Homebrew PSA: we don't know anything about homebrew or piracy on Switch

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if the Switch could handle a PS2 emulator, it won't be something more than the PS1 emulator for the New 3DS, most likely an emulator that doesn't go too far or is just for experimental purposes, it would take real effort and time if someone decides to actually develop and update an emulator of this kind for the switch, but the prospect of playing PS2 like this sounds good

Reactions: dubbz82

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really starting to derail from the original topic, but with the CPU that the Switch has, it'd more likely resemble a slideshow (also last I checked, there's no ps2 cores in retroarch, meaning something like pcsx2 would have to be ported from the ground up - this could potentially take months if not years).

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it can handle a GC emulator (look at the other thread, it looks plausible...) then a PS2 emulator should be child's play.

Sure months, if not years of work to port over system specific gpu calls, code that doesn't work properly on other platforms, etc is certainly child's play. I'm also not very confident for Gamecube either, as it has the same problem as discussed above. The only way we'll see gamecube running on this (in anything outside of maybe a proof of concept) is if Nintendo themselves does this as VC.

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure months, if not years of work to port over system specific gpu calls, code that doesn't work properly on other platforms, etc is certainly child's play. I'm also not very confident for Gamecube either, as it has the same problem as discussed above. The only way we'll see gamecube running on this (in anything outside of maybe a proof of concept) is if Nintendo themselves does this as VC.

And even then, we don't know how accurate said VC could be, kinda like what happened with Wii's Nintendo 64 VC Injects, sure you could run some games in it, but if you inject Rare stuff or, most games not being Nintendo property actually, the VC inject is going to present drop-frames, audio glitches, stuttering issues, etc.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the Xbox one can emulate the Xbox 360 and the switch is like less powerful then it but not by as much as the Wii U.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the Xbox 360 can emulate the original Xbox which is more powerful than Gamecube and ps2.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
the Xbox one can emulate the Xbox 360 and the switch is like less powerful then it but not by as much as the Wii U.

the Xbox 360 can emulate the original Xbox which is more powerful than Gamecube and ps2.
*Supports*

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

It's more than just emulation, though. The 360 can't run PS2 games, no matter how bad you want them. The 360 running original Xbox games is not surprising.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since it is mostly 3DS Firmware we can expect something I Guess. They always say it is a copy of 3DS System with update.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the Switch could handle a PS2 emulator, it won't be something more than the PS1 emulator for the New 3DS, most likely an emulator that doesn't go too far or is just for experimental purposes, it would take real effort and time if someone decides to actually develop and update an emulator of this kind for the switch, but the prospect of playing PS2 like this sounds good

The Wii U doesn't even have proper PPC dynarec, much less a full speed PSX emulator; the Switch is that much more unlikely to ever see one, though there is PCSX_ReARMed. But even then, I envision no interest.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it is mostly 3DS Firmware we can expect something I Guess. They always say it is a copy of 3DS System with update.
No, it isn't. For one thing, 3DS runs some custom (or licensed?) microkernel OS; Switch uses the FreeBSD kernel. (Coincidentally, PS4 also uses the FreeBSD kernel.)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it isn't. For one thing, 3DS runs some custom (or licensed?) microkernel OS; Switch uses the FreeBSD kernel. (Coincidentally, PS4 also uses the FreeBSD kernel.)

The only similarity between the two is that they both use the ARM architecture, but the Switch uses an Android-based OS, I think.

Shine Lamont

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only similarity between the two is that they both use the ARM architecture, but the Switch uses an Android-based OS, I think.

Do you think it's possible that some team can make a flashcart like the Gateway but for the Switch and be able to load games on a microSD card to put in the Switch?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it's possible that some team can make a flashcart like the Gateway but for the Switch and be able to load games on a microSD card to put in the Switch?

It's too early to tell, people are managing to hijack the DNS and use it to make the web browser do things it was never meant to do (as it was only used to connect to a hotspot), as far as exploits, not for a very long time.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not Android. It's a FreeBSD kernel with a custom userspace and GUI. (The FreeBSD kernel copyright notice is visible in System Settings under licensing or something like that.)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not Android. It's a FreeBSD kernel with a custom userspace and GUI. (The FreeBSD kernel copyright notice is visible in System Settings under licensing or something like that.)

Shows what I know, either way, they both use ARM, who knows if there will be interest or if/when it gets a kernel hack.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The Hackers on Twitter confirmed it is a 3DS Kernel (almost) and it is a mostly just a Rewrite of 3DS. I think it is the same like other Console they have FreeBSD Licence but dont use FreeBSD.

3e2d316fcdae440c996a2d2afc732e26.png

Reactions: DrkBeam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.