Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playstationnetworklogoimage.jpg

Similar to EA's Online Pass and following the trend of many other publishers, Sony has announced a new Playstation Network Pass program, starting with Resistance 3.

Like EA's Online Pass, players who buy a new copy of certain Sony titles will have a single use code to allow them access to online services. However, if you don't have the code (like if you bought the game used), you'll have to pay money for a new pass.

The system is obviously for combating used game sales, which we've seen through many methods (such as a recent crop of undeletable 3DS save games and of course other companies, like EA, using using either online passes (such as in their sports games) or access to premium content (such as BioWare games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2)).

Do not fret though, as this is not a forced norm. Sony said in their statement that "This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title."

Fortunately, you will probably only be seeing this on future Sony titles (I'm guessing Uncharted 3, for instance) and old ones won't be affected.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't affect me at all really. I buy a lot of used PS3 games, but I couldn't care less about online play. I'm only interested in playing single player modes or co-op games with someone who is sitting next to me. Not really interested in playing the same multiplayer matches online over and over.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually bought plenty of used items with everything still in them. I once bought a limited edition copy of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, and the exclusive cards and everything were still in there. I actually prefer to buy New games from craigslist or amazon, though. My Dad just ordered a new copy of black ops for 25$ + 7$ S&H.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Is it just me, or a part of Sony's plan to earn money out of gamers who buy used games (in the future)?

Well, I often buy my games new. So no biggie. But did Sony mention that this will also come to Vita? Just asking.
unsure.gif

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, at least SSF4 AE is already out and can't implement this crap. Can't say I played Uncharted online much so this doesn't really affect me.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
syko5150 said:
This doesn't affect me at all really. I buy a lot of used PS3 games, but I couldn't care less about online play. I'm only interested in playing single player modes or co-op games with someone who is sitting next to me. Not really interested in playing the same multiplayer matches online over and over.
I'm pretty much the same way.
Slyakin said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Jul 6 2011, 07:38 PM) Sony and Nintendo UNITE!
Wait, what does that mean?

Nintendo isn't trying to stop used game sales at all, are they?
Well, some of the devs are.

That post was made in response to recent news.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
At least you are not forced to play offline only since you can buy a new pass.
I guess... Be like $10,00 a pass.

This is another reason I'm not buying ps3.... jk
laugh.gif

Seriously tho, leave all this unnecessary junk out of gaming.
idk all the stuff look like a form of greed.

QUOTEusing using either online passes (such as in their sports games)

Why is there two using?

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
You know, Sony has been doing this for a while now. They did this with SOCOM FTB3 and ModNation Racers PSP so it's not all that surprising, just not many people knew I guess.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Modnation Racers PSP doesn't require an online pass. Of course, I downloaded it off of PSN, so maybe it was a little different.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Nathan Drake said:
Modnation Racers PSP doesn't require an online pass. Of course, I downloaded it off of PSN, so maybe it was a little different.
It does. But when you purchase it through PSN your account gets verified automatically, users who buy it used have to buy a pass though.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Complaint?

Dont buy Sony. That's simple. That's their jobs thanks to hackers. that's why. Blaming at hackers for doing that to Sony, jeez.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse