SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xist said:
It's funny...of all the hacks, whilst one of the most accomplished, it's also the least essential. It allows impatient people to install a permanent version of a CFW when before they had temporary. It doesn't unlock the PSP any more at the moment (though this may follow) and as soon as 6.20CFW's fall behind it'll become mostly redundant.

Great work but massive fanfare for little real change to the majority of users.
I wouldn't actually be too surprised if 6.20 CFWs didn't fall behind. No official features have been added in subsequent OFWs. Therefore there is no real reason for CFW developers to abandon 6.20 as a base for their CFW. Especially now all PSPs can be downgraded to 6.20 and have a permenant hack.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Nor me...at this point any spur for new security implementations is minimal, although who knows what will happen when the Vita gets a release.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
If it's lower than the default then it may not be a clean 6.20, it may just have later modules inserted.
Does it really matter what modules it has as long as it's hackable?
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
gamerboy1995 said:
Rydian said:
If it's lower than the default then it may not be a clean 6.20, it may just have later modules inserted.
tongue.gif
I didn't say that was bad, was just guessing on how it'd be possible.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Rydian said:
gamerboy1995 said:
Rydian said:
tongue.gif

So I'm still interested in this information. Would this be a clean install? or would it have custom modules?
In the link below (or the one in the OP) davee explains that the only effective change between 4g and 9g is:
•Idstorage Certificates
•Baryon Version
http://www.qj.net/psp/news/psp-homebrew-ch...ngrader-v5.html

*waits for Rydian or Xist*

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
madridi4ever said:
Rydian said:
gamerboy1995 said:
Rydian said:
tongue.gif

So I'm still interested in this information. Would this be a clean install? or would it have custom modules?
In the link below (or the one in the OP) davee explains that the only effective change between 4g and 9g is:
•Idstorage Certificates
•Baryon Version

Basic explanation:

6.20 detects a 09g PSP as a 04g. Therefore, it attempts to load the 04g modules. However, when a firmware is being installed, only the correct modules for a particular PSP are installed (i.e. 04g modules won't be installed on a 09g PSP). [Also, 6.20 doesn't have 09g modules to install].

But 09g and 04g are pretty much identical in hardware, so their modules are cross-compatible. What the downgrader does is run the 6.20 installer and trick it into thinking it is running on a 04g (in actual fact, the updater detects it as a 04g anyway. However, a file on the PSP named index_04g.dat is missing, because index_09g.dat is present instead - this is one of the things the downgrader has to address). Therefore, it installs the 04g modules. And seeing as 6.20 will detect a 09g PSP as a 04g, it will load the installed 04g modules. And so 6.20 boots successfully on a 09g.

In other words, 6.20 is installed with the 04g modules. There are no custom modules involved, just a bit of trickery to (i) make the update run from a higher FW and (ii) install 04g modules correctly

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
SifJar said:
madridi4ever said:
Rydian said:
gamerboy1995 said:
Rydian said:
tongue.gif

•Idstorage Certificates
•Baryon Version

Basic explanation:

6.20 detects a 09g PSP as a 04g. Therefore, it attempts to load the 04g modules. However, when a firmware is being installed, only the correct modules for a particular PSP are installed (i.e. 04g modules won't be installed on a 09g PSP). [Also, 6.20 doesn't have 09g modules to install].

But 09g and 04g are pretty much identical in hardware, so their modules are cross-compatible. What the downgrader does is run the 6.20 installer and trick it into thinking it is running on a 04g (in actual fact, the updater detects it as a 04g anyway. However, a file on the PSP named index_04g.dat is missing, because index_09g.dat is present instead - this is one of the things the downgrader has to address). Therefore, it installs the 04g modules. And seeing as 6.20 will detect a 09g PSP as a 04g, it will load the installed 04g modules. And so 6.20 boots successfully on a 09g.

In other words, 6.20 is installed with the 04g modules. There are no custom modules involved, just a bit of trickery to (i) make the update run from a higher FW and (ii) install 04g modules correctly

Makes perfect sense sifjar. Thanks!

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't see the point to this, but I also have different needs and interests in the PSP scene. I've come to appreciate the temporary cfw because it makes it easier to use a PSP with a legit PS3, and still get the benefits of hacking. I did this with my old God of War edition PSP (the all red one). Since gotten rid of that, but now I'm saving for a Go, because the Go fits my interests even better too. I don't feel the need for a UMD drive since I play all mine through ISO, the Go has twice as much internal memory as the largest memory stick I own, and it'll sync to a DualShock, which I can't wait to try.

I'm sure this is great for those that can use it, but I'm not among them.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Marcus you're not alone....see post #19
tongue.gif

Yup, read that. Had to put my two cents in too, ya know.
happy.gif
Just trying to be active here again.

What the PSP scene needs, instead of this, is improved methods on what it already has. I'm still waiting for a fullscreen plugin that can contend with FuSa (which shouldn't be difficult if done right), and several speed improvements to various emulators. (Any SNES emu that can't play Donkey Kong Country 3 at full speed needs to be worked on!)

Either that, or those focusing on this need to turn their attention to the PS3 and finally crack NPDRM. I've got legit DLC that I can't use anymore. >.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
I read that some people got stuck at 6.20 after doing this . They could not update from there .
Also , are any bricks reported ?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
flo said:
I read that some people got stuck at 6.20 after doing this . They could not update from there .
According to Davee's original blog post, updating should work fine. It doesn't have 04g ID Storage certificates, so it will I think return to a 09g if you update it.

I have not heard of any bricks (other than the one Davee made while creating the tool), but with this sort of thing its always a risk. If the battery doesn't die partially through the process, you should be safe though.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those wondering why someone could find this useful... Well, Sony changed something in the 6.3x+ firmwares that made the method of the 6.20 Perm patch impossible. Now that you can downgrade to 6.20 with Davee's Downgrader. Perm Patch is made possible again.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
SifJar said:
flo said:
According to Davee's original blog post, updating should work fine. It doesn't have 04g ID Storage certificates, so it will I think return to a 09g if you update it.

I have not heard of any bricks (other than the one Davee made while creating the tool), but with this sort of thing its always a risk. If the battery doesn't die partially through the process, you should be safe though.
He was primarily concerned with avoiding bricks while in the beta testing phase (I was a tester), so he didn't have people check if update ability was still possible.

Davee was theorizing in that blog post that updating would work on 09g 6.20 -- but he was mistaken. I tested on my PSP to see for sure and I get the same IDXFFFFFFFF error as everybody else.

I'm sure Davee will find a bix for the bug soon enough so I'm not really concerned. Besides, having a perm hacked PSP isn't a bad position to be in by any stretch of the imagination.
biggrin.gif

btw--Another good way to look at the situation is this really is a permanent hack. Nobody can get rid of it even if they wanted (good luck accidentally getting rid of my cfw, little brother)! .
rofl.gif

Truly permanent indeed!

c_house

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this means that we could install a CFW on the 3000 and Go? I thought it was hardware that was blocking the hacking of those consoles.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
c_house said:
So this means that we could install a CFW on the 3000 and Go? I thought it was hardware that was blocking the hacking of those consoles.

CFW has been possible on the 3000 and GO for a while now

MarcusRaven said:
QUOTE(xist @ Sep 12 2011, 01:10 PM) Marcus you're not alone....see post #19
tongue.gif

Yup, read that. Had to put my two cents in too, ya know.
happy.gif
Just trying to be active here again.

What the PSP scene needs, instead of this, is improved methods on what it already has. I'm still waiting for a fullscreen plugin that can contend with FuSa (which shouldn't be difficult if done right), and several speed improvements to various emulators. (Any SNES emu that can't play Donkey Kong Country 3 at full speed needs to be worked on!)

Either that, or those focusing on this need to turn their attention to the PS3 and finally crack NPDRM. I've got legit DLC that I can't use anymore. >.<

I don't quite agree with this.
All this do is give 09g owners options they didn't have before.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not useful for others.

If you don't like it just don't use it

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MrCooper said:
I want a GO but I wish there was something like this for it. It might be small but you get 16GB of space, a better battery life and you don't have that unnecessary UMD drive.

There is a downgrader for the Go, if memory serves me correct the Go is 05g. Even than using temporary CFW isn't a problem at all.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
MrCooper said:
I want a GO but I wish there was something like this for it. It might be small but you get 16GB of space, a better battery life and you don't have that unnecessary UMD drive.
There is. Just buy a new one and upgrade from stock 5.70 to 6.20 and install perm pro. You can also downgrade to 6.20 if you buy an updated used GO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0