PSP(s) with newer/latest firmware

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by gamecaptor, Sep 20, 2010.

1. gamecaptor
    OP

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    Hello all,

I have two questions that are related (and I suspect will have the same answer for both, but I want to be sure).

First question: My girlfriend’s little brother has a PSP-100X with the latest firmware on it (6.31). He has asked me about soft-modding it and I’m not entirely sure how to do it with the latest firmware. I THINK I just need to use a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick to bring the firmware back down to 5.03 and then I can install the CFW. (I actually have a Pandora Battery and MMS that I put together several years ago, probably just need to get it more current).

Second question: I have a PSP-100X and I’m considering getting a PSP-200X for the brighter screen and TV out option. Assuming I can find one with the proper motherboard, I’m guessing I will find that it has the latest firmware as well. So like my first question, I’m assuming I will need to use a Pandora and MMS to bring the firmware back down, then install the CFW.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

2. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    No matter what firmware, you need a Pandora and formatted stick to install CFW

3. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Yup to both

There is some PSP bundles that are 100% hackable, I'm not sure which ones though but a quick Google and you'll find it.

@jargus; not if the firmware is below 5.03, you don't

4. wayne1482

wayne1482 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2008
  5. gamecaptor
    OP

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    ok, so in both cases, use a Pandora and MMS to get firmware back to 5.03 (or lower) and then install CFW (sounds like Prometheus-2 is the way to go). Thank you for confirming for me.

Looking into the 200X, it looks like these packages are hackable:
    God of War Bundle
    Star Wars Bundle
    Daxter Bundle