• Likes 10

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what exactly does "out in the wild" mean? Where is the wild? So far only someone in ASIA had one, right? Is there anyone, who had this issue with a switch bought in Europe or Americas?
It is an old phrase* but in this case means seen in normal consumer purchasing locations, not given to reviewers, developers, seen from Nintendo's development labs...
Yes it seems to be Asia/Japan only at this point, however the Switch has not exactly been sitting on shelves in a lot of the world and all the Switches are the same everywhere in the world (no special Japan only model like you might have seen for the NES or SNES or something) so it would be fair to assume they will start to appear in Europe, the US and wherever else before too long.
I don't know when that will be, and while there are a lot of places replacing stock of Switches there are also others that might have them for many months before selling it.

*originally it was probably to do with animals and plants ( https://www.google.com/search?q="in...UvKusrAH&start=10&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=879&dpr=1 has some examples from around 1800 ). Or if you prefer then I go walking in the country (the wilderness) here I am not going to see an elephant as I am in the UK, however if I go to a zoo or something I might well be able to see one. That would not be in its natural habitat aka the wilderness aka in the wild though.

Reactions: Erol

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically repairs will/can probably get you back a patched units too. ;)
I doubt Nintendo is doing to replace your main board if a unit is sent in for a smaller repair like a fan or SD card reader issue. The eFuse is already burnt so after that not even Nintendo can update bootloader.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Nintendo is doing to replace your main board if a unit is sent in for a smaller repair like a fan or SD card reader issue. The eFuse is already burnt so after that not even Nintendo can update bootloader.

They'd swap the board, no real reason for them not to do it and it costs them little. They do a lot of repairs and people banging on their Switch's RCM are going to be some of the more likely to run into issues in the long term, its two birds with one stone.

If its a card/fan/slot/battery issue, they probably don't even lose much by just swapping the entire system for a new one, and transferring everything across.

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They'd swap the board, no real reason for them not to do it and it costs them little. They do a lot of repairs and people banging on their Switch's RCM are going to be some of the more likely to run into issues in the long term, its two birds with one stone.

If its a card/fan/slot/battery issue, they probably don't even lose much by just swapping the entire system for a new one, and transferring everything across.
Except your saves.

D

Deleted-447617

OP
Well ninty is trying to f us up i think

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Btw this thread needs to front paged

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Have to consider the type of repair, there's no way they are going to completely rip a unit apart and spend 10 times the time (or replace with a refurb) to replace the board to fix an exploit if they can just swap in a new card reader in minutes.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Considering fg is fixable without a hardware revision, you really have to wonder if mariko is a new hardware iteration with noticable changes.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Considering fg is fixable without a hardware revision, you really have to wonder if mariko is a new hardware iteration with noticable changes.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a new chipset to fix fg and other undisclosed bugs. Just because it CAN be fixed by software doesn't mean it's plausible for them to do so.

Last edited by Kioku,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to consider the type of repair, there's no way they are going to completely rip a unit apart and spend 10 times the time (or replace with a refurb) to replace the board to fix an exploit if they can just swap in a new card reader in minutes.

Card reader would require disassembly and de-soldering from the board. Why not just replace the board/unit which will have a working card reader?

I don't see Nintendo leaving compromised units in the wild if they get them sent to them. Just helps the arithmetic to remove them as you see them.

Reactions: Kioku

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better battery life would probably be the most notable change as the chip would be a small Die size, and hopefully better bluetooth support (why can't I use bluetooth headphones again?!?).

Card reader would require disassembly and de-soldering from the board. Why not just replace the board/unit which will have a working card reader?

I don't see Nintendo leaving compromised units in the wild if they get them sent to them. Just helps the arithmetic to remove them as you see them.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263 The game card reader, SD card reader, and eMMC the most likely failurepoints (except for the USB C port) are all modular and easily swappable without a complete teardown. The Switch is very user friendly for repair.
GKS41JIQGy1YRF25.huge

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better battery life would probably be the most notable change as the chip would be a small Die size, and hopefully better bluetooth support (why can't I use bluetooth headphones again?!?).

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263 The game card reader, SD card reader, and eMMC the most likely failurepoints (except for the USB C port) are all modular and easily swappable without a complete teardown. The Switch is very user friendly for repair.
GKS41JIQGy1YRF25.huge

Fair enough, but I still think they'd just scrap a vulnerable unit. Guess we'll find out as people send in for repair from banging on their units with RCM.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, but I still think they'd just scrap a vulnerable unit. Guess we'll find out as people send in for repair from banging on their units with RCM.
Yea it's really too early to tell how they will handle repairs. The mainboard is the most costly component, and considering how small the percentage of piracy is I don't feel like they would go through all the labor and cost of the board if they could just replace a $2 card reader and ship back a working unit to their customer.

Edit, added:
If the Fusée Gelée exploit was something that actively attacked peoples consoles when they went online and compromised user information I could see them even going so far as doing a full recall, but the fact you really have to go out of your way to use the exploit and doesn't affect normal users in anyway I don't think it's a major concern for Nintendo. Of course they're going to, and are fixing it in the new units with an ipatch before the chip leaves the factory.

Last edited by fragged,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea it's really too early to tell how they will handle repairs. The mainboard is the most costly component, and considering how small the percentage of piracy is I don't feel like they would go through all the labor and cost of the board if they could just replace a $2 card reader and ship back a working unit to their customer.

Considering the fuck up lies in nVidia's lap, they could be nefarious and expense it to them for every old unit. :P

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I think too, they can fix some thermal/wrap problem by using modern SoC (downclocked to match current Switch performance), plus it will add some battery life.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure that would completely end Nintendo and nVidia's relationship leaving Nintendo with no SoC to power their console.

I know, I am just having fun. :P

I think too, they can fix some thermal/wrap problem by using modern SoC (downclocked to match current Switch performance), plus it will add some battery life.

The T214 should be 16nm Pascal, which would be a die-shrink coming in from the 20nm Maxwell. Its a 'free' gain in heat and power consumption, that can be turned into either more power or better battery/heat management. The latter is definitely a major issue for the Switch 1.0 and is already becoming a problem with chasis cracking or overheating or dead units.

Reactions: fragged

Sillybunnie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m late to this party and bought a Switch on 3 days ago from Target/google express. I’m in the US. Will be delivered today. Hopefully it’s not patched...

Also if anyone post their serial number and whether or not it gets patched , could you indicate where your location is? I’ve read through this and so far only asia units get patched?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky, how much did you end up paying after tax? by the time I saw the 25% off google express that night, switches weren't available on google express anymore, you couldn't even load the page where it normally would say unavailable in your area, page would give an error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1