PSP messed up? :S Brick, semibrick?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Pyrofyr, Jun 20, 2008.

Jun 20, 2008
  1. Pyrofyr
    OP

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Okay, I'm having problems turning my PSP on.

First the only problem I had was that I plugged it into an old laptop, now it won't start. The light blinks, but the screen won't turn on.

It also won't shut off right away, it does the blinky thing for like a good minute or two before stopping. I'm wondering if it's corrupt or something? I've tried loading while holding R, and it also won't work.

Anyway to fix this? ._.;

2. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    pandora is your best bet, if recovery menu doesnt work (as you said)

3. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Don't have a pandora on me, waiting for one from DealExtreme.

The only problem now (I've gotten it down to this) is that the screen won't show. The music shows fine and I can tell that it's booting up.

4. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Try holding down the brightness button.

5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If the brightness is dead then the screen is dead. You can find a replace screen online i.e. ebay.

6. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    I just got my Pandora via DealExtreme.

So now I 'have' to turn my current memstick into a "Magic Memstick", correct? So that I can try downgrading and then reupgrading?

If worst comes to worst, I'm fairly sure this is a defect anyway, as I've been reading up on many people having the same problem and taking it back (google), so I'll just take it back and explain what happened, elsewise I'd like to fix it before that.

7. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    if u can still hear the music when you turn it on, is more likely that the psp's screen is dead.
    or try taking the psp's battery out and then put it back in and put it on charge. then after some minutes try turn it on
    p.s
    how are u going to turn a normal memory sticks into magic 1 if your psp is dead?

8. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Well, someone had told me (I also frequent #ndsroms on IRC) that I could try using Pandora and "Despertar del Cementario" to fix it, or another method requiring the a memstick.

If it's for sure that the screen is dead (What I had figured, but not being so knowledgeable on the subject decided to take their advice and consider that it might just be the PSP overall) so I'll just take it back to Target with the rest of the stuff and the receipt.

The weird thing is that all I had done was plugged it into my old laptop (VERY OLD) and I would say that killed it, but it doesn't make sense to me. Then again people have reported this happening when just 'listenign to music' so it could be anything. I'm still WELL within the 90day period, so I'll try taking it back today or tuesday (Big weekend)

9. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Off Topic:

You do not need a PSP to create a magic memory stick.

You just need a memory stick reader and the proper files.

10. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Okay, 2 things.

First of all to anyone having this problem (It seems to be a defect in a few batches or whatnot, as it RANDOMLY happens, and while googling it seems to have no actual exact reasoning, for me it was plugging it in, for another it was listening to music, and for another still it was while leaving it alone while on) you can take it back to the store and just swap it out, even if modded, they can't tell at Target/(insert franchise) so they won't question it.

I got a new one, it's working fine, and I'm about to mod it now.

One more thing, to anyone with a Sams Club membership they sell Sony MS Pro Duo (With a MS Duo adapter) for 10bucks! (2GB)
    That's 1/3rd the normal price, and half the Best Buy price!

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Just wondering, which light was blinking? Green (power) or orange (MS)? I used to have a problem with a fake MS... after a game crashed (any game at all after 6 minutes) it would reboot and try to resume the crashed game off the MS, and wouldn't let me into the XMB unless I removed the MS itself (to stop the orange light from blinking). If it's the green light, then I have no idea - never encountered it.

12. PW1337

Newcomer PW1337 Advanced Member

United States
    I had a problem like yours, well, it was because the PSP was reading too much stuff from the Memory Stick(Playing Castlevanis Dracula X Chronicles(CSO)and used CW cheat, too hard to beat Dracula without cheats >_>) The game would freeze at random parts of the game and then I had to take off the battery from the PSP for it to stop, as it wouldn't turn off with the power switch. Also, the MS light would rapidly blink, as well as the Wireless light(Green next to the MS one) even though I wasn't playing on Ad-hoc.

13. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    It was the green light blinking o.o;

They gave me no problems, so I figure it was either just the screen or they were retarded, and now it's their problem ;]