• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 11,022
  • Replies 26
  • Likes 9
D

Deleted User

OP
Short Version: MCU bricks were patched out in 8.1 so it doesn't brick anymore through software. The only MCU(?) brick that can be done is closing an N3DS on 2.1 (which you shouldnt even do anymore)

Long Version: MCU bricks are pretty much impossible on 8.1+ fws (8.0 and below are still vulnerable, but you'd have to REALLY be trying to brick it). Version 8.1 added a set of security measures that made bricking the MCU much harder. The only known way you can even break the MCU is through invalid LED patterns, but even those were protected in 8.1. yellows8's MCU bricked 3DS was on a firmware below 8.1. So don't be afraid to make LED homebrew, or use it. It's perfectly safe, and all the effects will go away on a reboot.

Rave lights for everybody!

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/MCU

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Short Version: MCU bricks were patched out in 8.1 so it doesn't brick anymore through software. The only MCU(?) brick that can be done is closing an N3DS on 2.1 (which you shouldnt even do anymore)

Long Version: MCU bricks are pretty much impossible on 8.1+ fws (8.0 and below are still vulnerable, but you'd have to REALLY be trying to brick it). Version 8.1 added a set of security measures that made bricking the MCU much harder. The only known way you can even break the MCU is through invalid LED patterns, but even those were protected in 8.1. yellows8's MCU bricked 3DS was on a firmware below 8.1. So don't be afraid to make LED homebrew, or use it. It's perfectly safe, and all the effects will go away on a reboot.

Rave lights for everybody!

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/MCU
I don't think anyone was worrying anymore

Reactions: pandavova

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am honestly guessing the fear of MCU bricks is a remnant from the A9LH days, since it was so easily accomplished. Although they were extremely rare even during the A9LH days, since everyone knew not to close their system(s) after only one person did it.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, who said they are "worried" about MCU bricks? Is this in response to someone posting a week ago that they bought a 3DS that was bricked and were trying to figure out if it could be an MCU brick so they didn't waste money on a compatible DS flashcart?

Also it's possible some people are still on a low enough firmware(ones that maybe haven't touched their consoles in a year or more) so they would still be eligible for the possibility of an MCU brick if they do it right. I still haven't seen anyone worried though.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
You can't brick via "invalid LED patterns"... how can an RGB color be invalid?!

If there's any fatal error it's either in MCU_FIRM, or an unlocked lock when accessing MCU registers, or at some point Ninty forgot to turn off wifi interrupts before flashing, causing MCU_FIRM to be corrupted (and yes, this actually happened to my 2DS; the network connection gets lost at fixed intervals, and you can't exit sleep mode). I didn't analyze MCU_FIRM in detail yet, nor did I disassemble older mcu sysmodules yet, but I bet that the 2.0 sysmodule was already brick-proof :P

Also, on a sidenote... yellows8 said his 3DS died when playing with LED stuff, that's true... but when he gave me his "brick code" he also made a note on the battery not working on his 3DS :) (btw, I've known this for a very long time, I was just too lazy to announce it)

tl;dr: as long as you don't abuse something, and use code written by the researcher, you're 100% safe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.