Gaming Psp Jargon Dictionary, a dictionary of terms

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I first entered the PSP scene, I had limited knowledge of file names and terms used with forums. Though, now that I have a bit more knowledge, I think I could create a PSP Jargon Dictionary.
Here is a list of words and terms that you may come across in forums or websites:

Types of PSPs
PSP-1000 - FAT / Original PSP OR PSP FAT
PSP-2000 - Slim PSP OR PSP Slim
PSP-3000 - Brite PSP OR PSP Brite
PSP-N1000 - PSP Go

PSP regions
PSP-x000 - Japan
PSP-x001 - US / North America
PSP-x002 - Australia / New Zealand
PSP-x003 - UK
PSP-x004 - Europe
PSP-x005 - Korea
PSP-x006 - Hong Kong / Singapore
PSP-x007 - Taiwan
PSP-x008 - CIS
PSP-x009 - China
PSP-x010 - Central / South America
x = 1,2,3,N1

File Formats
EBOOT.PBP - A File format that is usable by the PSP. PSP's way of packaging a bunch of files. Sorta like a folder or .rar file.
.iso - An image of a disc/UMD
.cso - A compressed image of a disc/UMD
.ctf - Custom Theme; Requiring custom firmware
.ptf - Theme that works on OFW and CFW
.prx - A file format used for plugins.
.pmf - A video format of the PSP. Also usable on the PC.

1st Letter U is UMD, beta or demo. N means playstation network. HB is usually a demo a special demo.
2nd Letter L is UMD. P PSN. C Beta or demo.
3rd Letter U USA. E Europe. J Japan. A Asia. 1-9 demos betas and some other stuff rather not go over it
4th Letter is where it gets crazy some are numbers others are letters. Also some of them cross over making it insane to put them all into a category. S M G Z S H D T
ULUS
ULJM
NPUG
NPEG
NPEZ
ULES
NPEH
UCUS
UCED
UCET
UCUT
UCET
NPJH
ULAS
HB gets crazy afterwards
By Rasas

Types of ISO Labels
Clean - Untouched copy of the UMD put into a ISO format.
Patched - A backup that has a fix applied to it so it can bypass AP. May also be patched for translation/alterations.
Cracktro - A introduction made by the game "cracker" which then leads to the game. Also known as Cracked Intro
Nuked - A backup that has been labeled bad. Normally a bad dump causes this.
Cracked - A backup that allows bypassing of AP. Normally done by the dump uploader.
Full - The complete backup, also known as clean.
Ripped - Very large files removed from the ISO to make smaller. Still able to work however (Normally videos or music files are stripped from the ISO).
Downsampled - BGM, voices, and/or movies had their quality lowered to a smaller yet still very playable condition.

Firmware/Homebrew related
Firmware - The "Operating System" of the PSP.
Homebrew - A release of software / game made by individuals outside of Sony. (Do not work for Sony) Normally made to utilise the consoles full abilities.
CFW / Custom Firmware - A firmware made to run back up games.
OFW / Official Firmware - A firmware released by Sony PSP.
SE - An older custom firmware by Dark_Alex.

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Rydian, I knew .eboot sounded funny
laugh.gif

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also add in that PSP-2001, 2002, 2003 etc. are all the same thing. The last digit just indicates where they came from.

I know 2001 means North America.

Also: You can add common abbreviations for popular games, i.e. MGS:PW, MHFU, GoW:CoO, etc. This may take a while and will require a lot of patience.

Also2: PSNLover = PSNFucker. PSP:2 =/= PSP2.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSN - Playstation Network
Upgrade - Obvious
NitePr - Cheat Plugin like CW Cheat
Scene - Groups that dump roms, patch games and various other things
Homebrew - PSP can run this they may be games/apps/emulators
M2 - Memory Stick used by the PSP Go.
UMD - Universal Media Disc basically the disc that has the game, movie and or app on it.
Dax - Dark Alex a important member of the PSP scene
Remote Play - Allows certain features to be accessed by linking the PSP and PS3 wireless better off you doing the explanation
ULUS ULJM NPUG NPEG - Code Region Of game and sourceThere are several more but I don't know them all
Recovery Mode - Not sure how to explain it
Patched, Cracked, Clean - Various things a scene release would be. I probably am messing up but you get the idea.
Hacked, Modded - Various terms in front of the psp to display that they have CFW or have a mod physically
Faceplate - A piece of casing that is easily removed and replaced to give the PSP a visual difference.
NAND - Not sure how to explain it
Micro SDHC to MS Pro Duo Adapter - A hardware device that allows Micro SDs to be used for storage instead of a pricey MS - Memory Stick Please note you can use SDHC cards with another hardware attachment.
UMD GEN - Program used to modify ISO and CSO images as well as create them. There are others like this but this is the most popular I think Iso Tool is quite good as well

I figure this isn't important but do people really say slim psp I thought they say PSP slim eh might be wrong not that important

prx - Not sure how to explain
Exploit - A method to run code or other things on the PSP
PSP states might be named incorrectly - A plugin allowing you to use RTS PSP 2000 only
Macrofire and JoySens - Plugins
VSH - Menu that has several options
TV Out might be named incorrectly - Some models (2000) could be play on the TV and a plugin helped make it easier not sure what it was called but it existed.
Decrypt - Obvious
Encrypted ad Encrypt - Obvious
Flash 0-1 maybe 2- Location where firmware information is stored
1.5 Firmware - Some homebrew only worked on this firmware but were later modify to run on others
Wifi/Wlan/ADHOC - Wireless connection used by the PSP WLAn is also important

Aren't there level of bricks like first is semi brick, full brick and the other one not sure.

