Hardware PSP 2006 battery's not accurate

hyprskllz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Had this problem for about 2-3 years if i remember it right.
So my PSP's battery indicator is acting weirdly now. After full charging, i played my PSP for about 2 hours roughly, from 100%, to about 50ish%. So far so good.
About 3 hours later (the PSP's in sleep mode since i played), the battery goes up to 70ish%. This is the problem i'm talking about, and it always goes up depends on how much juice it has left, like from 30% to about 40%.
Can you guys help me? This is minor problem, but it's pretty annoying.
I uses PSP hud plugin if that matters.
Should i replace my battery? Honestly i don't know if it will work, but i will try the replacement if there's no other choice left.
Or is there some kind of homebrew that can recalibrate the battery, especially on the indicator?
Any suggestion is welcome.

Last edited by hyprskllz,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Had this problem for about 2-3 years if i remember it right.
So my PSP's battery indicator is acting weirdly now. After full charging, i played my PSP for about 2 hours roughly, from 100%, to about 50ish%. So far so good.
About 3 hours later (the PSP's in sleep mode since i played), the battery goes up to 70ish%. This is the problem i'm talking about, and it always goes up depends on how much juice it has left, like from 30% to about 40%.
Can you guys help me? This is minor problem, but it's pretty annoying.
I uses PSP hud plugin if that matters.
Should i replace my battery? Honestly i don't know if it will work, but i will try the replacement if there's no other choice left.
Or is there some kind of homebrew that can recalibrate the battery, especially on the indicator?
Any suggestion is welcome.
I think that's normal behaviour. There is some voltage sag under load, and the voltage is how the battery charge is measured. That means that under load it will measure a lower voltage, and after non-use or a period of very low battery use (like sleep mode) it will measure a somewhat higher voltage, which directly affects the battery percentage indicator.
Have you only experienced battery percentage going up after having the PSP turned off or in sleep mode? If so, that's probably the reason.

hyprskllz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I think that's normal behaviour. There is some voltage sag under load, and the voltage is how the battery charge is measured. That means that under load it will measure a lower voltage, and after non-use or a period of very low battery use (like sleep mode) it will measure a somewhat higher voltage, which directly affects the battery percentage indicator.
Have you only experienced battery percentage going up after having the PSP turned off or in sleep mode? If so, that's probably the reason.
I don't really understand about that voltage sag stuff you just said, but i get the gist of it.
And i presume it's not harmful in the long run right? I had this problem for a while, only the battery's slightly dropped.
Yes only when it is turned off or in sleep mode. It's fine when playing.
When charging! It also goes up pretty fast, 100% in only an hour, from from below 10%. But it will take more than 2 hours (from 100%) for the light to comes off.

Last edited by hyprskllz,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i wish some company was producing new, good quality psp batteries. not nasty cheap ones from china that lie about the capacity lol...

Reactions: migles

hyprskllz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i wish some company was producing new, good quality psp batteries. not nasty cheap ones from china that lie about the capacity lol...
Yeah, with Sony stopped the official battery production, we're kinda living on the edge of the system's life. And those cheap battery knockoffs doesn't help either. The batteries they made could die anyday.

Reactions: cearp

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

i had a psp 1000, i would clock it at 333mhz always, and i always played some intensive games like gta, daxter, racing games..
never had this issue or similar problem

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i had a psp 1000, i would clock it at 333mhz always, and i always played some intensive games like gta, daxter, racing games..
never had this issue or similar problem
It's not an issue specific to the PSP, it applies to more or less all battery technologies.
It's usually not this noticeable, but I have noticed it on various devices in more subtle ways. For example when using wifi on my DS with low battery the power LED would sometimes flicker between green and red, but go back to green once I turned off wifi, signifying that the power draw from the wifi antenna made the DS think the battery had less power than it really did. And usually after having a device with low battery turned off for a while, it seems like it regains some of the battery charge, as in a device can appear to run out of battery, but after having it turned off for a while it will power on and work again for a short while. It's a trick I often use with remote controls that are running out of battery, just so I can put off replacing the batteries for a little longer :P
There are technical reasons for why this happens, I believe it has something to do with the internal resistance of the battery. But long story short, battery charge measurement is not an exact science.
It's possible that it gets worse as a battery gets worn out and that's why it's so much more apparent in OP's case, I don't really know.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: migles

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
Try using the battery till it's all juice is gone then charge it fully . Maybe it will help !

hyprskllz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Try using the battery till it's all juice is gone then charge it fully . Maybe it will help !
Ah, i know that trick, but i already tried it sometime ago. Sometimes i forgot that i put it in sleep mode and i didn't play it for about a month. When i want to play it, it's already dried out so i charge it until full. But it still persists.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho