Gaming PSP Joystick

XXPX1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I bought a used, slightly damaged PSP from a friend. I have fully repaired it myself up to this point and now I need some help. There is not much I can tell you about the PSP, what I do know is that it was "water" damaged but how it was or how it was cared for afterwards was not specified.

The joystick! I have a very loose understanding of how it functions, simply explaining how it works may provide insight on how my problem could be resolved (please, no smart ass responses, I know how and what it does but not on a detailed level).

The problem: Constantly moving down at a very rapid rate.

My attempts at fixing it:
1) Look for calibration settings
2) Identify if it's the analog stick or something else
3) Check for dirt, grime or anything that could cause the joystick to be pressed downwards physically.
4) Look for anything that does not look like it's suppose to be there. (Based on pictures and videos from the web.)

Results
1) No calibration settings found (please correct me if I am wrong for this could save so much time)
2) It is not the analog stick to my knowledge. I have completely removed the analog stick (Can provide pictures) and turned on the PSP and it still moves downwards. This makes me believe it was something on the PSP.
3) Dirt, grime or other misc. objects were not found, the joystick springs back into the default position. (And with knowledge from the previous test, I don't believe the joystick is even the problem.)
4) Well, nothing I noticed. However, when I tap the metal piece directly below the joystick, the cursor/whatever moves downwards. Never any other direction. This may not mean anything but I just observed it so, I think it might be helpful to state.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance... Having done so much work on this unit would really upset me if the joystick didnt work (since from what I've played, a good amount of gameplay has the joystick involved, and if it's involved, going downwards 100% of the time is now always good =P)

XXPX1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, actually I believe that's the problem. After tinkering a bit more with it, I found out its a pressure issue with the connection between the PSP's motherboard and the analog stick.

Honestly, that stupid rubber piece is just a crappy design imo. (Piece that connects the contacts of the analog stick with the contacts of the motherboard).

So, Im going to find the screws for the face plate and hope that works. The only thing is, I bought it used and it came without the screws (hopefully the guy I bought it from still has them.)

Thanks for the reply

S

scubersteve

XXPX1 said:
No, actually I believe that's the problem. After tinkering a bit more with it, I found out its a pressure issue with the connection between the PSP's motherboard and the analog stick.

Honestly, that stupid rubber piece is just a crappy design imo. (Piece that connects the contacts of the analog stick with the contacts of the motherboard).

So, Im going to find the screws for the face plate and hope that works. The only thing is, I bought it used and it came without the screws (hopefully the guy I bought it from still has them.)

Thanks for the reply
mmm... yes...
This is the very reason I sold my psp.
In return, I got a DS lite with an broken touch screen
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.