Hacking PSA: For those on v3.0.0 and you're suffering from the battery issue, you probably can't boot Switch

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: My issue is resolved. Apparently this "severe" issue seems to be only affecting just me. I now have enough evidence to say this PSA is no longer warranted, and therefore I thank those who commented.

Preferable title: Your Switch may be unlikely, but possibly rarely, if not ultra rarely, that you can't boot your Switch, when on v3.0.0 while suffering from battery issues. (The title text limit is shorter than I wanted though.)

Anyway, I'm the current owner of a v3.0.0 with a dead battery. A battery that doesn't hold any charge right now.

Mine's literally dead. (I wished the thread flair would stay "dead").

This is an update to a thread I made a while ago (can't find it) where I made a PSA in regards to those updating the Switch to v3.0.0, to be aware of the battery issue that would drain far more quickly than you think.

This is just anecdote, especially when I only know it's happening to me, but apparently, my Switch now no longer holds any charge. I've plugged my Switch in with the AC adapter, and kept it charging for over a day. It just won't hold any charges.

But, the Switch should be able to boot up, right? Well, I'm just speculating a "yes", and that you need to have at least some percentage of charge staying afloat, at least above 2% or more. If it's less than a certain minimum threshold, it will only show a blank screen, with a charging battery icon in the top left corner. I'm saying that I'm speculating is because, well, I don't have a working test unit to confirm or verify this anymore, and I'm just running off the top of my head that this is the case. I'm not 100% sure. I'm also not the person to be knowledgeable about this.

Your mileage may vary. I agree with this sentence, and you should just take my PSA with a grain of table salt. It may be unlikely for you to experience what I've gone through. I'm okay with this.

Just wanted to share my experiences. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by delete12345, , Reason: Updating status quo.

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The battery issue (not a bug, it's definitely called an issue) is triggered when you first completely drain your battery such that the Switch would auto-shutoff by itself. From that point on, it gets progressively worse and worse.

So as long as you keep your battery at full charge or strive to, I think you should be able to avoid this.

Reactions: YugamiSekai

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the title was too long for "your switch might not boot" so you put "your switch probably won't boot"

i see you sir

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm nervous anyway i'm going to see how much juice i left in it.

EDIT: i had left it on dead for some dumb reason a few weeks ago. hopefully it can still hold some kind of charge, its charging good it looks like.

Last edited by machinoman,
D

Deleted-394630

Literally killing your Switches to use shitty homebrew like the Ugandan Knuckles app that doesn't even have sound. This community is the peak of intelligence.
When you put it that way it doesn't really look that great. What the fuck am I doing? I haven't touched my switch in months.

Reactions: 2Hack

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This problem probably isn't specific to 3.0 it would be the same situation on 2.3 or 4.1 or anyone with a completely dead battery most cellphones work the same way.

You either got a defective battery or messed it up somehow 3.0 has nothing to do with it.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Preferable title: Your Switch may be unlikely, but possibly rarely, if not ultra rarely, that you can't boot your Switch, when on v3.0.0 while suffering from battery issues.
Your Switch may be unlikely - what? #grammarpolice

Anyway, I'm the current owner of a v3.0.0 with a dead battery. A battery that doesn't hold any charge right now.

Thank you for sharing. I wish I could have a flair that says "Generation Y'ism".

This is an update to a thread I made a while ago (can't find it) where I made a PSA in regards to those updating the Switch to v3.0.0, to be aware of the battery issue that would drain far more quickly than you think.
This is an update towards the intellectual state of the internet for a post I made, but I cant be bothered to use search to pull it up, and - obviously - the result of linkbaiting headlines seeping into todays lingo. It might be worse than you think.

This is just anecdote, especially when I only know it's happening to me, but apparently, my Switch now no longer holds any charge. I've plugged my Switch in with the AC adapter, and kept it charging for over a day. It just won't hold any charges.

But, the Switch should be able to boot up, right? Well, I'm just speculating a "yes", and that you need to have at least some percentage of charge staying afloat, at least above 2% or more. If it's less than a certain minimum threshold, it will only show a blank screen, with a charging battery icon in the top left corner.
Fair - thats actually an analytical description of what happened to you. Anecdotally.

I'm saying that I'm speculating is because, well, I don't have a working test unit to confirm or verify this anymore, and I'm just running off the top of my head that this is the case. I'm not 100% sure. I'm also not the person to be knowledgeable about this.
So you went from PSA, to anecdote, to speculation, to I dont know anything about it. Good heavens!

Your mileage may vary. I agree with this sentence, and you should just take my PSA with a grain of table salt.
I also agree with most of my statements. And with the statements I make to sidebet against, what I actually said.

