Gaming [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 [JPN]

dgcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have this working on GEN D-2 or even M33? I know there was a patch for Tekken 6 that let you use it on the current firmware, and PS:P2 requires the same OFW as far as I know. Or are we going to have to wait for GEN D-3? Dec. 15th...boo
frown.gif

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgcool said:
Anyone have this working on GEN D-2 or even M33? I know there was a patch for Tekken 6 that let you use it on the current firmware, and PS:P2 requires the same OFW as far as I know. Or are we going to have to wait for GEN D-3? Dec. 15th...boo
frown.gif

Just wait for D-3 I guess. I don't think Tekken 6 was the same case.

dgcool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess we are going to have to.

I love Kadio Battle, by the way. I wish Genki would make more racing games, they've really been slowing down lately.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgcool said:
Guess we are going to have to.

I love Kadio Battle, by the way. I wish Genki would make more racing games, they've really been slowing down lately.

Ugh.. don't get me started on Genki. KB2:Chain Reaction is my favorite game of all time... but they haven't made a single real game since Wangan Midnight Portable, and that game was an abortion (not to mention 3 years old). Shutokou Battle PSP (Street Supremacy) is great but that was FIVE years ago.

It's safe to say they're not making any more racing games. Now they only make trainer software for the DS (foreign exchange trainer, english grammar trainer, business etiquette trainer, etc.) I think they felt next-gen is not the place for them because nobody bought Shutokou Battle X (Import Tuner Challenge) for the 360, despite being an awesome game.

Of course that's just my armchair analysis. Not to spread rumors, but this is what really went down:

Konami bought Genki as an asset in 2002, which is around the time they started making all their masterpieces. For whatever reason (couldn't have been sales because Genki had chart toppers for three years straight), Konami sold them in 2005, after which Genki got into serious debt. At that point, Genki's major shareholder was Daikoku Denki (Japan's major pachinko company, among other things), which pulled some crazy business moves to pull them out of debt. Unfortunately it involved completely changing the company and putting it in the hands of businessmen, as opposed to programmers/car enthusiasts.

Long story short, blame Konami. Why? Konami was in the process of making some mad internal business moves, and Genki got the short end of the stick. You can read about that here: http://magweasel.com/2009/08/11/a-twisty-m...inment-studios/

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You do know you can't go online with pirated copies due to serial checks so you'll be missing out on 90% of the extra goodies most free that will be available if you go online (online extras require PSN access).

This is a game that you MUST buy to enjoy the full experience.

MZ EXE.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
You do know you can't go online with pirated copies due to serial checks so you'll be missing out on 90% of the extra goodies most free that will be available if you go online (online extras require PSN access).

Even so its still great to test out and if they really like it and want the online access, then they can go buy it. I'm actually gonna try this game I've heard it has alot more improvements over the first one. If its truly better, I'll buy the US release when it comes, although I hope the exclusive items don't get removed like in PS0. I hope they release it on the PSN, my PSP's UMD drive is broken ;.;

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MZ EXE. said:
Hop2089 said:

Even so its still great to test out and if they really like it and want the online access, then they can go buy it. I'm actually gonna try this game I've heard it has alot more improvements over the first one. If its truly better, I'll buy the US release when it comes, although I hope the exclusive items don't get removed like in PS0. I hope they release it on the PSN, my PSP's UMD drive is broken ;.;

It's already guaranteed a PSN release since the Japanese release is on the PSN as well, about exclusive items almost all of them are collaboration items and events from Japanese Companies save for Pizza Hut but don't expect items such as Cheese-Kun to be in the localized release because with some items, they are unfamiliar to people outside of Japan unless they are well traveled and been to Japan before. If I was Sega, I would put some collaboration items that are only available for the localized US and European releases.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hop2089 said:
It's already guaranteed a PSN release since the Japanese release is on the PSN as well, about exclusive items almost all of them are collaboration items and events from Japanese Companies save for Pizza Hut but don't expect items such as Cheese-Kun to be in the localized release because with some items, they are unfamiliar to people outside of Japan unless they are well traveled and been to Japan before. If I was Sega, I would put some collaboration items that are only available for the localized US and European releases.
i'd rather not have such items.
it's bad enough i had a sega dreamcast looking over my shoulder in PS:P1, such "advertisement/joke items" are often more powerful than most items from the same grade and don't fit too well in a serious sci-fi/fantasy setting.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
Hop2089 said:
i'd rather not have such items.
it's bad enough i had a sega dreamcast looking over my shoulder in PS:P1, such "advertisement/joke items" are often more powerful than most items from the same grade and don't fit too well in a serious sci-fi/fantasy setting.

Normally I'd agree, but Phantasy Star Portable isn't all that serious, half of it is lame jokes and banter. Plus if you think about it, product placement gets more extreme the more time goes on, so it fits in the futuristic setting.

I'm playing Yakuza 2 right now, and that game had some really heavy handed advertising.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DS1 said:
Normally I'd agree, but Phantasy Star Portable isn't all that serious, half of it is lame jokes and banter. Plus if you think about it, product placement gets more extreme the more time goes on, so it fits in the futuristic setting.

I'm playing Yakuza 2 right now, and that game had some really heavy handed advertising.
it might have a good amount of jokes, i still find it rather odd having to swing a piece of meat around for 20 levels because no other axes around that level reach it's strength.(just an example of how far it goes with some weapons)

about 85%(rough estimate) of the weapons are normal weapons(in other words, not pots, pans, monster bodyparts, pieces of meat, gameconsoles, etc.)
the other 15% are the best weapons for their level.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"