Status
Not open for further replies.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this has been posted yet, so here it is... According to this article, when Sony releases it's PlayStation Suite it will work on other Android devices, not just on the PlayStation phone... So is Sony really supporting another OS? (Android) That just doesn't sound like them...

QUOTE said:
While the NGP game console hogged the spotlight at Sony's press conference in Tokyo on Thursday, the company made another announcement that could prove just as significant.

I'm talking about Playstation Suite, a software framework that will let Android phones run Playstation games. Sony skimped on details, but said Playstation Suite will start with PSOne games when it launches for Android 2.3 phones later this year -- that's "phones" plural, not just the rumored Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, a.k.a. the Playstation Phone.

For as long as I've been playing video games, no console maker has handed over its ecosystem to other devices in this way. Sony is essentially admitting that it can no longer ignore smartphones, and that selling video games is at least as important as controlling the hardware or the operating system. This is a huge concession.

In fairness, Sony is trying to differentiate the NGP from smartphones. It runs on a quad-core processor and can reportedly handle Playstation 3 games. It has a 5-inch screen and probably won't fit in pants pockets. The NGP's dual analog sticks alone are a feature that smartphones may never enjoy because of space constraints.

But Sony's attempt to outdo smartphones with the NGP could be futile. The rise of smartphone gaming suggests that most people don't want 20-hour experiences on their portable devices. They want snacks - fancy ones, even. Not surprisingly, some major publishers now reserve their biggest franchises for the iPhone instead of the PSP or Nintendo DS.

The big three console makers are attacking this problem from different angles. Nintendo hopes that its golden franchises -- Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. -- will buoy whatever hardware it creates. Microsoft passed on dedicated portable game players and instead built Xbox Live into Windows Phone 7. Sony is targeting Android, regardless of who sells the hardware.

Of course, Sony Ericsson can promote its own phones as the best way to enjoy Playstation games, but Sony's "hardware neutral" approach to Playstation Suite allows the platform to grow independently. And just in case NGP is a flop, Sony still has eggs in a bigger basket.

source

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well even if they only wanted it on their phone...it would get hacked onto others....the android phone hacking community is not to be underestimated
even though just about every development comes from xda...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...