Gaming PSP-3K: 5.03GEN-A Custom Firmware Coming Tomorrow?

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's up, it's legit, I'm running it right now. Rejoice.
biggrin.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/241302533/503g..._1244244166.zip

It includes English instructions, there are more in-depth (but translated) instructions here. You'll probably want to read some Custom Firmware usage instructions too, so you know what to do afterwords.

---------
PSPGen has an announcement up noting that they will be releasing a custom firmware (5.03GEN-A) for the PSP-3000 tomorrow to celebrate their 4th birthday. The custom firmware would allow the PSP-3000 to play ISOs and PS1 games, filling in what HEN couldn't do. As proof that it's real, they have posted what appears to be a legit video of 5.03GEN-A being installed and used.

The video isn't entirely clear on how the custom firmware works, so it's not made obvious whether this is a one-time patching process, or if it requires a fresh patch (on top of HEN) at every boot.

We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
These custom firmwares would be so much better if the pre-IPL of the new mobo's were cracked. Then we would be able to load the custom firmwares straight on boot instead of having to execute them from HEN... either way I guess this is good though because now I'll get to try custom firmware on HEN but to be honest I still think Davee's HEN was excellent work and was very unexpected.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had this for about an hour now...time for me to get a slim.

side note- I just made a thread about this in the User Submitted, though I messed up the title. It'll get deleted probably anyway.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
does this install custom forever or do you have to enable it whenever you turn on and off the psp?

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lubbo said:
does this install custom forever or do you have to enable it whenever you turn on and off the psp?
There are two parts:

1) It has to write some additional support files to the on-board FlashROM that holds the firmware (note that it's not actually modifying the firmware proper)

2) It needs to actually boot the PSP in to the CFW.

When it's first run #1 must be done to get some support files written to the FlashROM. That is a one-time operation, and does not have to be done again.

However because there's no way to trick the PSP-3K in to booting unsigned firmware, it's impossible to actually write a normal custom firmware to the device that replaces the original firmware. Instead the OFW must be loaded if it's a cold boot, and then the system can be hacked by changing the contents of the RAM. So you'll have to enable it whenever you cold boot the PSP, first by using HEN to enable executing of unsigned binaries, and then using the GEN Loader to enable playing ISOs. So long as you don't shut your PSP off (rather you just put it to sleep) you won't need to repeat the process.

Individual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, I'm tempted to get one now. I'm still happy with my Phat but I've been looking to buy a new one, and think I just might with this news. I'll wait and see how this goes.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
is the latest official firmware 5.03? because it says you must be on 5.03 before you use this if it isn't the latest how do i upgrade to it?

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lubbo said:
is the latest official firmware 5.03? because it says you must be on 5.03 before you use this if it isn't the latest how do i upgrade to it?
The latest firmware is 5.50, which isn't hackable at this point. As someone else pointed out, you have to download and install 5.03 manually, since the auto-update feature would take you to 5.50.

Also, if you're going to get a PSP, get one now. PSPs shipping with 5.50 are undoubtedly going to show up soon. More than likely, every PSP-3K that is ever going to be hackable has already been manufactured.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: