Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DevMenu and the incoming Custom Menu Themes do not work on firmware 6.0 on ALL CFW
Homebrew: Tinfoil, RetroNX, FTP, Checkpoint, EdiZon, NX-Shell, BOTW Save File Editor, HBAppstore, ZeroTwoXCI, and NES emulator are confirmed to be working
Source=https://gbatemp.net/threads/updating-5-1-0-to-6-0-homebrew-compatibility.518566/
There has been many rumors about a future firmware update for the Switch looming on the horizon (pun intended). From garyopa's words of wisdom...
Ok some more clues, Yes, I been hinting about the upcoming 'firm 6 series' to be rolled out soon publicly, lucky its already in beta for those with devkits, so we have time to find ways around it! :)

Alot of changes under the hood by big 'N', the top 4 are:

#1: massive file checks on both xci and nsp
#2: massive cdn changes
#3: massive efuses changes
#4: all new keys, and cart3 coming later on!

Top 4 things we will need to do and wait for:

#1: FIRST Don't Update to 6.x! :)
#2: Work Towards Emunand, and/or improved ways and apps to be able 'upgrading' without changes to 'fuses' similar to the current manual guides.
#3: New hardware might be needed to bypass 6.x checks. (ie. modded Joycons with UARTs added)
#4: Hopefully #2, will help remove the need for #3. (currently, only developers need #3 to find better solutions)

Hope the above answers your quest! :)

That's all for now, folks! :)
...to more detailed changelogs found in that Discord server...(which has been mostly debunked)
WWVFAWS.png
XRA7F3a.png
Now I'm not here to tell you whether these changes are real or not (despite how trustworthy one of the sources is). But the last firmware update was back in the end of May and a lot has changed in the hacking scene while Nintendo has remained mostly silent. Not to mention that while the exploit itself cannot be patched through a firmware update, Nintendo CAN patch everything that follows after the exploit so any number of things can be broken in a future firmware update. A good example of this is the 11.8 update on the 3DS recently that broke Luma. However much like how Luma was updated to work with 11.8, developers can eventually do the same with all of the hacks/CFW that get patched in 6.0 or whatever future firmware update Nintendo releases. The point I am trying to convey is do NOT update to a new firmware immediately.

EDIT: Hexkyz kindly provided us with some tweets adding more support to the existence of 6.0 that you can find below:

EDIT 2: Hexkyz has provided us with some more technical changes to firmware 6.0 now that its been "leaked":

Last edited by Draxzelex,

ssrpgvita

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laysmen term nintendo has found way stop piracy everyone who invested is now screwed thats basiclaly what this update is roflmao what an fucking joke scene is dead after it took off.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laysmen term nintendo has found way stop piracy everyone who invested is now screwed thats basiclaly what this update is roflmao what an fucking joke scene is dead after it took off.
No it is not and I can tell you did not read the OP in its entirety.
However much like how Luma was updated to work with 11.8, developers can eventually do the same with all of the hacks/CFW that get patched in 6.0 or whatever future firmware update Nintendo releases.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can we get a confirmation from an actual trustworthy member?
Gary has a long history of false claims and I see no reason to take anything he says as true until proven otherwise

Last edited by The Catboy,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost none of these supposed leaks make much sense. Devs don't even have access to the retail facing CDN so what exactly would a beta leak...?

Reactions: Brawl345

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
really good luck running card 3 games 6.0 introduces new keys good luck getting them its ps3 scene all over again cat and mouse game

how long did it take for TX to support card 2 type games? 1 week? lol I already have enough games for the next +2 years, so I have time and they WILL support card 3 games... and also, I dont think all games will be card 3 type games, only a selected few, just like card 2. lol

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Can we get a confirmation from an actual trustworthy member?
Gary has a long history of false claims and I see no reason to take anything he says as true until proven otherwise
Gary is not the source, the source is an actual dev that is working on a game, they already have beta version is 6.0.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how long did it take for TX to support card 2 type games? 1 week? lol

You can't compare because type 1 & type 2 were similar, you have no idea what type 3 actually is.

and also, I dont think all games will be card 3 type games, only a selected few, just like card 2. lol

I don't know why nintendo would bother making any more type 1 or type 2 cards, but until someone finds an exploit back into FW 6.0 then it won't matter anyway.

Hmm so hacks are becoming not so future proof like the claims always were by cough cough without emunand

fusee gelee is future proof, it's the payloads that need updating. This was always going to be the case. Atmosphere will need constant updating moving forward whether it has emunand or not.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: -----a

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gary is not the source, the source is an actual dev that is working on a game, they already have beta version is 6.0.
Honestly I wish there was more than just a claim from him. Gary has a long history of making statements "on behalf of devs" and the statements being completely wrong. Sorry to say this, but it's safer to treat any statements from Gary with a healthy dose of skepticism until proven otherwise

Last edited by The Catboy,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Honestly I wish there was more than just a claim from him. Gary has a long history of making statements "on behalf of devs" and the statements being completely wrong. Sorry to say this, but it's safer to treat any statements from Gary with a healthy dose of skeptism until proven otherwise
that the devs he was talking about

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1034198923240337409

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1034198923240337409

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1034450466841620480

https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1034450466841620480

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.