PSP is testing out UMD-less possiblities

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by iwakura, May 6, 2009.

May 6, 2009
  1. iwakura
    OP

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/umd-les...other-brick-in/

With wifi capabiltiies and slots for external storage, you'd think this would have occured sooner. Sony is making patapon 2 available for download through wifi. This is something I brought up long ago when asked about what I would like to see nintendo do about flash carts and copyright infringment. I said that nintendo should make games available for download through their online store. This would greatly cut down costs of production, along with making it easier for people to get the games they want, and for a cheaper price. We would also be able to carry more than one game with us at a time. Flash carts would still be around of course, but buying the game wouldn't seem nearly that bad anymore. What do you guys think?

2. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Too early to say. I will wait for further information. It is still hard to say. I will not judge by this little information just yet.

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Pretty stupid in my opinion. If the PSP could connect to a satellite like the iPhone this would be great. But being restricted by wi-fi sucks. There isn't that many places that offer free wifi. Unless you want to go to mcdonalds or stay home to download a game or movie.

4. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Retarded as it comes. This country isn't setup for that kind of service yet by far as most don't have high speed in their home setup to do this, and most people are lazy so they're not going to find a free hotspot to grab games. So what if they put a box with a lame sheet with a pin# on it, solves nothing. It's just a really bad idea, and also many people like to own what they buy, not just get dicked one day when the parent company says 'move on, we're forcing you.' Also, one must consider the fact you're paying the same at retail as a download for Patapon 2, and how is that fair? Retail you're paying for the box, manual, printed crap, and shipping to stores so the straight download should reflect lower price.

5. iwakura
    OP

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    i'm not really defending or promoting sony's move, but I personally find it nice to have the choice to put it on a memory card and download it online. Sure, not everybody has wifi, and they should have lowered price. but being able to carry multiple games on removable storage...that's a huge plus to me.

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Yes it is a huge plus as I said, but the price is bullshit being the same as the store version with a lame piece of paper in place of a umd, that and the fact many couldn't easily download the games which can stop them from selling true potential.

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Well if full scale downloading of games via wi-fi happens I know there will be region locks which means an import handheld console like what happened with the DSi. since all the good stuff will be unlikely appear on the US version of the handheld. However the idea is good and cost-efficient but may be a slight or major inconvience for someone like me who likes to import from time to time.

8. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My PSP had UMD-less possibilities for years now! [​IMG]

9. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines

so true

i never bought a single umd yet

10. Zidapi

Member Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Re: Topic title.
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo have been using UMD-less methods for the DS since it's release. It's about time Sony caught up. Figures that yet again Sony would copy Nintendo yet again! The nerve of them >:(

lol