Hacking PSP 2000 sitting on 5.00 m33 - opinions please?

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there.

I've had a Vader PSP 2000 shelved away for awhile. Found out some games that I never knew were released outside of Japan, came to the US finally, (Bada$$ rumble :-P) so i'm happy to give my PSP another go.

I've tried to run the new games but get the standard error code which means the firmware is too low. (need 6.20-6.3x for them)

Anyway, i've been reading and I guess there is some plugin or file I can install that lets me keep m33 and it fakes the PSP into thinking it's on a 6.XX OFW. Is this correct? I've never installed any plugins/files before besides doing the pandora/magic stick back in the day to get CFW 5.0 m33 on this PSP. It's all new to me basically.

Instead of having to install one of the HEN non-permanent CFW's, can I just install this magic plugin and go from there? (or is there a better permanent CFW I can jump to? (I don't care about playing online/going online/internet and such. This is a single player ONLY PSP for me)

I'm also interested in the MS speed hack plugin. Will that work for me with the setup i'm trying to do?
Also, if this "fake PSP into thinking it's on 6.xx OFW" plugin exists, what's it called?

Thanks for helping a PSP newb get back into the game!

Reactions: Dangy

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and put on CFW Pro - C2. Worked like a breeze.

One question is, i've never put plugins on before, so I put on that CWCHEAT plugin, and it worked since I could get the menu to pop up in games. The strange this is, it has an option to adjust the CPU speed (I guess like how you press select at the main screen) but it showed the speed set to default, and I have the CPU speed set to 333 at the main dashboard.

Does the CWCHEAT just not read the speed properly, or are the games really not running at the forced CPU speed i've set them at? I don't want them underclocked by default.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and put on CFW Pro - C2. Worked like a breeze.

One question is, i've never put plugins on before, so I put on that CWCHEAT plugin, and it worked since I could get the menu to pop up in games. The strange this is, it has an option to adjust the CPU speed (I guess like how you press select at the main screen) but it showed the speed set to default, and I have the CPU speed set to 333 at the main dashboard.

Does the CWCHEAT just not read the speed properly, or are the games really not running at the forced CPU speed i've set them at? I don't want them underclocked by default.

Thanks for any thoughts.
I remember reading about this a while ago, IIRC the read value is faked to software for compatibility or anti-AP stuff, if you set the clock speed in the VSH menu, that's the real setting.

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. Thanks Rydian.

BTW, is there a master list of .cso compatible titles and what compression type works before audio/video stutter or other negatives occur?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. Thanks Rydian.

BTW, is there a master list of .cso compatible titles and what compression type works before audio/video stutter or other negatives occur?
It depends on the game, the settings you use when you compress to CSO, whether you're on a hack with read speedup enabled, and the stats of your memory stick, so nobody's even attempted a master list because there's just too much crap going on.

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Pro C2 has the speed hack thingy already applied by default within the firmware. If that's not the case, what's the actual name of it, and can I apply it to Pro-C2, and are there any cons to using it?

I have a bootleg Sony MSPDuo High Speed (Black card with that red stripe. From ebay and found out later it was counterfeit, but the seller let me keep it and refunded me once I stated I was going to open a case for selling me bootleg goods) :-P, and GOW: Ghost of Sparta cut scenes are basically unwatchable due to the read speed. (even on a clean .ISO)

I'd love a way to speed it up if possible as long as it doesn't damage the PSP. Extra battery drain isn't a problem since I just play it at home anyway.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PRO-C2 has it, it's just not on by default, also PRO hasn't existed forever which is why it's not assumed that somebody even has access to the speedup... press Select on the home screen, select the VSH menu, and you get to the hacks/tweaks menu. Memory stick speedup is one of the options in there.

However the memory stick speedup option is generally used to obtain speeds faster than some software limit set in the PSP. If your stick is causing bottleneck issues like that below what the PSP's artificial limit it, removing the artificial limit won't do shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: