Local Ninja
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
i haven't really been paying that much attention to the psp scene anyway i just bought myself a psp on ebay
yaypsp.gif
(for 115$) and i just want to know how far are they on the psp on homebrew and all that stuff and is it possible to play roms on it yet? and if so what do it need to do so?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
You can play:
PSP isos/csos
PS1 isos
Most (if not all) of the old pre-90s systems
GB, GBC, GBA
Old Sega systems, etc

There are N64 and SNES emulators, but from what I hear compatibility is iffy. (Haven't tried myself yet because I barely got my PSP.)
I think SNES compatibility on the PSP is better than the DS though.

There's a bunch of other non-emulator (apps) homebrew too.

To play homebrew, you need custom firmware (I think that's the correct term). There are a few ways to do it depending on your current firmware.
The recent popular way that works on all firmware is to use pandora's battery. Most of the other methods require a game exploit.

xflash

Local Ninja
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
so i don't have to buy anything (besides a memory stick ofcourse) other than if im using a game exploit?

by the way how is the ps1 compatibility? do you think Sheep, Dog And Wolf would work?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
You'd have to buy/borrow the game.

When I was researching before buying my PSP, I heard PS1 compatibility is near 100%.

So far, I've only tried FF9 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, but both work perfectly with no slow down or glitches so far.

Edit: Here's a video showing off FF7 on the PSP.

xflash

Local Ninja
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
ok thanks dude i'll have to check out how i do this stuff before i get my psp by the way do you mean i have to buy/borrow the psp game with an exploit or the ps1 game i wish to play?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I meant the PSP game. For example, one of the GTA games (I don't remember which) has an exploit that can be used to downgrade.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You'd have to buy/borrow the game.

When I was researching before buying my PSP, I heard PS1 compatibility is near 100%.

So far, I've only tried FF9 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, but both work perfectly with no slow down or glitches so far.

That the PS1 compatibility is near 100% is because it's made by Sony, they use it to sell classic games via PS3 to your PSP or something from what I've understood.

There are N64 and SNES emulators, but from what I hear compatibility is iffy. (Haven't tried myself yet because I barely got my PSP.)
I think SNES compatibility on the PSP is better than the DS though.
I believe the snes emulator is pretty decent, escpecially when run on 333mhz, the n64 is still an in progress thing though, with nice improvements, but not near perfect or something indeed...

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Congrats on your new PSP.
Believe me, it rocks. PSPUpdates.com is a great place to look for software and news about homebrew.

VVoltz out.

xflash

Local Ninja
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
i don't know anybody with a custom firmware so then i have to buy one of the psp games with an exploit right?

edited: also is there a list of the games that has exploits somewhere?

Marxian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That the PS1 compatibility is near 100% is because it's made by Sony, they use it to sell classic games via PS3 to your PSP or something from what I've understood.

wait does that mean i can't just download the game off the internet? i have to buy it instead?

No. Monkey01 is just refering to the fact that Sony are selling PS1 games on the PSN Store. You can play these games on the PSP as well as the PS3.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

wait does that mean i can't just download the game off the internet? i have to buy it instead?
No, but you have the ability if you want to.
wink.gif
Their system was cracked in no-time to make it load any PS1 iso without the need to download it from sony or something.
nyanya.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the only games with exploits that I know of are GTA (version 1) and lumines (version 1)

don't buy the fixed version of these games because they won't do what you need them to. try second hand places for the old copies, can't remember how to check but someone should be able to fill you in. you can also downgrade firmware with a pandora batery..google it to find out more

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
the only games with exploits that I know of are GTA (version 1) and lumines (version 1)

don't buy the fixed version of these games because they won't do what you need them to. try second hand places for the old copies, can't remember how to check but someone should be able to fill you in. you can also downgrade firmware with a pandora batery..google it to find out more

You don't need any more "exploits" since the Pandora Battery and the "Despertar del Cementerio" programs were released.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone has a 2nd battery lying around to use the Pandora Battery trick.
tongue.gif
'

Not to mention that there's no need for Pandora's Battery with most version of the PSP firmware. The older, the better!

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd go with psp-hacks.com
I had really good luck there. Find out what firmware you have and go from there. Anything under 3.0 and you should be good. 2.71 and under is ideal. When I did mine(6 months ago and already sold). I went from 2.71 I think, down to 1.5, then ran 3.03OE-B custom firmware. Was able to run SNES pretty close to legit. PS1 games were decent. I only played dave mirra remix and it was close, but that was a legit rip from my own game I have sitting here.

So if you're good on firmware, should be able to downgrade to 1.5 without any hassles and then use custom firmware from that point. Just do some research on psp-hacks and it will all start to make sense...

good luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free