Hardware PSP Go questions

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking into getting a PSP Go. My PSP 1000 is nice and I'll still keep it for being a piracy/homebrew system but the Go looks a lot more portable and generally better. So I have some questions...

- First off, game prices. I know some of the game prices ($30 for new games, $20 for Greatest Hits, $10 for some games/PSOne Classics, etc), but there's some games in a gray area that I'm not quite sure what the pricing is. Even the official Sony page for the Playstation Store lacks price listings, just what's on there. I have no doubts on the expansiveness of the library, I'd just like to know some pricing and file sizes. Anyone got a list with all that?

- Second off, I've been looking into a used system and I saw this on the Gamestop website. Seems kinda fishy though considering its a used PSP 3000 is $10 more and the Go is kinda "premium system". And Gamestop isn't exactly the friendliest group of people, so if I get gipped, I have a feeling I'll just be out $110 (which would suck a lot). Is it a refurbished PSP Go or is there something in the fine print I'm not reading?

- Are there any differences between the PSP Go firmware and standard PSP firmware outside of the omission of UMD options? Just a small curiosity.

- Since I've been with CFW since day one of my PSP and haven't done anything relating to online gaming, are there any PSP games with good online communities? Seems like with handheld games that the online community would dwindle pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Guild McCommunist said:
I've been looking into getting a PSP Go. My PSP 1000 is nice and I'll still keep it for being a piracy/homebrew system but the Go looks a lot more portable and generally better. So I have some questions...

- First off, game prices. I know some of the game prices ($30 for new games, $20 for Greatest Hits, $10 for some games/PSOne Classics, etc), but there's some games in a gray area that I'm not quite sure what the pricing is. Even the official Sony page for the Playstation Store lacks price listings, just what's on there. I have no doubts on the expansiveness of the library, I'd just like to know some pricing and file sizes. Anyone got a list with all that?

- Second off, I've been looking into a used system and I saw this on the Gamestop website. Seems kinda fishy though considering its a used PSP 3000 is $10 more and the Go is kinda "premium system". And Gamestop isn't exactly the friendliest group of people, so if I get gipped, I have a feeling I'll just be out $110 (which would suck a lot). Is it a refurbished PSP Go or is there something in the fine print I'm not reading?

- Are there any differences between the PSP Go firmware and standard PSP firmware outside of the omission of UMD options? Just a small curiosity.

- Since I've been with CFW since day one of my PSP and haven't done anything relating to online gaming, are there any PSP games with good online communities? Seems like with handheld games that the online community would dwindle pretty quickly.

Thanks.
Off the top of my head:
1.Pause game feature that allows you to hibernate system RAM so it can be restored even after the system is power cycled. This allows your lcfw to be restored as well, kinda nifty.
2.Battery % is not shown, only 3 bars. Can't be hacked in.
3.Cool little time/date display when you close slider.
Nice little system, I think you'll like it. Best thing about it is that it's very small and pocket-friendly. Nice screen too.
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that the PSP Go is a great investment. Just don't get the "SuperCharged Ultimate Haxorz Will-make-your-brain-explode" PSP Go. That's a rip off. You're best off buying a new one.

CFW is really useful. Main reason to get it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I think that the PSP Go is a great investment. Just don't get the "SuperCharged Ultimate Haxorz Will-make-your-brain-explode" PSP Go. That's a rip off. You're best off buying a new one.

CFW is really useful. Main reason to get it.

Well there's a $100 difference between a new system and the one I was looking at. I know new systems come with LBP, SOCOM, and Ratchet and Clank, but they're not really necessities to me. I'd rather just buy a used system and buy the games I want.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the PSPgo has an added pause(single savestate-like saveslot) option in the exit/home-button menu
a clock mode(slide screen down in the xmb)
and bluetooth-related options.

aside from that any firmware differences are under the hood(not visible/noticeable to users)

low prices can easily be explained by bad sales.
nobody buys them(no umd drive, limited selection of games on psn) so shops keep lowering the price.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
nobody buys them(no umd drive, limited selection of games on psn) so shops keep lowering the price.

There's actually a lot of games on the Playstation Store. People just bitched because Kingdom Hearts wasn't on there, but no one actually gives a shit. The selection seems to cover most anything I've wanted.

And I know the sales were bad, but usually they go for $130 used. I'm just wondering why this one is so much cheaper.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with the PSN store is the pricing. Retails stores have sales and are in direct competion, whereas the PSN can price games however it likes. More often than not you can find the equivalent games on UMD for a fraction of the price.

My main issue with the Go, aside from the form factor and buttons, and of course screen size and battery, and not forgetting the proprietary adapters for accessories and abandonment of the Pro Duo standard is that fact that you're locked into Sony for your games and if they said all games now cost £1 million billion bars of Gold there'd be nothing you could do.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
thedicemaster said:

There's actually a lot of games on the Playstation Store. People just bitched because Kingdom Hearts wasn't on there, but no one actually gives a shit. The selection seems to cover most anything I've wanted.

And I know the sales were bad, but usually they go for $130 used. I'm just wondering why this one is so much cheaper.
US PSN is probably much better than the EU one.
several of the games i'm really missing on PSN:
YS 7, kingdom hearts, DJmax portable 3, NFS undercover, FF VII crisis core, naruto ultimate ninja heroes(any version), M.A.C.H.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truthfully, before CFW and Signing, i couldnt suggest a PSP GO to anyone except someone who wanted a second PSP for some reason. (I got mine at launch as a birthday present).

Though, now with all the new features, i'd say its one of the best ones to get. Theres nothing permanent as far as CFW goes yet, but with Signing and such, you can easily play games while still on OFW. (Hell, i believe signed stuff works above 6.36). And the 16 Gig built in memory and the ability to expand that is a major plus.

As far as PSN goes, meh......theres some pretty good value games that i would suggest to almost anyone, and Sony has been doing alot of sales lately (Mostly for PS1 games, but some good PSP ones too)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Guild McCommunist said:
- Since I've been with CFW since day one of my PSP and haven't done anything relating to online gaming, are there any PSP games with good online communities? Seems like with handheld games that the online community would dwindle pretty quickly.I would say PS:P2 but it's kinda dead if you just go online looking for partys. Join pso-world forums and you'll soon find it isn't all that dead.
There is always Xlink Kai for Monster Hunter and such.QUOTE(dgwillia @ Mar 19 2011, 11:45 PM) Theres nothing permanent as far as CFW goes yet
There is tn-d permanent.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
US PSN is probably much better than the EU one.
several of the games i'm really missing on PSN:
YS 7, kingdom hearts, DJmax portable 3, NFS undercover, FF VII crisis core, naruto ultimate ninja heroes(any version), M.A.C.H.

I'm pretty sure Ys 7 and Crisis Core are on PSN over here. Although out of all those games, I wouldn't bother with any of them.

QUOTE(thatsit @ Mar 21 2011, 12:30 AM) Are you sure you can't find a cheaper go? You can find a new one pretty easily for $100 in canada

Not on Amazon/local game shops. And I'm not a fan of Ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong