Homebrew [PSA] eShop spoof likely to be patched on November 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krude

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They can only really patch eShop access together with a new firmware, not just via maintenance.

Should be easy to patch, actually. Just include some kind of firmware functionality in 10.3 to return some kind of value from the crypto-engine that's unique to your 3DS and NNID and seed it by a value that the Nintendo servers send you when trying to access the eShop. Make the eShop app send that calculated value back to the servers, if it's invalid, deny access.

Without updating firmware to get it to calc these new values (which use kernel services), no more shop access.

Reactions: kiwiis

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can only really patch eShop access together with a new firmware, not just via maintenance.

Should be easy to patch, actually. Just include some kind of firmware functionality in 10.3 to return some kind of value from the crypto-engine that's unique to your 3DS and NNID and seed it by a value that the Nintendo servers send you when trying to access the eShop. Make the eShop app send that calculated value back to the servers, if it's invalid, deny access.

Without updating firmware to get it to calc these new values (which use kernel services), no more shop access.

Until someone exploits the eshop on 10.3 to get kernel :P.

Krude

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Until someone exploits the eshop on 10.3 to get kernel :P.
Haha, keep dreaming. The eShop wouldn't need more access for that than it already has, so where's the eshop kernel exploit on 10.2?

Not that i want Nintendo to implement this any time soon. eShop access on any firmware is the one thing i really wanted on >9.2.

There's also the fact that they might not want to particularly hurry to restrict HB eShop access again, since that only means that the determined Homebrewers who don't updat their consoles also get a chance to spend money. Broader target audience.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

br3compactor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

But they DID patch both Tubehax AND Browserhax with a maintenance.
Unless I really misunderstood how the eShop spoof works, I really don't see how it could be difficult to them to patch this. They just need to create a new sort of check upon entrance that didn't exist before, and bye-bye eShop.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they DID patch both Tubehax AND Browserhax with a maintenance.
Unless I really misunderstood how the eShop spoof works, I really don't see how it could be difficult to them to patch this. They just need to create a new sort of check upon entrance that didn't exist before, and bye-bye eShop.

But the difference here is the ONLY check there is is being bypassed. So, how else can they make a check?

Reactions: GBAFail

br3compactor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But the difference here is the ONLY check there is is being bypassed. So, how else can they make a check?

The same way they made the one that already exists?
I know there is a check and it's being bypassed. As of now, that is.
But nothing stops them from adding a second check after the one already there.

Reactions: robot56

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting. Now is this a Smea vs Nintendo showdown? lol
While it's not good to spread panic, it's still reasonable to guess that Nintendo is up to no good. Just look at browserhax (on o3ds) and tubehax.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Interesting. Now is this a Smea vs Nintendo showdown? lol
While it's not good to spread panic, it's still reasonable to guess that Nintendo is up to no good. Just look at browserhax (on o3ds) and tubehax.
I'm rooting for smea! (Just like about everyone on GBAtemp... :P)

Reactions: kehkou

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely no indication that this is a 3ds update if anything it's likely to be a wiiu update what with the new exploit ready to launch ect and the fact the wiiu has not had a update in a while.

Reactions: GBAFail

loco365

Trophies
XP
they said this " This maintenance is intended for server replacement"

So...this maintenance will patch the spoof isn't it?

(Japanese)
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/661013300101038080
I wouldn't trust a machine translation, as Google's translation tool says it's a large-scale server transfer, not server replacement. Until NoA gives a definitive statement as to what is going on in English, or someone properly translates that NoJ Tweet, it's anyone's guess what they're actually doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o