Hardware PSA: Do not use a third party dock with switch on 5.0.0

jrobertdobson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO, I just posted a thread, with a dock that I just bought, and it works with a battery pack, Sammy charger, and I'm 5.0, and it works, on 5V but, what? I'm gonna brick?

And only thing I can gather from this, is, I am not plugging a 15V charger, AKA factory, into aftermarket.... only 5V, as there MAY be something feeding 15V into the wrong thing, as these docks were originally meant for phones, and weirdly work on Switches.... But I guess time will tell.

Last edited by jrobertdobson,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please Reader the thread.
There is no proof that the switch is brick through 5.0 and 3rd Party Dock or the Power supply!

Dock from nyko and scorel Have problems since they are released

Gesendet von meinem Huawei P10 mit Tapatalk

Traace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What a time to be alive. A simple docking station can brick consoles...

Glad I didn't bought one switch (yet) :D

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fastsnail is only a rebrander.
They sell different product under own Name.
But this Dock is New to me.
I Have not seen this Design before.
I asked me for what that Button is.

More quality and 4k output with a hdmi 2 cable is clear a fake!

I can only say that sh350 and sh500 from coov work and that they say it is safe.

Nyko and scorel are not safe

Last edited by Liriel,

phnompenhplaya

Trophies
XP
Country
I was never a believer that a USB C dongle could damage my switch and I wish I had seen this post earlier.

I have been using both the Coov SH350 and SH500 fine for many months now. However, the moment after I updated to 5.0, an error popped up saying to push the power button to restart. Never booted up after. Bricked with the SH350.

So while some may say their experience was fine after the 5.0 update, be warned that there's a chance that yours can brick like mine. YMMV

Reactions: peteruk

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Strange in a german Group There are more defect switch with a Software defect on 5.0.
Nothing with a 3rd Party Dock.
These switch boots and hung up in the switch logo.

I would say Thats the Firmware is the problem when it Have more Software defect with 5.0 has Then before.

But i can only speculate.

Last edited by Liriel,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange in a german Group There are more defect switch with a Software defect on 5.0.
Nothing with a 3rd Party Dock.
These switch boots and hung up in the switch logo.

So can we blame Nintendo for being overly paranoid about hacking to the point of royally screwing up the systems when used with docks?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can we blame Nintendo for being overly paranoid about hacking to the point of royally screwing up the systems when used with docks?
If that's the case, someone from a country that has better consumer protection than the US would need to set up a lawsuit with a case that Nintendo is intentionally bricking Switches that are using non-warranty-voiding hardware. While it would be fantastic if that were the case (strictly speaking, that would mean it's preventable after legal action), I highly doubt it is and I don't think there's enough evidence yet to prove it is, either

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, someone from a country that has better consumer protection than the US would need to set up a lawsuit with a case that Nintendo is intentionally bricking Switches that are using non-warranty-voiding hardware. While it would be fantastic if that were the case (strictly speaking, that would mean it's preventable after legal action), I highly doubt it is and I don't think there's enough evidence yet to prove it is, either

Either that, or Nyko branded stuff is just garbage in general. I've seen official docks on sale for 65 before, but how long, IDK.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either that, or Nyko branded stuff is just garbage in general. I've seen official docks on sale for 65 before, but how long, IDK.
Nyko is a very very very VERY reputable brand for inexpensive 3rd party accessories, but I wouldn't put it past them to cut one too many corners in the name of costs (as appears to be the case here)

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nyko has good none electrical parts but with electrical Things Have nyko problems.
That Dock has problems since Release.
This problems Was thing like defect usb ports in the switch.

Nyko was hyperaktiv from the Medien as the first portaple Dock for switch but that Was not Real.

I would not take a nyko or scorel even when i got it as a Gift.

misterdarvus

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The people on my country aren nuts over this. Some people's Switch are bricked because of the 3rd party dock and we have no Nintendo support here because Nintendo still not acknowledge our country. Basically, we are fucked, so no repair.

Also we became very afraid of using any 3rd party accessories. Then some suggest we should have been playing PS4 because it has actual support eventhough we still want to play Nintendo games.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
why do people even use 3rd party docks? afaik you cant buy a switch without a dock(yet) so everyone should have an official dock...

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was never a believer that a USB C dongle could damage my switch and I wish I had seen this post earlier.

I have been using both the Coov SH350 and SH500 fine for many months now. However, the moment after I updated to 5.0, an error popped up saying to push the power button to restart. Never booted up after. Bricked with the SH350.

So while some may say their experience was fine after the 5.0 update, be warned that there's a chance that yours can brick like mine. YMMV

First of all(someone please correct me if I am mistaken :P, I do believe that the Coov SH350 and Fastsnail are essentially the same dock?) Also I believe on amazon a link to the Fastsnail seller has quoted under their product.

• NOTE: Our HDMI adapter can work for the new firmware 5.0. But when you are updating the firmware 5.0, please don't connnect your Siwtch console with our HDMI adapter. You can connect our HDMI adapter to your Switch console after you finish update. If you have any issue, please contact with us immediately.
Is it possible that reports of people bricking their switch have updated through the 3rd party adaptor? Im not necessarily saying thats the case with Nyko, but was this the case with your switch? Did you update while connected to the SH350?

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why do people even use 3rd party docks? afaik you cant buy a switch without a dock(yet) so everyone should have an official dock...
Man Have it Because it is small for Transport or they needed a Second or third Dock for other roms.
The original is with 89€ expensive.

Is it possible that reports of people bricking their switch have updated through the 3rd party adaptor? Im not necessarily saying thats the case with Nyko, but was this the case with your switch? Did you update while connected to the SH350?

Mmh i had it out the Dock when the Update was installed

Last edited by Liriel,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

In addition to previous reasons, the official additional dock seems to be out of stock where I live as of posting.

So if I was desperate I'd likely go third party or have to buy a second switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol