[PSA] The lastest mGBA nightly runs pretty fast.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Pickle_Rick, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Maxmeas

Maxmeas Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2018
    Switzerland
    Is it possible to prevent mGBA from creating the mGBA folder on the root of the sd and use sd:/3ds/mgba as default folder?

2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Remove the battery.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    No, mGBA needs the mGBA folder found on the root of the SD card. The two files that have to be there are config.ini and log.

You can move your bios , saves , savestates , screenshots , and roms folders in /3ds/mgba/ directory.

Open up config.ini with Programmer's Notepad. Under [ports.3ds], add or modify the following lines:

Code:
    savestatePath=/3ds/mgba/savestates/
    screenshotPath=/3ds/mgba/screenshots/
    savegamePath=/3ds/mgba/saves/
    lastDirectory=/3ds/mgba/roms/
    This will direct the latest mGBA v0.7.0 nightly build to associate your savestates, screenshots, saves, and roms folders to those found in /3ds/mgba/. Name and place these folders however you choose to match the code written in config.ini . Remember to move your actual folders containing the roms, saves, savestates, screenshots, etc. to that location. You can also put in bios files if you choose.

Code:
    gba.bios=/3ds/mgba/gba_bios/[your gba bios name].bin
    gb.bios=/3ds/mgba/gb_bios/[your gb bios name].bin
    gbc.bios=/3ds/mgba/gbc_bios/[your gbc bios name].bin
    sgb.bios=/3ds/mgba/sgb_bios/[your sgb bios name].bin

You cannot delete the mGBA folder but can elect to make it hidden on Windows.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 8, 2018
  3. Leafgreen26

Leafgreen26 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2017
    United States
    So it is possible to use more than one bios file at a time in mGBA, then? Also, we have established that the gba _bios might make you games run a little slower and that the gbc_bios makes games compatible have color, but do the gb_bios and sgb_bios make any differences at all?

Last edited by Leafgreen26, Feb 13, 2018
  4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Remove the battery.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    If you were asking if mGBA could use two BIOS in tandem at the same time (external and internal) while playing a game, I'm going to go with a no on this one.

This was answered earlier at post #141 about why someone may want to use an external bios.

My experience is limited to tinkering with GBA BIOS. I haven't used external GB, GBC, and SGB BIOS to verify this, but I assume mGBA will default to using a single BIOS depending on the file extension of the rom.

For example
    • Use BIOS if found = On
    • Select GBA BIOS path = /mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin (after you navigate and select a gba bios during use of mGBA)
    This is the same as manually specifying in config.ini
    Code:
     gba.bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin
    • Open a game to play (ie: "Golden Sun") that has a file extension ending with .gba
    • mGBA will use gba_bios.bin as bios instead of its internal built-in bios
    Similarly,
    • If an external GB BIOS is specified, mGBA will use that for roms ending in .gb
    • If an external GBC BIOS is specified, mGBA will use that for roms ending in .gbc
    • I'm not sure how mGBA decides when it uses an SGB BIOS.
    Also, there's nothing stopping you from using the same BIOS file for all four paths.
    Code:
    gba.bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin
    gb.bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin
    gbc.bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin
    sgb.bios=/mGBA/bios/gba_bios.bin

Again, I'm not sure what will happen as I haven't touched gb, gbc, etc.