PSP Brick Protection & Brick Recovery

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by tanrigt, Apr 7, 2010.

Apr 7, 2010
  1. tanrigt
    OP

Newcomer tanrigt Newbie

United States
    Hi guys, i have a psp slim and just got 5.00 m33-6 installed using Hellcats 1.6 flasher. What is the best and easiest way to recover from a brick/semi-brick? Do you guys recommend backing up my PSP NAND or suggest installing some additional psp firmware, apps etc... other precautionary measures? Just want to know before i start messing with my psp some more. Thanks again.

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Pandora battery. Virtually saves you from every software brick. Make your mspd into a mms as well so you can use it. You still can use it as a normal mspd still.

3. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    if you didnt use a pandora yet, backup the keyvault.

pandora will trash it.

4. tanrigt
    OP

Newcomer tanrigt Newbie

United States
    I used the softmod method without the pandora and mms. Do i really have to make both of those, i really dont want to make an mms or purchase/make a pandora battery. Other methods without using them?

5. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Nope. Well besides being careful there isn't. A pandora is only $10 at most.

Oh forgot to mention you can use the recovery menu to use hellcats in case but never hurts to have a pandora when you can't access the recovery menu.

6. mayhem366

Member mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    A pandora's battery really is a brilliant thing to have, saved my ass several times. I used to just use my pandora's battery as my battery but have recently found out that it slowed down the psp for some reason, now that i have a non-pandora one as well, games load so much quicker.

I have not tried software methods of brick recovery but a nand backup is definitly handy to have, as well as backing up your MS often, lost some shit from there several times and stuff randomly just becomes corrupt based on some plugins fudging up and stuff.

7. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    once your firmware is in, i cant see how you'd brick it.
    it's not like a wii! [​IMG]

one bit of advice,
    sometimes you should copy all your stuff from the card,
    format it in the psp,
    then put the stuff back on.

you'l know when - it will start to slow down on loading or saving.
    the card's frag like a harddrive & slow down.

on my cards, a freshly formatted card can load at about 7m per second from the pc,
    after i'v loaded & deleted maybe half a dozen games i'm testing [​IMG] it drops to about 2.5m a second.

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    You can recover from a semi-brick by hellcats recovery flasher.
    Full bricks need Pandora and MMS.

If you are careful, you won't really need one if you're not touching the flash.
    I did all sorts on my PSP, downgrading, upgrading, touching the flash files. Not one brick and I didn't have a Pandora.
    Well, only time I had Pandora was when I softmodded my own battery to upgrade to 6.20 and downgrade back down again to play the God Eater demo.

Also, don't try the NAND backup.
    There have been a few reports of people doing that to recover from semi-brick and it turned into a full brick.
    Safe way from a semi-brick is just using hellcats.

9. tanrigt
    OP

Newcomer tanrigt Newbie

United States
    Don't have a pandora battery right now, i will probably just get one if my psp gets fully bricked. Can i still make a MMS without a pandora battery?