Gaming PSP-2003 Firmware 4.05

tajio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I'm new to the PSP scene and want to use my PSP for "Homebrews" and "Backups" But the thing is I've got a PSP 2003 'Slim & Lite' with official firmware version 4.05 on it. I bought it pre-owned and see that the PSP has custom themes on it (like 'Tasty Treat' & Resident Evil 4 Custom theme),don't know if that means it's hacked or not though.

But anyways I want to hack my PSP 2003 which has Ver 4.05 installed to run homebrews etc.

Is it possible? Do I need a pandora batter and Magic Memory Stick? If not can I like do that chickHEN thing?

Other Details:

Serial No. HB0369817
Firmware: 4.05
PSP 2003 PB

BTW: The PSP doesn't have any Memory Sticks so how's it running these custom themes?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
get 2 memorysticks, a 1GB and a larger one (1GB is best for hacking using HEN, but you need more space for homebrew, etc.)
you will need a memorystick to run homebrew and to install another firmware(doesn't matter if it's ofw or cfw, you need one either way)

after that, check this topic: http://gbatemp.net/t205696-how-to-softmod-your-psp-v2
the section "Checking the motherboard (200X ONLY)" should be the first thing to check because there you can see what hacking method is suitable for your PSP.
if the outcome is that you have a TA-088v3 motherboard you need the CFW guide at "How to softmod your (semi-hackable) 200X/300X"
otherwise you can use the "How to softmod your (fully hackable) 200X" guide

pandora's battery set is only useful if you know your motherboard is fully hackable.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The serial seems to indicate there are good odds on in being fully hackable,

tajio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can run the chickHEN exploit on this, Sweet! Will I need 2 Memory sticks? Will 1 suffice? I have ordered a Micro SD to Memory Stick Duo adapter for my 1x 2GB and 1x8GB microSD's so I guess I can use those.

But let me get this straight, Is chickHEN a temporary hack? If so when I reboot will it be gone or stay there.

Also if my MOBO is V2 that means it's fully hackable right and V3 means it's partially hackable?

Sorry about all the noobish questions.

Thanks for the amount of replies guys!

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
ChickHEN is temporary. if your Mobo (Motherboard) is fully exploitable you can check for that. If it is a TA-88 v2 or v3 Mobo it can only be ChickHEN'd with CFW Enabler (a temporary Custom FirmWare for ChickHEN users).

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try to Pandora the battery and install a full CFW until you know what Mobo you have. it WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE RECOVERED unless you have a TA-88 or earlier Mobo.

V2s CAN NOT be fully hacked.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, use this to check what PSP motherboard you have (after activating ChickHEN).

Also, note that ChickHEN is NOT perfect -- it may take a few tries to get it working.

Hope I was of some help. =)

You can PM me for ANY PSP related questions... I have been on the scene since the very first CFW work and have always followed updates, even after I lost, sold and traded my PSPs.

I will be glad to direct you to any files you need.

Be aware that you can only make OFFICIAL SONY MEMORY STICKS into Magic Memory Sticks (used with Pandora battery to install Custom Firmware). Your adaptor may SEEM to work... but it will not in the end and may cause problems. you can get a Sony 1 GB cheap. It is best to buy from a reliable source to avoid fakes.

Better pick up a Sony 1 GB for hacking stuff (like I used to).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Schlupi said:
Be aware that you can only make OFFICIAL SONY MEMORY STICKS into Magic Memory Sticks

Better not be expecting any PM's then, since you're already starting off on the wrong foot.

tajio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Also, use this to check what PSP motherboard you have (after activating ChickHEN).

Also, note that ChickHEN is NOT perfect -- it may take a few tries to get it working.

Hope I was of some help. =)

You can PM me for ANY PSP related questions... I have been on the scene since the very first CFW work and have always followed updates, even after I lost, sold and traded my PSPs.

I will be glad to direct you to any files you need.

Be aware that you can only make OFFICIAL SONY MEMORY STICKS into Magic Memory Sticks (used with Pandora battery to install Custom Firmware). Your adaptor may SEEM to work... but it will not in the end and may cause problems. you can get a Sony 1 GB cheap. It is best to buy from a reliable source to avoid fakes.

Better pick up a Sony 1 GB for hacking stuff (like I used to).

Wow thanks for the heads up Schlupi
yaypsp.gif
guess I'll buy one then, anyone have any links for a good cheap price? I'll take a look in the GbaTemp WTS forum.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
DO NOT ONLY CONSIDER A SONY STICK...

The best most multi purpose thing you can do is to get yourself a 4GB Sandisk stick. That way you have something that you'll have a use for after you're finished with the MMS.

Oh and @Rydian....sometimes non MG sticks work. Part of the issue with fakes is that many times there's no space for the IPL to be injected. People advise MG support just to be on the safe side when flashing.

Just saw this too

QUOTE said:
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT try to Pandora the battery and install a full CFW until you know what Mobo you have. it WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE RECOVERED unless you have a TA-88 or earlier Mobo.

WUT????

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
DO NOT ONLY CONSIDER A SONY STICK...

The best most multi purpose thing you can do is to get yourself a 4GB Sandisk stick. That way you have something that you'll have a use for after you're finished with the MMS.

Oh and @Rydian....sometimes non MG sticks work. Part of the issue with fakes is that many times there's no space for the IPL to be injected. People advise MG support just to be on the safe side when flashing.

Just saw this too

QUOTE said:

WUT????

I meant that If the PSP is TA-88 v2 or higher, it will cause a permanent brick.

and sorry, I was wrong about the Sony MMS thing. That was how it was in the old school... Got used to it so I always had it stuck stuck in my head... Sorry for that guys.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
a) That's never how it was in the old school.

b) A TA-088v2 is fine with a Pandora battery. A TA-088v3 is also fine with a Pandora battery, it just won't work. The only way you can **** up flash0 is manually.

It seems you either haven't actually been with the PSP "scene" since the beginning as you claimed, or you've forgotten EVERYTHING!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol