Hardware PSA/Tutorial: Affordable, compatible 1.5TB internal drive

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I needed more space for my PS3, unfortunately 2TB Drives don't work unless you do HPA shenanigans which may or may not work. But since the PS3 has a theoretical max capacity of around 1.84TB's I decided to look for a 1.5TB internal drive. Unfortunately it seems companies have stopped making 2.5" 1.5TB drives, and so the only ones I could find were either used, super expensive, or permanently out of stock. So I decided to check out 1.5TB external drives, since those are just internal drives in a case with an adapter at the end. So I bought this.

https://www.newegg.ca/seagate-model-stea1500400-1-5tb/p/0BD-00RV-00009

Disassembling it is super simple, I just cut the seam on the side with an exacto knife, and used a flathead screwdriver to pry open from the seams. Took out the drive, took out the screws holding it together, took off the SATA to USB thing, and threw it in the PS3, it asked to format the drive, did it's thing and worked like a charm. Paired with that new 8% HDD Unlocker Utility, I now have a PS3 with around 1400GB of internal storage.

I bought this on Canadian Newegg for $73 CAD. Not sure if it's on the US Newegg but check it. Might even be cheaper.

Would recommend, it's super simple and I didn't even break the casing, I could put it back together with a different size internal drive if I wanted to.

EDIT: Link is dead, redirects to new product, think it's still listed though.

Last edited by OldGnashburg,
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: lol