Gaming PSP Making a very high tone while charging?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Neither of my PSPs (Phat or S/L) make any kind of high pitch or loud tone when charging. The only thing that does in my room is the TV (it'll be many more years before I stop hearing that).

Try taking out the battery, checking the contacts, wiping with an anti-static clothe if needed, then put it back in. If that doesn't help, ask a friend if you can borrow their battery for a few minutes and try charging with that. It's may be caused by one of the parts (resister, fuse, or something - I've no idea exactly what's in there) getting a bit old and close to dying (like how an old bulb makes a noise before it pops). Better to know if it's the battery or the PSP itself.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
OP
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Hmm the wierd thing is that none of my recording stuff (Mobile phone, microphone, camera) and so on wont capture this high tone?

Its really REALLY annoying!

Hmm its funny when charging when the PSP is turned on it doesn't make the annoying tone....?

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah mine hasn't started doing this but I'm sure it will. My phone charger makes a high pitched sound.
I'm sure it's when the batteries full but you still have the charger plugged in, explaining why it stops when you turn it on (since your using the battery).
This is all guesswork by me though lol.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
moozxy said:
Ah mine hasn't started doing this but I'm sure it will. My phone charger makes a high pitched sound.
I'm sure it's when the batteries full but you still have the charger plugged in, explaining why it stops when you turn it on (since your using the battery).
This is all guesswork by me though lol.

It's possible, but it doesn't make sense since, again, neither of my PSPs make such a noise, even when full. All they do is stop charging and the lights go off (if off, otherwise it just turns green when on - either way, no longer charging). And this is the same with either PSP Phat, S/L, or USB charger.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Semi-Offtopic, but may be relevant

Some electronics, while operating or charging produce a high pitch sound thats normally outside of a person's hearing range. As you grow older, you actually lose the ability to hear higher pitch noises the older you get. Children and young adults are able to hear them while older adults can not. Also those with sensnitive hearing can pick up these noises as well.

So it may be the case with the high pitch noise from the PSP or it could be a defect. Try googling the problem or contacting Sony about it.

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to hear high-pitched sounds from my router and several other electronics. I was pretty paranoid - not listening to my ipod and everything. Now I'm either totally habituated with it or the sounds went away. It was very odd.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It is true that all forms of electronics emit some form of high pitched noise (along with an electro-magnetic field). Whilst the hearing range of adults deteriorates (for very high and low pitched noises), as mentioned before, all children and some young adults (depending on the environment they live in - loud noises/music can deteriorate the ears) can hear it. Old TVs, chargers, Broadband Routers, and generally anything involving some kind of resister, diode, transformer or capacitor (all of which contain filaments - or so I recall) create a slightly less high pitched noise that children and some young adults find easier to hear than the low-frequency radio waves that they are also capable of hearing (when there are no other noises around - usually associated with tinitus).

However, to stop those with unfortunately sensitive hearing go crazy, and to stop adults from being able to hear their whiney children (excuse the generalisation), all ears produce a sound frequency known as "white noise", which cancels out sounds of the same wavelength. In addition to this, the brain also blocks out all sounds except the ones it is paying attention to, for example, the person you're talking to. An interesting side-effect of this is known as "coctail syndrome", where if you're in a social gathering and talking to someone in front of you, and someone suddenly calls your name, you will suddenly focus on the source of the person calling your name, and essentially hear it above the people who are talking in front of you.

There is also a condition that some people suffer from where they are unable to produce enough white noise to block out most sounds. The effect of which (from experience) is that if you're in a crowded room of people talking, you are forced to hear just about every conversation at the same time. Without a certain level of brain control, it'd drive you insane. Likewise, certain types of autism prevents the brain from blocking out sounds, and make them able to take in more information than usual, at the expense of being unable to focus or concentrate on a single sound.

But this is going beyond the scope of the topic. A PSP/charger is making a noise while charging. This likely means it is old and may need replacing. As I said before though, it'd be advisable to determine if it's from the PSP itself, the battery, or the charger. PSPs are harder to replace.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's amazing about the whole age/sound thing. There is a website where you can do a test. So I grabbed my 8 year old son and started playing different frequencies from the website, asking him if he could hear them, and he could when I couldnt. It's crazy

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I doubt speakers are able to produce such high pitched noises, but it may be possible if the speakers ignore safety levels. The best example of high pitched noises in action is the mosquito - a device used outside some shops in the UK to scare away teenagers (because teenagers can hear what adults can't, and they're not likely to loiter when there's an annoying sound around).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8