Hardware PSP 1004 green led blinks once and nothing else

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello!
I have got an old PSP 1004 and I can't turn it on. It hasn't memory stick inserted.
With battery, orange led is turned on, but I suppose that battery is totally dead, because it never starts.
Without battery, green led blinks once and then, nothing happens. In this video somebody recorded the same problem years ago, but never got the solution in the comments.
Anybody can help me?

Thanks for your time!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not a very specific nor complete assumption, but I'd say there is some shorted component on the motherboard.

The PSP tries to run its startup procedure but when the shortcut is reached, it turns off itself to avoid further damage.

I have a PSP 2001 model with a TA-085 motherboard, but the symptom is diferent, it doesn't turn on, but it recharges the battery without issues. I'm still looking for the damaged component as there are some traces shorted to ground.

Reactions: Alexander1970

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks @CMDreamer
I have extracted mainboard and little board (that contains power switch). Using a voltimeter, it shows that AC adaptor is suplying 4,5V instead of 5V... could be this a problem? I have discovered that sometimes, green light is on up to a second.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks @CMDreamer
I have extracted mainboard and little board (that contains power switch). Using a voltimeter, it shows that AC adaptor is suplying 4,5V instead of 5V... could be this a problem? I have discovered that sometimes, green light is on up to a second.

Can't remember what's the lowest voltage the PSP can work with, but 4.5V, instead of 5V might be a valid reason for not turning on, the voltage is very important, some devices can work with lower voltages at some extent, but they should not be used with a higher voltage than the one the're designed for. Do you have another AC adaptor to try?

Don't have my multimeter at hand to test on my working PSP, but will do it when I can and report back.

Edit.
Just got my multimeter and checked the adapter, it shows 4.3V-4.4V when charging the battery, if checked without a load (not charging the battery) it shows 0V (zero volts), I think it has protection against a short (as it should actually).

You should follow the traces to the first component and measure there, and follow along, until you get something that shouldn't be there (electronically speaking).

Last edited by CMDreamer,

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm going to get an original AC adaptor to check. Current adaptor is a chinese model that contains a typo in the sticker (AC ADAOTOR) and it doesn't give me too much confidence :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1