PSP or original GBA SP for GBA games?

Dead Ghost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I never played GBA games before. At the moment i have a DS Lite, but i don't like playing GBA games on it because it adds black bars around the gba image and it's a bit little by comparing to the gba screen. Anyway, so i'm left with two choices: the original GBA SP (the new revision with brigther screen) or the PSP, emulating the GBA games.
If both consoles (PSP and GBA SP) would cost the same, which one you would choose, only for GBA games? I'm worried that on the PSP, not all gba games (english games, at least the good and very good ones) are 100% compatible and also it would look funny, given the bigger screen and different aspect ratio...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
The screen makes it look nice and big but the D-pad on the PSP is shit.
Absolute shit.

Get an SP if you ONLY want GBA because the shitty D-pad will detract from the experience.
Get a PSP if you want more and don't mind some minor controlling issues.

No Name Trowa Barton

Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™
Trophies
Website
www.NoNameTrowaBarton.com
XP
Country
United States
xcalibur said:
Absolute shit.

Get an SP if you ONLY want GBA because the shitty D-pad will detract from the experience.

on a side note the D-PAD on the PSP SLIM is better then the orignal gba dpad or the dpad on the ds.

get a psp for it memory sticks are cheaper then gba flash cards. and you can generaly store more on them. along side tons more homebrew options on the psp

my gba sp is gathering dust thanks to my psp >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKF_KidAXGQ at full speed...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
No Name Trowa Barton said:
xcalibur said:
Absolute shit.

on a side note the D-PAD on the PSP SLIM is better then the orignal gba dpad or the dpad on the ds.

get a psp for it memory sticks are cheaper then gba flash cards. and you can generaly store more on them. along side tons more homebrew options on the psp

It better be >:[
I'm currentl borrowing a phat PSP off a mate of mine and I can't stand it.

No Name Trowa Barton

Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™
Trophies
Website
www.NoNameTrowaBarton.com
XP
Country
United States
xcalibur said:
No Name Trowa Barton said:
xcalibur said:
Absolute shit.

It better be >:[
I'm currentl borrowing a phat PSP off a mate of mine and I can't stand it.

on sony current dpads it goes like this

psp 2000 > ps3 dual shock 3/sixaxis > psp 1000

psp 1k suffers from not being able to to hit down and left at the same time without crippling your thumb.

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i love the psp dpad. but on many GBA games you will find that sound lags immensely. its a sad state, as otherwise emulating most games is perfect. for that reason, i would pick the sp with a good flashcart over the psp in a heartbeat. if the sound timing is ever fixed, i would go with psp hands down. psp dpad is basically just like a dualshock dpad. thats like saying, you hate a SNES controller. it has comparable response and give.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
camx said:
i love the psp dpad. but on many GBA games you will find that sound lags immensely. its a sad state, as otherwise emulating most games is perfect. for that reason, i would pick the sp with a good flashcart over the psp in a heartbeat. if the sound timing is ever fixed, i would go with psp hands down. psp dpad is basically just like a dualshock dpad. thats like saying, you hate a SNES controller. it has comparable response and give.
change frameskip to about 2-3
up the cpu to 333mhz

should work fine for most games

doesnt lag for me

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if it's just for GBA games, get a GBA Micro! I picked one up for pretty cheap, and it's awesome! small enough that i carry it in my pocket everywhere, all the time, I don't even have to think about bringing it or not. Slap some flashcart in there that holds a lot of games, and you'll be set! the screen is awesome, and it has adjustable brightness. sure it's smaller, but i honestly don't have any problem with it.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dead Ghost said:
I never played GBA games before. At the moment i have a DS Lite, but i don't like playing GBA games on it because it adds black bars around the gba image and it's a bit little by comparing to the gba screen. Anyway, so i'm left with two choices: the original GBA SP (the new revision with brigther screen) or the PSP, emulating the GBA games.
If both consoles (PSP and GBA SP) would cost the same, which one you would choose, only for GBA games? I'm worried that on the PSP, not all gba games (english games, at least the good and very good ones) are 100% compatible and also it would look funny, given the bigger screen and different aspect ratio...
FYI, you see the black border on your DS because the DS screen is slightly bigger than the GBA screen.

Seccom Masada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why would you buy another system for the sole purpose of slightly annoying black lines? Honestly. Anyway, at least with the PSP you'll have the ability to do more than just GBA games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.