OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello dear GBAtempers.

I bought a PSP for cheap, because the seller told me the UMD drive wasn't working (no big deal, since it got M33 and UMD drives can be found on DealExtreme). I bought a Gitaroo Man UMD today, and I would like to play it. I thought the PSP would give me read errors, but it doesn't even see the UMD (doesn't try to load). I don't understand... The small white detection switch seems to be there, but there is absolutely no reaction.

Is there a way to fix that? Is it a problem that can be solved by changing the drive?

I really don't understand...

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
btw, it's a PSP Slim on M33 5.0 firmware. The owner said the UMD drive stopped working some times after he was on M33. Could it be a bad setting / flash...?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
When you look at the MAC address of the PSP what does it read?

Just had a thought that you may be reticent about giving this out (although for all intents and purposes it's useless info)...can you connect to your router via the Wifi connection? Are you satisfied that the MAC is intact.

To me it sounds as if that this PSP may have had another PSP's nand flashed to it (this is bad).

In this instance you'll need to use DCv7 or DCv8 to reflash the thing entirely and regenerate it's IDStorage keys.

B

ball2012003

did you move that sensor thing that you see when you open the umd slot
if so move it to the left

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have heard that there can be an issue with some UMD drives where the laser for reading discs burns the cable connecting the drive to the psp. that may be your problem. Btw, why on earth did you buy a UMD if you knew the UMD drive doesnt work?

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It was hacked (playing games off Memory Stick), and it was dirt cheap.

About the "sensor thing"... Are you talking about that white little thing?

SkyintheSea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing is wrong with my PSP-1000.
Little nephew broke it and I replaced it with a new umd drive.
Still the UMD was unrecognized.
No idea what's wrong with it either.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
gaboumafou said:

still doesnt explain why you bought a UMD
Oh, Gitaroo Man is one of my all-time favorites games, and I never owned a legit copy. When I saw it at 20 bucks, I decided it was the time to change that.

And I doubt the problem is coming from a burned-out drive, since the previous owner said he barely used the drive. In fact, he said he didn't use the drive for 6 months before discovering it was broken...

So, is it a problem that can be solved? (maybe by buying another drive on DealExtreme?)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The only suggestion i'd make to try and fix it without hardware modification would be to regenerate IDStorage with DCv7 or 8. Although you could also see if Keycleaner picks up any fixable issues first.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Before buying a new one get another PSP of the same model and see if there are any differences. My friend had a Slim where the black circle in the UMD drive kept falling out causing it not to work.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
The only suggestion i'd make to try and fix it without hardware modification would be to regenerate IDStorage with DCv7 or 8. Although you could also see if Keycleaner picks up any fixable issues first.
I will Google this. Thanks!

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
gaboumafou said:

still doesnt explain why you bought a UMD

some people actually like to support the companies that make great games

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
KeyCleaner didn't pick anything. How does it work with DCv8? I'm afraid of bricking my PSP... :/

DarkPacMan77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Go into the recovery mode and make sure that your "Region Settings" are set to the most open settings. That way it will "fake the region" and allow all types of UMD's / ISO's to play regardless of language.

This may not be the case, but as you said your friend or whatever mentioned that after he installed custom firmware, this happened. This is usually most commonly cured by setting up your region.

-DarkPacMan77-

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
That region feature is useless and wouldn't affect the UMD drive.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I already finished it on memory stick! Playing it on UMD is not essential, but if I can repair the UMD drive, it could be nice.

xist said:
Could you explain a little about that regenerate "IDStorage with DCv7 or 8"? I'm afraid it's the kind of thing that coud brick my PSP if I do it wrong...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.