It may be unlikely for you to experience what I've gone through. I'm okay with this.
I'm also okay with people not experiencing everything I have experienced. Just for the record. (*It hurts.*)

Just wanted to share my experiences. Thanks for reading.
Thank you for sharing.

Now - to be non ironic for a while, the issue described in several news-outlets concerning the Switches battery issue on 3.0.0, seems to be related to the Switch loosing track of its max battery capacity state, and then creating a state file thats missrepressentitive of the actual state. Deep discharging and fully charging the device (like the Nintendo "how to fix this suggests) should recreate that file, hopefully in a working state.

At that point it would have actually been journalistically responsible to ask for an explanation of what that bug means in practice - but no Blog outlet went with it, because they had a much more fun story to tell about "a fix to an issue they didn't understand" and "that it was complicated - and to them that was sooooo much more fun....".

This shouldnt mean (qualified guess), that the Switch can end up in a state where it would not take any charge, because Nintendo hints at "leaving the device charging, for one hour after it says "fully charged"" - which means, that they bank on the device still charging in that time - but we cant be sure, because they dont state for which firmware their "guide" applies.

Yet - I also have quarrels with the Team behind HBL picking 3.0.0 as their target, and recommending people to stay on it - simply from a practicallity standpoint. Currently you get an unstable entry point, where you have to go through a buffer overflow process 1-7 times after every boot, to even be able to launch an app - and you get a confirmed battery issue on top of it. But sadly even hackers can't choose their entry points for free...

SciresM hopefully takes a hard look at this, when he releases his custom Firmware (because it has the potential to be post 3.0.0), the Switch homebrew gang, hopefully lifts its recommendation for its programs to be targeted at 3.0.0 as soon as we have a better launch method on a more recent firmware (and be it even 3.0.1) - and up until then - we take comfort in the fact, that reports of dead Switches on 3.0.0 arent exactly wide spread.

If you are on 3.0.0 and you want to keep an eye on your Switch always being at least somewhat charged - by all means, it cant hurt. :)

Last edited by notimp,

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Reactions: cearp

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
There is
4BD0B9AB-2027-4C0B-AF72-5CECC2B75756.png

Only forums that have this are magstaff forums iirc

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows if it might start working a few time after...

I had like 3 Nvidia Shield tablets and all of them at some point were like dead and some times I could only turn it on after a few days and it was also because of a completely discharged battery which then connecting to the charger was just black with the charging light on, but nothing for days...

Some times is for a few hours...

That's why they recommend charging always with a few battery left, like when your android device claims low battery around 15%...

But lot of ppl also claim a complete discharge 1 time per month will also help calibrating the battery by letting it shut off with no battery and completely charge it with the device off...

On my RC lipos 4 example I always have a low voltage beeper because the cells get damaged if they are lower than a certain voltage and I always balance them, though I never had much problems with li-ion batteries, I always have them discharged for years and they all charge good like the PS3 controller that I use from year to year and still has almost the same battery time left in it.

Last edited by guily6669,

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is a good percentage battery to leave the switch at? I've got mine at 100% but i think I read somewhere that you should not leave it fully charged either, although I could be remembering wrong.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is just a fix for the INDICATOR not for the battery dying out. Why is that so hard to get for most people in here ? Again the INDICATOR got fixed, even if it said 0 percent you could still play because again the INDICATOR wasn't showing the correct number and switches not starting doesn't have anything to do with that bug !!! So please let this misinformation finally die out because it really baffles me how people don't get that

Last edited by kumikochan,

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a fix for the INDICATOR not for the battery dying out. Why is that so hard to get for most people in here ? Again the INDICATOR got fixed, even if it said 0 percent you could still play because again the INDICATOR wasn't showing the correct number and switches not starting doesn't have anything to do with that bug !!!

Like I said, it's an anecdote, and is a speculation at best. But the truth still stands; I'm no longer a Switch owner. It's still charging for 2 days now, and shows no signs of any life when attempting to power it on.
SciresM hopefully takes a hard look at this, when he releases his custom Firmware (because it has the potential to be post 3.0.0), the Switch homebrew gang, hopefully lifts its recommendation for its programs to be targeted at 3.0.0 as soon as we have a better launch method on a more recent firmware (and be it even 3.0.1) - and up until then - we take comfort in the fact, that reports of dead Switches on 3.0.0 arent exactly wide spread.

Nah, I don't think that is even necessary, because I'm sure they're busy with their things. Right now, I plan to fetch some tools to open it up and look up on iFixIt to replace the battery or something.

D

Deleted User

You scared me. I thought you said that a switch with battery issues can't run homebrew.
I don't have a dead battery or battery issues but that scared me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1