hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
hi all,

just bought a 2nd hand PSP 2000. Physical appearance is good however it does not boot to XMB.

Symptoms:
- boot stops at "waves"
- cannot be switched off normally (hold off few seconds) but only hard off (hold off 20 or so seconds)
- can boot to recovery menu
- I toggle (switch on USB mode) and connect to PC, but no files (without mem stick inserted)...

How can I recover? And how, what menu item(s) to execute?
Do I have to know the CFW version? Do I have to have a Memory stick with a piece of software in the PSP? ...?

I got this 2nd hand, so I do not have more info than what I described or what the photos show...
I do have another PSP 1000 working, so I can format/ prepare a mem stick...

I think the PSP is not trash... and can be revived...right?
Any help highly appreciated!

IMG_20161214_110716_HDR.jpg IMG_20161214_110842_HDR.jpg

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my psp for a long time now and have seen this before. Usually, it's trying to load the memory stick when the waves "hang". The first thing we need to do is identify the psp. Download this and the directory should be f:/psp/game/recovery/eboot.pbp. You'll need the rename the directories from the download to match this. Then go to recovery mode and run that "run program" option. Post a screenshot of that and we will continue. :)

hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
ok, I downloaded "PSPIDENT_075_21-10-2011.zip".

For he semi-bricked PSP 2000 in question I DO NOT have a memory stick (it did not come with a mem stick), but I do have another memory stick used with another PSP 1000. I used this PSP 1000 memory stick and copied all files into the RECOVERY folder (I left all other files on the mem stick), disconnected USB and started the "run...EBOOT.PBP".
Result: No output, it only hangs in recovery menu and I have to hard switch off. -> see screen shots as well.

2016-12-14 14_12_28-F__PSP folder.jpg 2016-12-14 14_12_55-F__PSP_GAME folder.jpg 2016-12-14 14_13_13-F__PSP_GAME_RECOVERY folder.jpg IMG_20161214_141129_HDR.jpg

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I had you load the eboot from the recovery menu because it seems you can not access the xmb. Somehow, we need to reinstall the cfw. This is the guide you can follow. I wonder if you can place the official firmware 6.60 eboot in the recovery folder and run that. However, that psp should've been able to run pspident. That model psp had many revisions of the motherboard and not all could be permahacked. Few had to have the "fast recovery" option. This is why id like to know which motherboard you have. Also, the "gen recovery menu" on older firmware and is outdated.

hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Ok. I had you load the eboot from the recovery menu because it seems you can not access the xmb. Somehow, we need to reinstall the cfw. This is the guide you can follow. I wonder if you can place the official firmware 6.60 eboot in the recovery folder and run that. However, that psp should've been able to run pspident. That model psp had many revisions of the motherboard and not all could be permahacked. Few had to have the "fast recovery" option. This is why id like to know which motherboard you have. Also, the "gen recovery menu" on older firmware and is outdated.

you are correct, I cannot boot into XMB... How can I follow This guide if I cannot access XMB?

I found this guide, do you think it could work?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's where I was going. Instead of using the 3.52 firmware, you should use the 6.60 firmware. The thing I'm worried about, is that you couldn't run pspident with this same method. I'm sure your flash0/1 is messed up and it needs to be overwritten. I hope this works.
Also, you won't need the 1.50 firmware either. Just use the 6.60 firmware as is. The guide I linked you to will take care of the rest.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Yes, that's where I was going. Instead of using the 3.52 firmware, you should use the 6.60 firmware. The thing I'm worried about, is that you couldn't run pspident with this same method. I'm sure your flash0/1 is messed up and it needs to be overwritten. I hope this works.
Also, you won't need the 1.50 firmware either. Just use the 6.60 firmware as is. The guide I linked you to will take care of the rest.
But the question how to update/ run the 6.60 OFW? My PSP does not boot to XMB...

m4rc0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's hardware fault, you can't fix with software.
I've fixed some of these, they have cpu BGA soldering problems due to a shock or fall of the psp...

hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
It's hardware fault, you can't fix with software.
I've fixed some of these, they have cpu BGA soldering problems due to a shock or fall of the psp...
I see, any way to confirm that it's really HW fault? As booting to "waves" could also be SW issue, from what I understand others report.

hama364

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Interesting turn of events! After some tries I got response from the seller of the PSP: she told me the PSP is booting only if the UMD drive is opened during it is switched on. And that is the case, the PSP boots. I think it means the UMD drive is broken and as it cannot be accessed the PSP is not booting into XMB?
IMG_20161215_174834_HDR.jpg
The PSP has 5.50 GEN-D3 installed. From what I can gather that is an old (5-6 years) CFW.
IMG_20161215_174916_HDR2.jpg
I formatted a memory stick with the PSP, put PSPIDENT on it and try to start it from the XMB to get more info about MOBO etc.
IMG_20161216_203023_HDR.jpg
It does not start and PSP hangs after the PSP logo.
IMG_20161216_203038_HDR.jpg

What does that mean now...?

I like to eventually have a new CFW on it e.g. this one. How to get to it....?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great that it'll boot now. i used this tutorial.
I think I linked you an old version of pspident that needs 1.50 access (PSP/GAME150, not PSP/GAME), but daveey cfw will install on many psp's and yours will be compatible.
About the umd drive, I wonder if autoboot umd is enabled (if that'll even help). It's in the psp settings.

m4rc0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i've already told you that's a bga solder problems, why people in the psp scene wan't fix all with sw? They want even fix broken screen with "fantomatic" FW update LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/