PSA - WiiU USB drives tied to the HDD AND the controller

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by apachehavok, Nov 1, 2016.

1. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Just to let you guys know, it appears the WiiU USB system lock is tied to not only the HDD, but the usb controller as well.

Example:

I had one of those quick connect USB power to 2.5" sata adapters while I waited for my proper 2.5" enclosure to show up. Did the full USB to USB drive copy from data management from a smaller drive.

When the enclosure came, I popped the USB drive into it and the WiiU DID NOT RECOGNIZE it. Put it back into the quick adapter and it found it just fine.

On the flip side, I threw the original HDD I was copying FROM, into the quick adapter, same thing. Popped it back into the original adapter I copied it from and it detected again just fine.

So just FYI, if you format and install a USB HDD for use in the WiiU, do NOT put the drive into another enclosure. It WILL NOT detect. :)

peteruk, LinkFan16 and proflayton123 like this.
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Thanks for the heads up to me and others~

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    How does the HDD when plugged into your computer via the adapters? Does it actually appear as the HDD it's suppose to be or is it a different name?

I'm wondering if it's either something to do with the adapter handling the HDD or the Wii U actually tying the USB adapter.

I know in the past I've had USB-HDD adapters which did 'hide' the actual HDD because of how the adapter worked so that could explain why it doesn't work.

4. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Both will show up identically in windows. I do know there are some linux and windows based drive encryption schemes that read both the HDD and the usb controller to prevent taking the HDD to another machine without the enclosure so its really not out of the question that Nintendo might have something similar.

5. LinkFan16

LinkFan16 I link them all

Mar 15, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Wow, good thing I decided to wait until the new enclosure for my external HDD arrived before moving all my Wii U stuff. Thanks for sharing this info.

apachehavok likes this.
  6. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Glad I could help. Lost an entire overnight copying to this haha