Homebrew [PSA] If your 3DS will not boot EmuNAND and you followed the RxTools Doc or the Catch-All Tutorial

Did this help?

• I have a New 3DS or New 3DS XL and had no problems with the other two methods.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have a New 3DS or New 3DS XL and had problems with the other two methods, but this one worked.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have a New 3DS or New 3DS XL and still have problems with all three methods.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have a Old 3DS or Old 3DS XL and had no problems with the other two methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a Old 3DS or Old 3DS XL and had problems with the other two methods, but this one worked.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a Old 3DS or Old 3DS XL and still have problems with all three methods.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Greywolf928

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After many attempts I have finally gotten my downgraded n3DS XL to boot EmuNAND properly. I first tried the Catch-All tutorial which would not install FBI due to an unknown error. After that I tried the RxTools Google Doc which would not boot to EmuNAND at all and only displayed a black screen on top and a red screen on bottom.

After formatting my SD card completely and starting over, I finally got everything to work by following this:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/

I am not sure exactly which step on the other two caused the issues, but this one worked first try with no problems.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

FuzzyBabyDucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know exactly which step it is. :)

• You will be in Homebrew Launcher now. Scroll down to PastaCFW and start it. This will bring up your home menu again, but with Pasta patches applied, meaning you can install unsigned .cia files now.
  • Repeat the steps to get into Homebrew Launcher, open FBI and install the .cia of FBI. Now FBI is in your SysNAND.

I was installing the memchunk2 version of FBI (for installing legit CIAs on 10.3) to my SysNAND and it was crashing repeatedly.

Make sure that:

1) You are installing a version of FBI before creating an EmuNAND
2) You are installing the correct version!

Greywolf928

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know exactly which step it is. :)

I was installing the memchunk2 version of FBI (for installing legit CIAs on 10.3) to my SysNAND and it was crashing repeatedly.

Make sure that:

1) You are installing a version of FBI before creating an EmuNAND
2) You are installing the correct version!

I was installing the FBI version found here across every attempt. It only worked on the last one for some reason.

Boggot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I Think i have found the solution to the red screen error. As we know, it boot loops a couple of times, then crashes. This is because in menuhax we have set the system up to boot to homebrew unless we hold down a specific key, Type 2.

The system is attempting to boot to emunand but type two stops it and makes it boot back to homebrew.

So the solution is fire up RxTools and then as soon as it boots hold the key you bound to stop the system booting back to homebrew and you should find yourself in emunand.

Hope this helps

Deleted member 358315

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My solution was to fix the bootloop and install an older version of rxTools

Which version are you using (I am using the 5th december one)? I had it working at first but now it keeps on getting stuck at the red screen after the 2nd boot.

And like @Boggot said holding a key to stop the boot works as well but it ain't really convenient.

Note I am on O3DS.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which version are you using (I am using the 5th december one)? I had it working at first but now it keeps on getting stuck at the red screen after the 2nd boot.

And like @Boggot said holding a key to stop the boot works as well but it ain't really convenient.

Note I am on O3DS.
With nands unlinked change your theme in emunand to remove themehax from emunand and stop it from double booting.

For more info see:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/autoboot-rxtools-questions.408076/

I go over it quite well there.

Last edited by jaksy,

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Note I am on O3DS.

After the 2nd boot it will redscreen because the process order goes as follows:

System turns on -> If booting homebrew it boots from the sysNAND to CTRBoot -> If booting homebrew it boots from the emuNAND to CTRBoot -> There is nothing beyond emuNAND so it redscreens because you've already passed sysNAND (1st step) and emuNAND (current step). Therefore, it crashes. It's something the developers of the program can probably fix fairly easily by making it redirect back to step 1 or forcing the user into sysNAND, or anything to prevent a crash.

The solution is either to change HomeMenuHax to type 1 boot, or to remember to hold your PID button(s) after the 1st boot sequence.

It's kind of annoying, but oh well, it works. This might be fixed in the newest version of RX but I can't check because the download source is down due to high traffic

With nands unlinked change your theme in emunand to remove themehax from emunand and stop it from double booting.

This is a better solution than mine, however if you have no other entry points, have fun trying browser hax 200 times.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a better solution than mine, however if you have no other entry points, have fun trying browser hax 200 times.
You should be able to install ironhax on emunand if you need. (I suppose this still requires getting into the homebrew menu from emunand)
Unless you mean in sysnand, but if your nands are unlinked removing themehax from emunand won't stop it from triggering in sysnand.

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to install ironhax on emunand if you need. (I suppose this still requires getting into the homebrew menu from emunand)
Unless you mean in sysnand, but if your nands are unlinked removing themehax from emunand won't stop it from triggering in sysnand.

I'm unable to sign into my NNID because my system is out of date. Do you know any way to fix that? I totally forgot about old e-shop downloader for IronFall.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unable to sign into my NNID because my system is out of date. Do you know any way to fix that? I totally forgot about old e-shop downloader for IronFall.
The quickest way I can think of for o3ds is updating to 10.3 on emunand with linked nands, as this way you'd have your NNID on emunand all up to date, but this could be dangerous as updating with your nands linked can reportedly rarely cause an update in sysnand.

Nand linking can all be quite messy and complicated, throwing NNID's in there it becomes a nightmare.

Last edited by jaksy,
Reactions: DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The quickest way I can think of for o3ds is updating to 10.3 on emunand with linked nands, as this way you'd have your NNID on emunand all up to date, but this could be dangerous as updating with your nands linked can reportedly rarely cause an update in sysnand.

Nand linking can all be quite messy and complicated, throwing NNID's in there it becomes a nightmare.

So I guess the only thing for me to do is to install a legal CIA of OoT3D and use that as an entrypoint, right?
Oh and by the way, do I install it to sysnand or emunand?

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess the only thing for me to do is to install a legal CIA of OoT3D and use that as an entrypoint, right?
Oh and by the way, do I install it to sysnand or emunand?
Install what, the cia managers, or the injected fbi?
You can probably use browserhax in emunand 9.2-10.3, it should work, albeit unstably.
You should at least be able to get it to boot once to get you somewhere where you can install a more traditional entry point.

There's also a smea's homebrewmenu cia floating around that you could also simply install with an injected emunand fbi to let you have another entrypoint.

Deleted member 358315

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oke thanks people. Gave my emunand a theme and now it does properly. (Too bad it freezes on custome theme<.<)

But now I can update emunand to the latest version again? to play my retail cartridges and update them to the latest version? But does this disable the ability to install CIA files and play them? Or can I only use legit CIA's then?

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install what, the cia managers, or the injected fbi?
You can probably use browserhax in emunand 9.2-10.3, it should work, albeit unstably.
You should at least be able to get it to boot once to get you somewhere where you can install a more traditional entry point.

There's also a smea's homebrewmenu cia floating around that you could also simply install with an injected emunand fbi to let you have another entrypoint.

I know I can use browserhax, but like you said it's unstable. Took me like 30 tries before it worked. I can get into homebrew just fine, the problem is that if I'm on emunand and want to boot to homebrew from the main menu, I have no entrypoint other than browserhax. I can't install IronFall or OoT from the ESHOP because my NNID isn't linked.

I use the grid launcher, so i'm not sure if all that CIA does is boot homebrew like the other entrypoints or if it's different.

I need to go read up on how CIA and stuff works. FBI is the app that installs legit CIAs, I know that, but I have no idea what a CIA Manager is.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I can use browserhax, but like you said it's unstable. Took me like 30 tries before it worked. I can get into homebrew just fine, the problem is that if I'm on emunand and want to boot to homebrew from the main menu, I have no entrypoint other than browserhax. I can't install IronFall or OoT from the ESHOP because my NNID isn't linked.

I use the grid launcher, so i'm not sure if all that CIA does is boot homebrew like the other entrypoints or if it's different.

I need to go read up on how CIA and stuff works. FBI is the app that installs legit CIAs, I know that, but I have no idea what a CIA Manager is.
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases If you can install cia you can install this entrypoint.

FBI doesn't just install legit cias, it installs all CIAs if you are booting it from a CFW with sig checks disabled and using the proper version of FBI.
You seem to be confused with the version that was floating around yesterday that allowed legit cia installs in 10.3.
That's because legit cias don't have a sig check the same way you can get away with installing them on any FW without patching sig checks, as long as you have a way to install legit cia.
Previously this was mainly done through system transferring.

Last edited by jaksy,

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases If you can install cia you can install this entrypoint.

FBI doesn't just install legit cias, it installs all CIAs if you are booting it from a CFW with sig checks disabled and using the proper version of FBI.
You seem to be confused with the version that was floating around yesterday that allowed legit cia installs in 10.3.
That's because legit cias don't have a sig check the same way you can get away with installing them on any FW without patching sig checks, as long as you have a way to install legit cia.
Previously this was mainly done through system transferring.

Worked perfectly. And thanks for the info :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM