OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey all,

I've just finished my "Beginners Guide To PSP homebrew; from box to play". As the title says I cover everything from opening the box and checking if the PSP is okay and capable of running homebrew up to (and including) running homebrew. I cover the Lumines exploit together with the latest M33 custom firmware (3.52 M33-2) and many great homebrew applications/games such as bookr, scummvm (I've included Beneath A Steel Sky for download), Snes9XTYL, NesterJ, Rin and others.

The homebrew I provide is ready to put on your PSP and be run directly providing PD roms for systems if I could find them (and as I stated earlier I've included Beneath A Steel Sky for ScummVM). I've also tried to make the install of custom easier by including all separate files needed already named and placed correctly. Anyway to learn more I'd say download the guide
wink.gif

Download the guide and zip file

Enjoy!

Scorpei

JohnDrake

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So far this guide really looks fantastic. And I needed something like this for my Brother, who is about to get his first PSP next month.

To be quite honest, I'm a bit of a PSP noob myself. Even though I've owned a PSP for a while, I had to get someone else to downgrade my machine for me. I was just too afraid to do it myself. Now that person has moved away and I'm stuck with an outdated custom firmware. I'm probably going to use this info to get myself back into the scene.

Thanks for all your hardwork. This came at just the right time.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a quick glance at this yesterday night and it's verrry n00b friendly!
happy.gif

I'll definitely be recommending this to some PSP-n00bly friends...
wink.gif

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda off-topic, but 1. You got your old ava back [M]! 2. Congrats on 1700 posts!
biggrin.gif
(DAMN that was off-topic, wasn't it
tongue.gif
)

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Glad you all like it. I've really tried to make it as easy as possible with lots of images and pre-setup files for the downgrade and etc.. Feel free to quote my announcement above elsewhere as I don't really know where the PSP holds out (I know most of the DS and other bigN websites but not that many PSP sites) and spread the word
smile.gif

Cheers,
Scorpei

p.s. If you could mail me where you put the links that would be great as then I can get an idea where to look for PSP news
wink.gif

CSD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, what a terrific guide, Scorpei! You've obviously put a lot of time and care into this and it is very much appreciated. Great work!

I will probably use the GTA:LCS exploit since I have a 2.81, but I should be able to use your guide from step 6 and up, correct?

Thanks for the guide.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jup, as soon as you are running 1.50 after your downgrade you should be able to go on from step 6. One thing though, you might want to look out with the GTA exploit if the downgrader you use supports TA-082+ or not (and if you might have a TA-082+). If it doesn't you might want to use the downgrader supplied with my zip file instead (should be possible, as soon as you are under ***HEN take the downgrader files from my zip file.

---- downgrader from my zip can be used by taking the GAME folder from the downgrader (located zip:/exploit/downgrade/PSP) and putting it in your root:/PSP folder. You should then see the x.yz update in your game/memorystick menu. Haven't tested this myself though so I can't say anything with 100% certainty but should work without problems
smile.gif
----

CSD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've got a TA-82 motherboard, but the downgrader I have is supposed to auto-patch it according to this tutorial.

Scorpei, I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Both questions are in regard to the PSP folder that I copy to the root of the memory stick.

First, should the name of the folder, "PSP," be in capital letters? And does the name of the sub-folder, "GAME," also have to be in capital letters? In the version I have, both are written in lower case letters.

Second, when it comes to PSP>GAME, should that folder only contain the UPDATE folder? Because this is the one I have:

Files.jpg

I got the files from the tutorial I linked in my previous post, but have found another tutorial that linked to files that only contained the UPDATE folder. I'm a bit confused. Have they been left out of the latter or superfluously included in the former?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the answers elsewhere. (Here to be exact.)

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post.
lecture.gif
- Ace

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
this is a good guide... I had my psp downgraded before. and i upgraded it to 2.71... and now i'm going to try to down- and upgrade it again to something better.... (and I don't own lumines
tongue.gif
)

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Scorpei! I was just looking into what FW version PSP I need to buy, so this is much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

It seems like I may be able to get a v1.5 fw PSP. Am I good to go from step 6 of this guide or do I have to first modify the official Sony firmware in some way?

Cheers! Again, great guide!

QUOTE said:
Anyone else have problems with the zip file being corrupted?

Edit: Just a download error, second time downloaded worked fine...

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicates deleted. Don't double/triple post!
lecture.gif
- Ace

JohnDrake

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scorpei, I have to thank you. Several months after this guide was posted I was able to use this information to do my first PSP downgrade. It worked like a charm the very first time. I'm extremely happy with the results. The first time I had my PSP 1000 downgraded I had someone else do the dirty work.

Now that I'm a little more familiar with the process I'd like to try downgrading my PSP Slim. Unfortunately I've heard its a lot more challenging. Is there any chance you might do a similar guide to hacking the PSP Slim?

Many thanks.

yaypsp.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei, you should get a medal for everything you've done for the community. I don't even have a PSP yet, but I am definately going to read this from start to finish!

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Downgrading a slim requires pandora/magic memory stick thingy. Its not that hard. to make the magic memory stick, download totalnewbi-----------------

searching for the link for the totalnewbi installer, I found a nice guide with pics: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/591203

no need to do the job twice. If you already have a CFW phat psp, you can use this to convert the battery to a pandora battery, and back:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/dlqjnet/14675_pan3...4ui%2Fk1wJ3A%3D

just remember to back up the batterys flash (nand?)

edit: this is a response to JohnDrake... forgot to quote.

1c3d3m0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The guide is great, but sadly, it only applies to PSP phat, is there another similar-quality guide anywhere else fpr PSP Slim?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over