PSP or GP2X Wiz?

Purplebeaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wanting to get the GP2X Wiz for the past couple of months since I saw it, and it's capable of running a lot of emulators pretty well; my friend is saying to go for a PSP and hack it to do the same thing, with the added bonus of also playing PSP games.

But how is the emulation comparison? I imagine primarily I'd be using the system as I used my DS before upgrading to the DSi, running GB, GBA, and SNES roms. The SNES emulation was bad and eventually removed, and sometimes the GBA games wouldn't save.

I'm usually indoors, so battery life isn't really an issue. Hmm... I think that's about it.

**I eventually sold off my old DS a couple months ago; and with the DSi's latest firmware, I'm incapable of running any of my AceKard2 roms/emu's until there's, hopefully, a fix.

I'm pretty much looking for a system that I can use to run all the nifty emu's and keep the DSi as the, well, DS player.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time I checked PSP emulation in general is still pretty low and nowhere near as advanced as NDS emulation. I could be wrong, though.

I'd go for the PSP. If you have a DS you can already do everything you wanted with the exception of playing PSP games. The PSP has better compatibility (obviously) and a wealth of features.

Purplebeaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend is pretty set on the PSP, and from what I see it can seemingly emulate... practically everything. But there's several versions. The core, slim, 2000, 3000, go? Is there a 'best' PSP that's still hackable?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Purplebeaver said:
My friend is pretty set on the PSP, and from what I see it can seemingly emulate... practically everything. But there's several versions. The core, slim, 2000, 3000, go? Is there a 'best' PSP that's still hackable?

Far as I know all versions are now hackable. The easiest to hack is the original with the 3000 being the hardest. The Go is not released yet and will need to be hacked and new custom firmware created specifically for it (I'd imagine anyway)

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Last time I checked PSP emulation in general is still pretty low and nowhere near as advanced as NDS emulation. I could be wrong, though.
when was the last time you checked?

i use my PSP mostly as a PSX, CPS1/2, neogeo, megadrive & CD emulator - the PSP screen is near perfect for these old school games

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Purplebeaver said:
technically they're all hackable but the 3000s (and the later models of the slim) only have a non-permanent hack (has to be reinstalled everytime the PSP is turned off)

the best version is the earlier slim models (more ram and better screen than the orginal model, but can also support the permanent hack)

Purplebeaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
godsakes said:
Purplebeaver said:
technically they're all hackable but the 3000s (and the later models of the slim) only have a non-permanent hack (has to be reinstalled everytime the PSP is turned off)

the best version is the earlier slim models (more ram and better screen than the orginal model, but can also support the permanent hack)

I don't particularly mind having to reinstall every time I shut down, assuming the time is fairly low. Is the reinstall done within the PSP itself or does it have to be done from a computer, which then means the time to reinstall grows longer if I'm not near my laptop. But again, if the time is low I may not mind it. Because I am more interested in the 3000 at this point; although I'm MOST interested in the Go, I don't really want to a: wait the few more months for it, and b: risk the potential of it not being hackable/as easy.

However I could be swayed to the slim, too. Did you mean the slim's have better ram then even the 3000? The nicer thing about it is, of course, it's lower price.

Purplebeaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I like having the newest toys. But aside from it being a few more months of waiting, and work being as slow as it is, I probably won't be able to afford it when it does come out.

So the 3000 or the Slim is fine.

Purplebeaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I've decided on the PSP 3000 today. I'm going to hit Gamestop and see if I can.

Due to the risk I've decided not to get one new, and I'm putting my hopes in there being a few used ones there, to which I'll ask if I can 'test' it and make sure it's good so I can then check what version it's running.

So from what I gather, so long as I can find a 3k rocking version 5.03 and under I'm ok right?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DjoeN said:
I got both and i do preffer the gp2x wiz

Wiz has a great hombrew community and some great emulators (and touchscreen)
PSP has great emu's to, but i don't know i don't like the psp to play them on.

Last time i used a psp was months ago.
Want to sell your psp?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1