is to point us in the right direction, so we can get started on translating the text.
    I thanknyou for reading this and apologize if its in the wrong section.

2. 1NSaNe

1NSaNe Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    I think this should be on the homebrew subforum. Hope this can help you.

I checked Tokimeki Memorial 4 and i can tell you some things:
    -All the JAP text can be found at USRDIR/disc/pack (you can extract this folder using UMDGen)
    -The game content is localizated by modules, wich have compressed data for each module (example, title_menu.dat is a compressed file with images, text and sounds that you can see in the main title)
    -You will be needing a .dat extractor for this files for arrive to the text to be translated

I think im not wrong, so if someone can tell you more, can be nice. If u wanna try hex editing the .dat files with MadEdit, Good luck, but i think you will be needing a extractor.

3. Crysis99
    OP

Crysis99 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    Senegal
    Singapore
    Hello! Thanks for the quick reply. According to you, we would need an extractor. Any idea on where we can get one?
    And in case you need it, here's the file structure of the iso file
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    And here's an image of one of the .dat files in a hex editor
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

4. jjjewel

jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2009
    United States
    It seems like quite a difficult game to hack. You might need to find someone who knows ASM hacking to help with this project.

From a quick look, most files are packed, compressed, and encrypted. So you'll need to program an unpacker, a decompressor, and a decrypter to begin with. :O (It seems to be encrypted with XOR and compressed with LZ compression of some sort.)

Furthermore, the game doesn't accept ASCII input. And the English Shift-JIS font that is used in the game is fixed-width. Then, it seems to allow only 3 characters for the speaker's name. You'll have problem with English names then. (Ex. 星川 uses only 2 characters in Japanese but when you translate it to "Hoshikawa", it'll be too long. You can use first name as the speaker's name instead but then you'll have trouble with long first name like "Tsugumi", etc.)

5. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    On a slightly off topic matter, the earlier Tokimeki Memorial games are basically evil to hack.
    Lots of projects were abandonned, including the very first game. Not only because of the text/graphic compression, but also the limitations of the text display engine.

6. paris.van.java

paris.van.java Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2014
    Indonesia
    there's some ways to get through this, first is by hacking the JIS system and change the fixed-width (which also programming a new box to match the width), and/or re-progamming the code to have flexi-width boxes (thus creating new box program, etc etc) which is do-able , but going to be really pain in the ass......

the other is creating a whole new program using extracted data, (which is actually not fan-translation naymore, but fan-games)

btw sorry for my poor engrish OTL