Hacking PSP hacking/modding F.A.Q.

drobb

Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, im totally lost with all this HBL, HEN etc. I have a system already on 5.50 Gen D i think it is with prom 4. Is it worth moving up to one of the 6.xx's and if so how do i go about doing it. I dont due much in the way of homebrew, just mostly games (iso/cfo) and ps1 games. Thanks

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it's that cut and dry....the best advice for that question is to tell people to pick up each console and feel the weight, size and view the screen differences. Many people find the better, more solid, construction of the 1000 outweighs the disadvantage of TV out (plus IR can mess with people's heads) and the RAM whilst talked about a lot is a minor quibble when playing from MS.

The biggest issue with the 1000 is the d pad being set too low and requiring a relatively easy self mod to make it better. All later models of the PSP fixed this. Honestly the screen isn't that big a deal...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I left in the pandora info (because it's important), but linked to the wikipedia article so people could check other other differences, as yeah you're right there's some stuff that would only matter to some people.

EDIT: Or should I make a chart of the features?

EDIT2: Preliminary chart.

modelcomparison.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit confused...

The softmod-guide sticky seems to suggest that if you're on firmware above 5.03, your PSP 3000 won't be semi-hackable and, therefore, you can't load PSP/PS1 games. This FAQ, however, seems to state otherwise, as the 3000 series is listed as semi-hackable if the firmware is 6.36 or below.
unsure.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The softmod sticky has a 6.35 semi-hackable section (it's the bottom one), and while some of the links are dead, I uploaded them to filetrip and posted (latest post in that thread).

6.35 PRO-B3 has proper/custom PSX/PS1 game loading now, the 6.x hacks originally didn't (it's only in the latest versions it works).

Waiting on prowler to update it.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Obviously, If I use cfw I won't be able to download from the psn onto my psp. But what about downloading something via my ps3 and then transfering it to my psp?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you can buy many from the PSN, and if you set up both a US and EU account you have access to a good(ish) selection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple