Hacking PSP 3001 9g - Can't run custom PS1 games

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for the longest time I've been using a hackable PSP-2001 (Daxter bundle.) It has developed a number of hardware issues that just don't seem worth the time, money, and effort to fix and a while back I grabbed a PSP-3001 on eBay for a pretty good deal (and I was hoping it would have less blatant interlacing, but ugh, if it is I can't tell the difference.) Anyway, I started out going ahead with the latest 6.61 firmware and a build of Pro CFW specifically for it since Pro CFW is the one I'd been using the longest time with positively excellent results and my PS1 games which worked fine on the 2001 before wouldn't load. I assumed the issue was Popsloader (even though I also just tried using "original from flash" since none of my games really seem to have any special version requirements really.) I grabbed the new build of Popsloader that supports 6.61 and nothing has changed. I also tried disabling Popsloader entirely, but still no go. So I decided 6.61 really has no benefits that I know of anyway and downgraded to 6.60, installed the official 6.60 Pro-CFW C2 (which I guess is what I had on the PSP-2001, but can't check just atm.) Nothing has changed. I downgraded my copy of Popsloader to the previous version just in case that one only works on 6.61 (well, I doubt that, but had to be sure.) No change.

So here's the exact problem. When I try to load my custom built PS1 games I get the usual screen that normally would be the warning screen and then when it tries to actually load POPS (eg right after the point where if I'm holding R I would get the Popsloader menu and could select something) it flashes the memory card light a bit, then nothing. The screen stays black the whole time. No error messages or anything. Just an infinite black screen that stays there no matter how long I wait. I can press buttons and nothing happens. All I can do is hold the power button a few moments until the system shuts off. Nothing else in any way responds. (Well, if I press the display button the screen backlight goes off as it presumably switches to video output. I don't have a video cable handy to test though and if I press the button again it's still black, so I have to assume it's not budging past that initial black screen still.) Now, I want to be clear on one thing: these games run just perfectly fine on the PSP-2001. I've played them many times on it. I've read that the PSP 300x 9g has some POPS issues, but apparently it's mostly just with some older versions of POPS loaded in Popsloader if I've understood correctly. Since I've been using the original from flash and 6.20 on up, it should work unless I'm just completely misreading.

Am I misunderstanding something, or is it just not compatible or what? I really want my PS1 games back as it's actually for playing a couple of them on this thing more than anything else that inspired me to finally go back to my PSP in the first place. I'd really like to get this working ASAP if at all possible.

Perhaps not the best place to ask, but the places I used to use have all died on me. :-(

EDIT: BTW, Popsloader is the only plugin running in POPS. In fact, it's practically the only plugin at all. I'm only just using category_lite under VSH, the Project Diva patch under GAME, and finally just Popsloader under POPS. That's it. Everything else is disabled and was disabled on the 2001 system too.

Last edited by Nazosan,

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installed the official 6.60 Pro-CFW C2 (which I guess is what I had on the PSP-2001, but can't check just atm.)
Your 2000 might have had an earlier version, such as Pro C fix3 or some version of Pro B. The official builds of C2 have some issues, which were fixed in later, unofficial builds.

The lastest build fixes a pops issue, and using it I have no problems with custom ps1 eboots. I do remember having problems with ps1 games on earlier builds, so at the time I went back to Cfix3.

For reference, the official builds (maybe from here or here?) are from 2012/2013, the build that added 6.61 support is from January 2015, and the newest build from February 2015 fixed the pops issue.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to tell the truth I didn't know where to find newer builds and hadn't updated it in ages, so the 2001 was pretty much just using that last version from their official website -- which is C2. But the 2001 was working fine like I said. Of course, it's entirely possible for the two to be different in this respect. For one, it seems the 300x has differences in relation to POPS to begin with from what people have been saying. For another, the 2001 was a hackable model, so I was actually flashing the CFW as I like that a lot better than a LCFW and this could make for some differences in how it acts at times too.

Anyway, I grabbed that build you linked to and gave it a shot. Still an indefinite black screen both with and without Popsloader. I'm still wondering if this could be a 300x issue rather than a CFW issue.

Of note here: I clicked on their link to the change list. The only POPS issue mentioned is an issue when loading an encrypted POPS. Needless to say, I'm not encrypting my PS1 games. (Is that so you can load them on stock? Encrypt and somehow sign? Otherwise I don't get the point. But even then if you're using a CFW anyway it's really not that much trouble to boot it up, so I still don't see why it would be worth the trouble.) BTW, I don't have any PSN releases handy for testing right now. I never really bothered with PSN releases since I could just image my own game discs and build custom eboots with nicer icons and background screens than the PSN releases did anyway. (Ok, mine aren't great and compared to that other thread on here not even on the same scale, but I like them because they're mine, lol.)

EDIT: Just to be sure, since I'm back on 6.60 right now I went ahead and tried the (L)ME CFW that people seem to love so much. I get the same thing on my PS1 eboots. Black screen. Going back to that newer Pro CFW build now.

Last edited by Nazosan,

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I wasn't aware of any difference in POPS between models. For the POPLoader plugin, the difference is that the Go and newer versions of the 3000 can't load a POPS from a firmware from 3.71 to 6.00. The Go also doesn't have sound for 3.52 and below without headphones.

I just tried using one of those incompatible versions of pops, and while it gives a black screen, I can still press the home button to open the menu. I got black screens that could only be solved by a shutdown once before when I installed popsloader v1 (instead of v3 or above), but you said you still have the problem even with the plugin disabled, so the issue can't be popsloader related.

I don't really know about the specifics of the changes to PRO. I heard C2 had issues with PSN releases, so I didn't use it until I found a build that supposedly fixed that. I installed that, and the PS1 games from PSN worked, but games that required popsloader (all custom) didn't. I don't remember exactly since I'm going off this, but I think disabling popsloader fixed the error, but of course brought back the specific problems that warrant using popsloader with those few games in the first place. It also seemed to be different than what you described in that it actually spit an error at me. At the time, I switched to C fix3, on which everything worked.

I don't think this is an issue with the models either, as I currently have a 3001 09g on 6.60 too, but with the build I linked to earlier, and everything works for me there too. If they worked before and no longer work now, all I can think of is to try re-copying them to your memory stick in case something corrupted, sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process