Hacking PSA : Gateway users do NOT need to be on latest firmware for anything

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is rooting for the same thing:

GW working on latest emuNAND. Hands down.

Problem is the waiting. Drives everyone nuts.

Doesn't matter if you're Sky3DS or GW. We're all in the same boat. But getting them to work is a pain.

Right now Sky3DS works. But even then, we're seeing some issues with faulty carts or bad compatibility.

Problem is it doesn't do what GW does. But to use what GW does you still end up needing a system transfer from O3DSXL to N3DSXL. Especially if trying to restore savedata.

Worst part is the whole web injection of pokemon retail carts. Sure, you have .CIAs, but then you end up wasting a whole lot of time trying to use pokebank to get it on your retail cart.

So don't get me wrong, I like my Sky3DS. I want a GW. Neither really solves where I'm stuck at. And the same goes for anyone who is stuck because of updates/transfers.

Just wait... wait... wait...

Still, if RxTools can spoof 9.7, then doing a transfer shouldn't be a problem. Mostly because a system transfer from a non-gateway requires eShop to re-download your eShop games.

But everyone keeps saying that doesn't work... so then why post that it does? I'm confused. I want it to work... then I could move on.

Reactions: Arkansaw

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Everyone is rooting for the same thing:

GW working on latest emuNAND. Hands down.

Problem is the waiting. Drives everyone nuts.

Doesn't matter if you're Sky3DS or GW. We're all in the same boat. But getting them to work is a pain.

Right now Sky3DS works. But even then, we're seeing some issues with faulty carts or bad compatibility.

Problem is it doesn't do what GW does. But to use what GW does you still end up needing a system transfer from O3DSXL to N3DSXL. Especially if trying to restore savedata.

Worst part is the whole web injection of pokemon retail carts. Sure, you have .CIAs, but then you end up wasting a whole lot of time trying to use pokebank to get it on your retail cart.

So don't get me wrong, I like my Sky3DS. I want a GW. Neither really solves where I'm stuck at. And the same goes for anyone who is stuck because of updates/transfers.

Just wait... wait... wait...

Still, if RxTools can spoof 9.7, then doing a transfer shouldn't be a problem. Mostly because a system transfer from a non-gateway requires eShop to re-download your eShop games.

But everyone keeps saying that doesn't work... so then why post that it does? I'm confused. I want it to work... then I could move on.

rxtools does not support n3ds.

Reactions: Margen67

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

it worked with rxTools on 9.6. :) (only O3Ds, not N3DS)

I did set up a 3Ds Classic, new Sd, formatted 3DS
Updated it to 9.2 with cooking mama on my sky3ds (Why 9.2, to don't have a savedata corruption error cause of the encryption)
Installed 16 pre-installed (clean) cia files (MH4U/Zelda MM / Pokemon OR/AS/X/Y/SSB all needed an update ) (Note: you can't system transffer clean installed cia's to another system, just for your information)
After installing i made emunand (copy sd content to pc as backup and putting it back after emunand creation)
So now i have 9.2 sysnand and 9.2 GW3D-Emunand
Updated emunand to 9.5 with cia's downloaded with 3dsnus
Made a backup of my emunand with emunandtool
Used latest rxTools
Now i have Sysnand 9.2 and RX-emunand 9.5
Updated RX-emunand 9.5 to 9.6 through official update (be sure to be in RX-Emunand)
linked NNID
Updated all my games that needed an update
Downloaded all my eshop games (free and payed ones)
extracted ticked.db from RX-emunand 9.5 and injected it into 9.2 sysnand
Every game worked fine in sysnand and all my eshop games to
Made a backup of RX-emunand 9.5 with emunandtool and injected GW3D-Emunand backup back to SD with emunandtool
booted rxTools and injected ticked.db back to GW3D-Emunand 9.5
Now i can play all 16 games + eshop downloads in sysnand and emunand.

All my games and eshop games are now in emunand and work flawless, and now i can also use the not so legit games if i want.
So if rxTools gets 9.7 working as RX-Emunand 9.7 the same should be possible.
and that's what i like about GW, you can do this cool stuff with it, i like my sky3DS to for the easy of use on 9.6 / 9.7 systems i have.

Why need a system transffer from O3Ds to N3DS?
And if you are on 9.6 it's no use to get a GW anyway, if you are on 9.2 or lower on both systems you can do an emunand to emunand transffer (correction: could do it due to 9.7 now out)

In the end the op was right as long as 9.6 was out, you didn't need to be on latest FW to do anything, but now you have to wait for rxTools to support 9.7 or GW to support 9.7

[EDIT]
seems rxTools emunand can be updated to 9.7

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm screwed getting a system transfer from my 9.5+ O3DSXL to a 9.2 O3DSXL+GW because I'll always require the latest firmware of my old one for the new one to transfer. So RxTools is useless to me because it doesn't spoof 9.7? Thus I can't transfer from my original O3DSXL to a new one with a lower firmware even with GW spoofing latest firmware because it only spoofs up to 9.6?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
for now, yes, rxTools does not support N3DS
and it seems rxTools does support FW9.7, but only on O3DS for now, but since you are on 9.5 on your O3DS, you are screwed.

You need to wait till GW finds a way to get emunand working on 9.7 on N3DS (and O3Ds to)

[EDIT]
Sorry, seems to be going a little off topic.
Back to GW not needed to have latest fw to do anything :D

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UGH.... you're not listening.

I want to take my current O3DSXL 9.5+ and transfer to a new O3DSXL 9.2+GW on it so that it can spoof 9.7. This would allow me to do a transfer from my current O3DSXL 9.7 to another O3DSXL 9.2+GW spoofing 9.7.

The N3DSXL thing doesn't concern me. That's after I'm done doing an O3DSXL > O3DSXL. I'll just trade-in my old O3DSXL 9.5+ unit for a N3DSXL and then already have GW to install on it with Sky3DS.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
UGH.... you're not listening.

I want to take my current O3DSXL 9.5+ and transfer to a new O3DSXL 9.2+GW on it so that it can spoof 9.7. This would allow me to do a transfer from my current O3DSXL 9.7 to another O3DSXL 9.2+GW spoofing 9.7.
The N3DSXL thing doesn't concern me. That's after I'm done doing an O3DSXL > O3DSXL. I'll just trade-in my old O3DSXL 9.5+ unit for a N3DSXL and then already have GW to install on it with Sky3DS.

that's easy :)
Update your 9.5 O3DS XL to 9.7 (Let's call it O3DSXL 1)
get another O3DS XL that's on 9.2 or lower (Let's call it O3DSXL 2)
Install GW Emunand on it
Update GW-Emunand to 9.5 through CIA's downloaded with 3DSNUS (Latest supported FW by GW)
Backup your emunand with emunandtool
use rxTools 2.3/2.4 to update the emunand to 9.7 (Be sure it says in settings RX-E, then don't go out of settings but go to the update option to update)
System transffer O3DS XL 1 to O3DSXL 2 rxTools emunand 9.7

Your NNID and bought eShop games are now on O3DSXL 2 9.7 Emunand.

Now if you want to use not so legit cia files you need to do a few more steps (that's why you needed to backup your GW emunand with emunandtool)

Reactions: Osmosis

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's easy :)
Update your 9.5 O3DS XL to 9.7 (Let's call it O3DSXL 1)
get another O3DS XL that's on 9.2 or lower (Let's call it O3DSXL 2)
Install GW Emunand on it
Update GW-Emunand to 9.5 through CIA's downloaded with 3DSNUS (Latest supported FW by GW)
Backup your emunand with emunandtool
use rxTools 2.3/2.4 to update the emunand to 9.7
System transffer O3DS XL 1 to O3DSXL 2 rxTools emunand 9.7

Your NNID and bought eShop games are now on O3DSXL 2 9.7 Emunand.

Now if you want to use not so legit cia files you need to do a few more steps (that's why you needed to backup your GW emunand with emunandtool)

Yeah, just use backup to downgrade and then install .CIAs. But I'll have all my "stuff" already on emuNAND, right?

You made me so happy I could kiss you. I know what I'm getting for my B-Day now. O3DSXL and GW here I come!!! And then when the transfer is done, N3DSXL for kicks!!!

And I still have my Sky3DS. This'll be awesome.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Keep your Sky3Ds, it's handy to update your O3DSXL 2 to 9.2 IF it has a lower FW (USA needs to use the SSB revision with 9.2 update on it)
Write it to Sky3Ds and play the game in sysnand it will ask you to update to 9.2 before you can play it.

You need a little more then justusing the backup of the GW emunand.
in rx-emunand 9.7, be sure to downloaded all your needs from the eshop and do all your game updates that need it
then, when you are satisfied and have everything, boot into rxTools menu and extract the "ticked.db" from rx-emunand 9.7
then when still in rxTools menu inject "ticked.db" into sysnand (Sysnand and emunand needs to be linked)
Now make a backup of your RX-Emunand 9.7 with emunandtool on your computer and inject the backup of GW-Emunand 9.5 you made earlier into your emunand
Boot rxTools Menu again and inject "ticked.db" into emunand this time
reboot 3Ds and use Gateway to boot into GW emunand 9.5 now
All your games, purchases and updates are now available in your GW-emunand 9.5 and you can now also use not so legit cia games (since rxTools does not support piracy in it's emunand)

Reactions: Osmosis
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Ow, so 9.7 is out?

Lol and i updated yesterday my emunand to rx-emunand 9.6 and got all my updates and games from the eshop, really lucky :) then reverted back to 9.5 gateway emunand after extracting ticked.db and injecting it back
Besides, Everything works fine on sysnand 9.2 and emunand 9.5, new plaza games etc...

In the end i learned, sky vs gateway is so stupid!!!
If you can't use gateway sky is your solution, if you can use gateway, get a gateway or sky, it's all up to you what you want, no need to bash each other.
How do you inject ticket.db correctly in rxTools? I seem to be messing up when I try.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Just what we needed. I too have been seeing a lot of users asking about this. The only real reason to need Eshop, is to get game updates. But those can be installed as cia.
Then the only other reason to be on the latest firmware is to be able to do a system transfer. Other than that, not being on the latest firmware is completely fine.
I'd say being on 9.2 is awesome, to be able to use Ninjhax and the ACNL Ram editor.

You know what? We don't even need to worry about this... :)
All we need to to is, do a HW mod backup, backup current 9.0-9.2 NAND, update to whatever new vewsion is, do a sys transfer then:
1) Dump NEW updated NAND, extract its FAT16 partition, extract its XORPADS, decrypt it, copy the NAND based saves
2) Extract BACKUP FAT16 partition, extract its XORPADS, decrypt it, inject your NEW NAND based saves, reXOR it, inject your NEW FAR16 partition into your BACKUP NAND, inject that NAND in your emuNAND AAAAAAAAND profit...

I already did that in the past for one OLD 3DS... since we have the hability to extract XORPADS for N3DS for some time now, the process is likely the same.

EDIT:
BTW, I have a thread somewere here explaining what exactly you need to extract from your NAND (your NAND based saves) for your streetpass tags, friendlist and everything else.
If I find it I'll post here again.

EDIT2:
This is the thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...tain-old-data-like-mii-streetpass-etc.380678/

Reactions: BerserkLeon

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
System Transfer is really an overlooked feature. It doesn't even transfer your friendlist, which is completely stupid... Why transfer the friend code is they don't transfer the list at the same time? (as your friend will have to add you again anyway, would be the same to use a new friend code...)

Games you legally bought on eshop can just be redownloaded as cia saves, will be the same games, cia files or not.

The only difference is if you care about Mii Plaza stuffs, which are pretty useless things...

The only "interesting thing" is if you paid for Pokemon Bank, as it'll transfer your licence and so you won't have to buy a new one, but that's really the only good thing I noticed from my own system transfer...

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Just what we needed. I too have been seeing a lot of users asking about this. The only real reason to need Eshop, is to get game updates. But those can be installed as cia.
I kindly remind you that gateway users have devmenu/bigbluemenu, which allows them to install any patches or dlc and thus disables the need of going to the eshop for any reason .

I've got a good reason. Actually being able to purchase content that you want to give money for. I know it's a situation you can't imagine - a Gateway user wanting to buy something - but it's an important feature of the system that Gateway users don't have access to at the time of writing this.

Reactions: night_hawk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: