Programmer: ChepChep
Translator: Hatsubai

CyberDrive for helping with the file format
Falo for making a GUI for the toolkit
Shrunken Pixel for figuring out the font issues
Cyan for making the battle text images
Linka and Cyan for reporting so many typos and bugs

Translation Status: 99%
I need help finding typos, bugs, grammar issues and/or missing NPC text in the patch. If you find any, please report them.

I have no plans to translate the images, fix the random item / name generator or use variable width font. If you ask me to fix them, I will ignore you. If you are interested in fixing it yourself, I am more than willing to include your fixes in the patch.

We have no plans to translate the DLC for LPR because of two reasons:
1) The DLC content overwrites all the data that we have translated so we would have to redo all of the translation to get the DLC working in English.
2) Legal Issues: The DLC was paid content and we would have to include the DLC content in order to translate it. We want to be legal and the current patch contains no copyright material of NIS.

Main Menu + options 100%
Battle Menu100%
Character Names 100%
Shop Menu100%
Items - 100%
Skills100%
Story:
Chapter 1: 99%
Chapter 2: 99%
Chapter 3: 99%
Chapter 4: 99%
Chapter 5:99%
Chapter 6:99%
Chapter 7:99%
Chapter 8:99%
Chapter 9:99%
Chapter 10:99%
Chapter 11:99%
Chapter 12:99%
Bonus Chapter 1: 99%
Bonus Chapter 2: 99%
Bonus Chapter 3: 99%
Bonus Chapter 4:99%

Total chapters : 12 + 4 Bonus on PSP

Download:
-version 1.1.2 (download link)

Tools:
- La Pucelle Toolpack Version 6 (download link)
- Python File Format Tools - La Pucelle (download link)
- If anyone wants updated or other script I use please feel free to contact me. I will mostly likely share them.

Instruction to patch the game:
1) You need to dump your UMD, or use this release : La_Pucelle_Ragnarok_JPN_PSP-Caravan (filename cvn-lpr)
  • md5 : e45e0962228eba5b9dc4d558a2d30be7
  • crc32 : 295ca347
2) Download the patch
3) Download xdelta UI
4) Backup ISO
5) Run xdelta UI
6) Patch LPR iso with LPR_patched_v1_x_x.xdelta in xdelta UI
7) Either use a PSP emulator or download to PSP and enjoy

Other:
If anyone is interested in skipping directly to the new content on the PSP there is a cheat built into the game to go directly to it.

At the title screen place the cursor on "Start" and press Triangle, Square, X, Triangle, Square, X, Circle.

Walk-through for Bonus Chapters
In the first chapter, speak with the children in the orphanage, that should open an event tile in the second stage (slightly hidden behind a tree). If you want the happy end, activate it, if not, ignore it.
After that just continue to the the last stage.

If you activated the event tile in the first chapter, a event tile should be open in the fourth stage of the second level. Again activate it for the happy end. again, after that just continue to the the last stage.

In the third chapter, you can't skip most stages, beat the bosses instead. The fourth stage that is also the only skipable stage in this chapter, has an event tile, activate for happy end. After that comes the last stage with another boss battle.

In the fourth and last chapter, activate the event tile in the first stage, if you do you will get the good end, since its the last event tile. after that, again, continue on up to the final boss, that was it.

Additional hints, containing spoilers:
In the later half of the last Chapter, you will lose your team members, at least in the first playthrough, train some monsters in chapter 3 if this is your first playthrough.
You might also want to hire the demons in the first battle of chapter 4.
After the credits you can save/chose the setting for your next playthrough, the second choice with the long name is the normal mode the other one is the Demon Lord mode.

Screenshots:
2vt1wu9.jpg

ipm97s.jpg

v73wcw.jpg

23hoffo.jpg

2lc04qu.jpg

mh60k6.jpg

2hhkvhj.jpg

i56c6g.jpg

2a0jadf.jpg

Last edited by ChepChep,

DragonRagnarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the support. well i have tried other forums for help, but so far i have one person and its temporary help for now. so i'm still searching for more help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Although PSP translation has happened it is not quite as mature as some of the other consoles so although it may seem redundant it is considered good form to post a few pictures with the text changed- it does not matter if it is partially translated or just the Roman alphabet/lorem ipsum a few times just to say that you can actually hack.

Even better yet if in addition to the above if you actually detail a few file formats (the encodings, the pointers (if any), what there is in the way of placeholders and formatting, any line length limits and such) and a rough overview of where things are in the file that makes it even more attractive.

DragonRagnarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well this is my first translation. so i'm not sure what else to do beside asking for hackers and translators. well i have unpacked SCRIPTPACK.dat, START_JP.dat, BGPACK.dat ,ANMPACK.dat and MAPPACK.dat. i will post what in each folder in the first post in a few seconds

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
While I couldn't care less as Lu Pucelle Tactics on PS2 was my only hated Nippon Ichi title for the system, I wish you luck in your project. Any plans on using the already existing script from the PS2 version for shared content, or do you intend to do a translation from scratch?

DragonRagnarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was originally my first plan to try to inject the PS2 scripts into the psp, but not sure how to go about it. its possible but it could also reject the ps2 scripts. i want to try both. does anyone knows any way to inject the ps2 scripts into the psp???

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Likely depends on the game. See if you can get in contact with the people behind the Way of the Samurai / Samurai Dou Portable translation, as they just used the PS2 script themselves IIRC.

Wish they would do it for the second game as well.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Likely depends on the game. See if you can get in contact with the people behind the Way of the Samurai / Samurai Dou Portable translation, as they just used the PS2 script themselves IIRC.

Wish they would do it for the second game as well.

Send Rolen74 on the Gamefaq's boards a PM and ask him how he did it. He's a nice guy so i'm sure he'll reply and i'm pretty sure you post on those boards....or maybe even ask him on his Wiki page.

DragonRagnarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if this works then half of the job is done then, and all that is left is the new content such as the party banter, Overlord Prier story, DLCs and new side secret characters such as Laharl and CO. well i'm asking Rolen74 right now. Also thanks for the info.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also interested in helping. I have gotten about as far as you have with getting at the files but I cannot seem to find a table anywhere to map pointers to characters.

I have no issue with programming and can make any tool I need in python. I am mostly new to the PSP translation scene. I am trying to figure this all out.

Let me know if you have found anything else interesting in the iso of the game since I cannot seem to find a way to insert text into the game. I would really like to get the menus translated since it should be rather easy if I can insert text and use the translation from here:

http://linka13.livejournal.com/67774.html#cutid1

Anyways let me know if you still need help.

-ChepChep

Reactions: Linka

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made some real progress this morning. I found where most of the menus are located and hex edit it to display English characters. Most of the menus are in the eboot.bin. I decrypted it and then was able to insert the English characters. The good news is that the game already has good font support for English characters built in. I was able to find "smaller" sized English characters which will help fit in the space without having to rewrite all the pointers and etc.

Here is my first screenshot with English inserted into the main menu.

i3be5g.jpg

If anyone is still interested in helping let me know. I hope to get many of the menus done this Labor day weekend since I am off from work.

I may move all this work to my own web server so that we can pass files back and forth.

-ChepChep

Reactions: Cyberdrive

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not really sure what I need. I started yesterday and got this far in 24 hours. Mostly just trying to gauge interest in this project. I know I am going to need help getting the script from the PS2 version since I do not know any Japanese and I want to avoid google / literal translation.

-ChepChep

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I know I am going to need help getting the script from the PS2 version since I do not know any Japanese and I want to avoid google / literal translation.

Well i own the PAL version of the PS2 game (actually own a retail copy, not i've downloaded an ISO) so if there are simple things you might need from the data (and can instruct me how to source what you'd need) then fire away.

La Pucelle was always a great game (my PS2 save is on Gamefaqs) so exposing more people to it will be a great thing.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a USA version for PS2. My frustration was that I hardly play it it anymore since I rarely get a chance to use the TV with PS2 between wife and kids. La Pucelle is one of the few game really would like to play on a portable system.

The file formats so far do not look that horrible. I may need to hex edit in the entire translation but it should be possible with the various tools I have found since I can pack and unpack all the files using nispack (ruby) and nisunpack (java) that have been developed for Disgaea 4 fan translation for PS3. They all work on the psp version.

-ChepChep

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got another menu translated tonight. Ran into a minor issue in that for some reason the smaller font is missing some letters like v, x and y so I had to use the "larger" font to get the characters to appear. It messed up the spacing as you can see in this new screenshot. I am not too worried since my goal is to try to make the game playable. If anyone has any idea where to find the fonts to modify them let me know. I may just need to try every possible hex combination to find it.

-ChepChep

Here is the new menu:

xnybdz.jpg

Reactions: nryn99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but... +1