PSP 2 – the big E3 surprise?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by supervenice, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2010
  1. supervenice
    OP

Member supervenice GBAtemp Regular

United States
    source:http://kotaku.com/5537778/rumor-psp2-making-e3-appearance

"According to several sources speaking with trade site MCV, Sony's biggest E3 surprise may be the long-awaited - and badly-needed, at least outside of Japan - successor to the PlayStation Portable.

The sources don't hail from inside Sony, or relate specifically to the rumoured device's design; instead, they come from various publishers, some of whom are unable to comment on PSP matters until "a specific announcement from the platform holder", while others have initiated "a significant increase in marketing spend" aimed at the end of this year, something highly unusual for the current PSP.

It's not the first time we've heard rumours of a true second PSP - it's probably the 1,637th - and as E3 draws nearer, it probably won't be the last, either."

2. Toader

Member Toader GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I hope it doesn't die like the current psp.

3. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Honestly, the PSP as it stands is a fine console, and while sales are, have been, and probably will be until the successor, not that great, I think it stands fine on its own, and the hardware is still at (or maybe above) the level of the 3DS...without the 3D.

Making something even more powerful would not be cost effective in two ways. One: they lose money on manufacturing. Two: They would lose even more PS3 sales, seeing as, well, it would need to be somewhere in the ballpark of that power to justify a second PSP.

Honestly, there are only two reasons that I don't have a PSP. One: I hate Sony's D-Pad. Seriously. Two: I really don't like how the main button is the X button. I'm so used to Super Nintendo style ABXY buttons, that I feel like I'm pressing the 'back' button whenever I continue anything...

4. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    It's great how people can talk out of their asses, while knowing nothing. The 3DS specs haven't been released (so how can you know?), but rumours indicate it could be around as powerful as a Gamecube (ignoring the 3-D). The PSP doesn't come close to that. And the rumours so far have indicated the PSP2 will be between the original XBox and the 360 in terms of power.

The DS and PSP came out years ago... it isn't hard to imagine that it's now considerably cheaper to produce something that's dramatically more powerful than either. The difference is that Sony is probably going to make the same mistake with the PSP2 that they did with the PS3... it'll be too powerful for its own good, and lead to a prohibitvely high price. With Gamecube-level power, the 3DS will be cheaper and (in all honestly) that level of power sounds about right for a handheld these days. Much more than that would be extreme.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    is it gonna rip off the 3ds?

6. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I agree with what you've said about both consoles. All in all, I think homebrew is a big let's say, 'platform' or incentive for people on GBAtemp though, whichever has higher quality, higher compatibility, or even easier to develop homebrew will garner the most attention. Considering online play, though, Sony definitely performs better than Nintendo. I wouldn't touch Nintendo's online play with a ten foot pole, but that's just me. In the end it really does come down to the price though. My guess is that the 3DS will retail for around $180 whereas a PSP2 would indeed be around $250.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if the PSP undergoes another CFW update around this time as developers will be more divided with newer, more ambitious projects, ie) game creation for both devices. Just throwing this out there, for some people, who think that PSP homebrew is dead. On that note, picking up an earlier version of an expensive console does have the benefit on being on a lower, more easily exploitable firmware, though the same can be said about both consoles really.

E3 is in about a month now, and this being the first year that I've actually cared enough to pay attention, I think it'll be interesting to see how all the various online communities receive and adapt to the new systems. Regardless of the 'power' both systems have; as gamers and people we should know it's not eye-candy that makes you want to play a game; it's whether a games fun or not. So at the heart of the matter of prospective audience's adaption of a device will be the initial games and their gameplay, and whether they're fun or not. All in all, people need to keep an open mind to things and consider various options. I think, for example, that it's probable that the Nintendo device will garner lots of public attention whereas the PSP2 (like the PSP1) may perform as more of a homebrew sleeper hit.

7. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    The current PSP sells so well for 2 reasons.

1. Piracy
    2. Emulation and Homebrew

8. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

will it have 3D? [​IMG] doubtlessly!

9. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I cant imagine it looking to well at E3..maybe later it'll impress. I have a feeling the impending 3DS announcement if forcing Sony's hand.

10. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
  11. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    This just in; nobody cares! [​IMG]

Yay Sony... They must be professional counters and like to rub it in.

12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Of course not!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    oh but i thought that's what sony did these days!!! [​IMG]

14. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    When the day comes and the psp2 is revealed no one but the die hard sony faithful will care.

The future is all about Apple vs Nintendo. PSP fans are like Sega fans right before the fall of the company. (Many of them hardcore gamers determined to go down with the ship.) The portable market has changed and Sony is a non-factor.

15. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I disagree with this argument. Quoting Prowler, I'd like to mention something along the lines of, "Specs or GTFO" Until we know what Nintendo's got under the hood there's no real way to tell what will happen. I'm still going to standby the "PSP2", which I agree, should be given a different name... because of how much a sleeper hit the PSP is. I actually traded in my DSi towards a PSP because it was such a disappointment as far as firmware-looks, features(just DS mode...), false rumors of backwards compatibility with gba games... and homebrew went.

I don't know how valid this argument is, but, Gamecube vs XBoX

16. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.