Hardware PSA: Do not use a third party dock with switch on 5.0.0

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
does this mean those usb-c to hdmi usb adapters will also brick the switch
the docks are all usb c to hdmi adapters.
the original dock too.

and not every dock brick the switch.
there are 5 Producers that i knew.
Nintendo, Cforce, Scorel, Coov and Nyko

Scorel has to often problems with defects.
Nyko has also problems with defect since release of thier dock.
Cforce and Coov seams good with low message of defect switch
Nintendo has sometimes message of brick switch through the dock and thats the original dock.

I have coov and my switch works and that of friends that it have too working fine.
Coov said that the docks of it is safe.

These discussion of dock breaks the switch goes to a you tuber that use the nyko dock and experiment with his switch.
he said all 4rd party dock makes a 5.0 switch defect but he has no proof of it.
its a witch hunt he open.

why his switch goes really goes defect is unclear and no one knew it what it really the fakt why defect

Last edited by Liriel,
Reactions: peteruk

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the docks are all usb c to hdmi adapters.
the original dock too.

and not every dock brick the switch.
there are 5 Producers that i knew.
Nintendo, Cforce, Scorel, Coov and Nyko

Scorel has to often problems with defects.
Nyko has also problems with defect since release of thier dock.
Cforce and Coov seams good with low message of defect switch
Nintendo has sometimes message of brick switch through the dock and thats the original dock.

I have coov and my switch works and that of friends that it have too working fine.
Coov said that the docks of it is safe.

These discussion of dock breaks the switch goes to a you tuber that use the nyko dock and experiment with his switch.
he said all 4rd party dock makes a 5.0 switch defect but he has no proof of it.
its a witch hunt he open.

why his switch goes really goes defect is unclear and no one knew it what it really the fakt why defect
SpawnWave never stated it as fact, he actually said we don't quite know so for safety don't use third party docks until we can exactly pinpoint the cause. It's the "better safe than sorry" approach, and with no way to backup saves that's the best approach right now.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
SpawnWave never stated it as fact, he actually said we don't quite know so for safety don't use third party docks until we can exactly pinpoint the cause. It's the "better safe than sorry" approach, and with no way to backup saves that's the best approach right now.
That was the main point behind said video. Lack of save backups. Unironically enough, Nintendo had an uncaring view on backups. They've been so accustomed to saves being on proprietary hardware and cards, that they forget about modern devices allowed to backup saves.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but he show that like its the dock guilty but he overheat the switch and change the internat space chip and...
he use the original power supply with the nyko dock (these docks have problem since it is released) and nyko warns not to use the nintendo power supply with the nyko dock.

he open with his video this witch hunt that all 3rd party docks brick the switch!
all these new that the 3rd party docks are brick the 5.0 switches goes back to his video!

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but he show that like its the dock guilty but he overheat the switch and change the internat space chip and...
he use the original power supply with the nyko dock (these docks have problem since it is released) and nyko warns not to use the nintendo power supply with the nyko dock.

he open with his video this witch hunt that all 3rd party docks brick the switch!
all these new that the 3rd party docks are brick the 5.0 switches goes back to his video!
No, he says they MAY be bricking switches, which with current data is a good reason to be wary of third party docks until more research is done. It wasn't a witch hunt, it was a warning to potentially prevent more switches from bricking, as well as calling out nintendo for not having a way to back up saves.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
then all are wrong because all warning to use 3rd party docks beause it brick the switch and that goes back to his video!
no be carefull beause you have noch save backup!
everynews is 3rd party docks brick the switch witch 5.0 firmware and point to his video.

for me is this you tuber no really goodsource for everything and i think he broke his switch selft and not the dock

ZenXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
if the docks are the problem or the switch or the firmware is not proof.
no one knew what happens.

and when you dont by nyko, scorel or sfans dock you are on the safe side.

the smartphone charger?
which power has it?
the normal has only 5v

I was thinking of using a normal Samsung quick charger for the switch. I'm also kinda skeptical regarding the charger being of the "quick" variety. Not sure on what the verdict is as some sources say you shouldn't use quick chargers and others claim there's no difference since the switch will only draw what's needed for it charge. But again, in lieu of this whole 5.0 update it seems kinda scary. Not sure if I should go out and buy a power bank as well in fear of it bricking the switch that I still haven't bought. I might as well just play it safe and either not update it to 5.0 or use the original dock.

So much for a table top experience

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
quick charge only works when the power supply and the device can comunicate and have the right protokoll.
without you can only normal charge.

i am sure that the switch doesnt support samsungs quick charge and only charge normal.
i think i could charge without brick the switch

Last edited by Liriel,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick charge only works when the power supply and the device can comunicate and have the right protokoll.
without you can only normal charge.

i am sure that the switch doesnt support samsungs quick charge and only charge normal.
i think i could charge without brick the switch
I can confirm that 12v car chargers and Samsung stock chargers with a USB-C adapter charges the Switch fine without apparent damage. 5v 1.2amp chargers charge REALLY slow, though, look for something around 12-15v ~2amp if you can

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

ZenXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I can confirm that 12v car chargers and Samsung stock chargers with a USB-C adapter charges the Switch fine without apparent damage. 5v 1.2amp chargers charge REALLY slow, though, look for something around 12-15v ~2amp if you can

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look for something like that. If not, I'll probably just lug the adapter around like a pleb.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Reactions: hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My DIY dock case finally arrived...Took the circuitry out from the Nintendo dock with no problems; but took me a bit longer than expected to install into new case (no thanks to my clumsy hands):

39103331200_7485a5497c_z.jpg

40870795632_d73611ab8f_z.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1