PMF - Video file for PSP it can be run on the PC as well
DLC or addon - Downloadable content that add things to your game
SVD or whatever it was called - Development Kit I think

Is the resolution on the PSP go the same never mind not that important and probably is smaller or the same due to smaller screen size.

LBP - Little Big Planet
MH - Monster Hunter
ACB - Assassin's Creed Bloodlines
AC SL - Armored Core Silent Line
AC LR - Armored Core Last Raven
AC3 - Armored Core 3
AC FF or ACFF - Armored Core Formula Front
ACJA there are some others..... - Ace Combat Joint Assault
ACSD there are some others..... - Ace Combat Skies of Deception
AVP Reqium or AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

Some of the others share a name with another like DS Dual Screen and DS demon souls so I prefer not to post them
Nevermind I am done armored core AC and ace combat AC not to mention FFCC and the CCFF thingy and the others which make this seem really really bad.

Lets go over region codes real quick

1st Letter U is UMD, beta or demo. N means playstation network. HB is usually a demo a special demo.
2nd Letter L is UMD. P PSN. C Beta or demo.
3rd Letter U USA. E Europe. J Japan. A Asia. 1-9 demos betas and some other stuff rather not go over it
4th Letter is where it gets crazy some are numbers others are letters. Also some of them cross over making it insane to put them all into a category. S M G Z S H D T
ULUS
ULJM
NPUG
NPEG
NPEZ
ULES
NPEH
UCUS
UCED
UCET
UCUT
UCET
NPJH
ULAS
HB gets crazy afterwards

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
POPS - PlayStation emulator on the PSP
Popsloader - Plugin that allows you to use different versions of POPS to play your PlayStation games. This is needed because some firmware's POPS have better compatibility than others.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
QUOTE said:
1.5 Firmware - Some homebrew only worked on this firmware but were later modify to run on others
Untrue. There are still some pieces of software that can only run on the 1.5 kernel. Like the image viewer PeP. I've never checked into if there's a way to run those on a slim though, 'cause I have a phat,

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Recovery Mode =/= Service Mode (Service mode is Pandora - Requires a pandora's battery and MMS, Recovery Mode is a _menu_ built into CFW, normal PSP's don't have it. Entered by holding R while booting up.)

Semi-Brick (Region Brick) This is when the settings are corrupted on Flash1. Shows a Blue Screen. Also by downgrading to 1.5, it's normal.

You also might want to add SE/OE (Special Edition/Open Edition) to the list of CFW's. It's an OLD CFW by Dark_Alex.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add the term "downsampled" to your ISO labels category.

Downsampled - BGM, voices, and/or movies had their quality lowered to a smaller yet still very playable condition.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Dr Eggman said:
USBHostFS/NetHostFS - An application, where a PC is the host, and the PSP the client. Either by USB or Network, all Memory Stick accesses get redirected to the PC.
To clarify, this is mainly used for loading ISOs from the PC instead of your memory stick.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Small nitpick: The unhackable motherboard is TA088v3. You missed the 0.

And while we're at it: IPL and Pre-IPL.

Essentially, the Pre-IPL tells the PSP where to boot the firmware from. The Pre-IPLs on the 1000 and old 2000 models have been cracked, and this is how we can use a pandora battery to install CFW with them. Newer 2000s and 3000s with the v3 motherboard have a new Pre-IPL which hasn't been cracked, which is why pandora batteries don't work with them.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rasas said:
Flash 0-1 maybe 2- Location where firmware information is stored

flash0 is where firmware is stored, flash1 is settings AFAIK (e.g. user name, wifi setup, theme etc.). Dunno what flash2 is.

QUOTE said:
Firmware 1.50 - The only firmware that allowed Homebrew on it. Some old homebrew required this firmware to work.

Actually, FW1.00 (launch OFW in Japan) was the only FW that allowed unsigned code to run. There was a major flaw in 1.50 which was exploit by kxploit to allow homebrew to run direct from the XMB, but it didn't actually "allow" homebrew.

Jolan said:
TBH, Pandora works on 88v3, we just can't get the pre-IPL to load the FW from the memory stick.

Very true, because the exploit in the pre-IPL that existed in older models, allowing the creation of custom IPLs (and therefore both CFW and Pandora Magic Memory Sticks), was fixed. By the 3000, service mode was changed (probably. its certainly not the same, and probably wasn't removed, so Sony can still fix bricked PSPs), so it couldn't be accessed by service mode batteries.

EDIT: Found this:

Flash0: Firmware files.
Flash1: Settings and preferences.
Flash2: Holds the "act.dat" file which holds Playstation Store activation, purchases etc etc.
Flash3: Nothing really, just empty.

Source: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-discussio...-questions.html

Figured it'd be useful.

Backed up by : http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PSP-Gen...589381#M3005412 which says pretty much the same thing.

EDIT: Also, is there any chance of getting the title of the thread changed to have PSP in all caps? It looks really improfessional as it is IMO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu