[PSP] 2.71 Special Edition (SE) Custom Firmware

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by FAST6191, Oct 10, 2006.

Oct 10, 2006
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am not normally one for PSP news but this was pretty interesting.

You will need a 1.50 PSP to begin with but basically it is 2.71 firmware with all the homebrew (that probably should have been in speech marks) goodness that comes with the ability to run 1.50.
    This is a custom firmware that lets to have in a single flash the advantages of firmware 1.50 and
    2.71 at the same time.

Original thread that I saw (French language):
    http://www.playeradvance.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4535
    Download for the firmware:
    http://dax.lan.st/271SE_A.RAR

Installation is taken care of via the included readme files.

2. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    there's already an easy installer and everything else regarding this. If anyone wants to read about it head over to maxconsole or qj.net. Good stuff from DA.

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    How safe is this? And can you downgrade back to normal 1.50 if you want to?
    Is it intended for the Undiluted Platinum?

It sounds very nice and could avoid a lot of problems, but not too sure I trust it.

Anyone tried it yet?

4. Kyro

Member Kyro GBAtemp Regular

France
    hi,

yes Dark_Alex can be trusted, he s done so much for the psp scene (and recently all his release has been deeply tested on a psp with the undiluted platinum before releasing to everyone, so yes it really is safe)

and yes there is a recovery menu that lets you do a lots of things (such as reflashing any update you want like 1.5...)

here is the official thread where he posted his custom firmware :
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=32182

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    It was created by Dark_Alex, a very respected guy in the PSP scene. It sounds good but not much use for me, I'd rather just run devhook on my 1.5 psp than flash my firmware...

6. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    many people have it up and running from other forums, you can always downgrade back to 1.5 whenever you want. I don't see a point personally being a 1.5 user since the beginning since I'm satisfied with the custom firmware/devhook combos available. Just follow instructions and you should be fine.

7. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    remove the 2.71 edited firmware its in violation of the copyrights.. its like posting links of roms.

8. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    So.... the link to flashme on the portal is also a violation of copyrights?

9. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    what happen to psp mod chip?

10. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @lookout The mod chip came around and is used fairly extensively.

As for "copyright" it is a patch as far as I am aware (that is to say I need to find myself a copy of the firmwares/updaters for it work) which places it in legal territory.

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I managed to get it all working when it was released. To go back to 1.50 you just put the 1.5 firmware in the update folder. When you power on you just keep you finger on the right trigger and can choose to downgrade, its also handy if you pick up a virus as it can recover the psp from being bricked. I've done 2 psps with no problems. The good thing about this is it disables the upgrader so no little brothers or sisters can upgrade it with messing about. I couldn't get the devhook for 2.71 working properly, it wouldn't load a game. I just use the 1.5 devhook instead and it works perfectly.

12. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Nothing happened, it came out when it did and many still embrace it. It's still got some advantages in terms of recovering bricks but the Epsilon bios available isn't up to snuff when compared to devhook. Now that all this can be done in 2.71, no real reason to stay on 1.5....though personally I'm satisfied with runnin 1.5 on both my psps because everything works fine....and probably will never update unless devhook officially ports over to 2.71 only (I don't see this happening, booster will probably just continue to cake on the existing devhook for 1.5).