Hacking PSP or Vita, for emulation?

k1darkknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a Nintendo 3DS XL (not new 3DS XL), and I've learned that emulation tends to be much smoother on PSP. However, I would imagine that it would run even better on the Vita, but I haven't seen any threads indicating either way. So, between the PSP and Vita, I'd like to know:

- Which is easier to use for emulation?

- Which has more systems' emulators available? (GB/GBC/GBA, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.)

- Are prices for memory cards for the Vita becoming more reasonable, or are they still higher per GB than for PSP?

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have a Nintendo 3DS XL (not new 3DS XL), and I've learned that emulation tends to be much smoother on PSP. However, I would imagine that it would run even better on the Vita, but I haven't seen any threads indicating either way. So, between the PSP and Vita, I'd like to know:

- Which has more systems' emulators available? (GB/GBC/GBA, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.)

- Are prices for memory cards for the Vita becoming more reasonable, or are they still higher per GB than for PSP?

It all comes down to taste. The Vita is starting to show it's potential and the coming months will be really interesting regarding emulation.

- The PSP is easier to hack and therefore is more accessible for emulation. However, if you can get a Vita on or under 3.60 you will be able to emulate lots of games really well.

- It was a long time ago I delved into the PSP emulator scene, so I can't say for sure. But the Vita now has a really good build of Retroarch that is constantly getting new nightlies. It emulates pretty much everything up to PS1 right now and everything I have thrown at it runs incredibly well!

- No. They are still overly expensive. I purchased a 64GB memory card a couple of months ago myself and I don't regret it. But my wallet was hurting for a while after that.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both a psp 2000 and 3000. They work great. Snes emulation is smooth. Gba emulation works well. I've never tried the vita, but it seems the scene is budding right now. The 2000 and 3000 psp run the same. I'd get whichever is cheaper. You can probably get one for $40.

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen from TheFlows video. It emulates a real live PSP. Therefore, anything that was doable on the PSP will be doable when TheFlow releases his PSPEmu hack he's been working on.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India

In terms of ease, it's definitely PSP. Once you have a PSP on cfw, you just have to add files and homebrew to the memory card, no installation and such. For Vita, at the moment, you have to ftp / qcma files and programs, then use Vitashell to install emulators, and then move files around with Vitashell. You can transfer to PSP over USB like any storage devide.

- Which has more systems'

At the moment, PS Vita has everything the PSP has (in the PSP emu) and native stuff too, so Vita has more systems. At the very least, Vita will perform as much as a PSP does. There are still small issues with running PSP built emulators on Vita (directory problems, low compatibility) but they usually have some workarounds. Once the pspemu exploit is released, things should get better on the Vita. Also native Vita emus are getting better daily.

PSP wins again in this category. Unless you own a PSP go, you can use a microSD to pro duo adapter (very cheap) and use regular microSD cards as storage. Many have reported upto 128gb working on the PSP. There's an adapter which has slots for 2 microSD cards that adds the space. Even the PSP go can be hard modded to use microSD storage. Vita cards are still too pricey and have horrible fail rates, and doesn't look like there's an alternate solution at the moment (people are working on it but it's still in very early research phase, no POC yet)

My advice is, since you're into emulation, buy a used PSP because they're dirt cheap these days and storage isn't an issue, and I believe everybody must own a PSP because it can do so much. The PSP has native ps1 emulation as well, which is near perfect.
Since the PSP is so cheap, it won't hurt your wallet and you can save up and buy a Vita too in future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse