Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to say, all soft will require an update if it is a major version. TrustZone will most likely change, key derivation will too, which means hekate/atmo/others cfw need an update.

gulasch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oke. I would love to know more about how masterkey works in gaming/console. Any place I can read about it?
I know masterkey from encryption/decryption. If I encrypt my data with masterkey and change the masterkey all the older records need to be updated. How come Nintendo can change masterkey, yet older games keep working?
Are there more masterkeys stored inside the console?
There are multiple masterkeys, each big update added one, so far there are 4 (or more?). Hence you can play older Games but not new ones

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: lolboy

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i really wonder how nintendo goes and can do to block a hardware flaw with firmware (software) i do not see how stuck a game cartridge that would need firmware 6.0 the cartridge will have the included maj no? without speaking of choi du jour... I think .

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i really wonder how nintendo goes and can do to block a hardware flaw with firmware (software) i do not see how stuck a game cartridge that would need firmware 6.0 the cartridge will have the included maj no? without speaking of choi du jour... I think .

They can't block a hardware flaw with a patch. HOWEVER they can make it impossible for you to load payloads. There are some patched units in the wild already that, for the time being, throw an error when you try to load any payload

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They can't block a hardware flaw with a patch. HOWEVER they can make it impossible for you to load payloads. There are some patched units in the wild already that, for the time being, throw an error when you try to load any payload
If they can't block a hardware flaw (I'm assuming you're talking about RCM), then they can't block it from loading payloads.

Reactions: charlieb

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they can't block a hardware flaw (I'm assuming you're talking about RCM), then they can't block it from loading payloads.

They can and they have. The payload loading is a SOFTWARE issue, not a HARDWARE issue. The HARDWARE issue is just enabling you to enter RCM, nothing more. Loading payloads is done via SOFTWARE that can be patched. In fact, current units(As in the most, MOST recent ones) are patched against running payloads. You can still enter RCM obviously but it throws an error and blocks any payloads from being ran

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They can and they have. The payload loading is a SOFTWARE issue, not a HARDWARE issue. The HARDWARE issue is just enabling you to enter RCM, nothing more. Loading payloads is done via SOFTWARE that can be patched. In fact, current units(As in the most, MOST recent ones) are patched against running payloads. You can still enter RCM obviously but it throws an error and blocks any payloads from being ran
You're talking about new hardware. I thought you meant existing Switch devices that can already load payloads. They'll always load payloads from now on.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
xci's will still work, the code might just need some modification. Doesn't matter if games are sandboxed or not, the game card access is handled by the system AFAIK, which is what they're patching.
I also don't see why nsp's would stop working - signature checks can still be patched out, that's handled by the kernel/TrustZone.
At most CFW would need updating to get everything working again.
I'm not currently running CFW and have no plans to until they stealth the CFW while keeping online multiplayer, so this doesn't affect me at all.

Perfect One

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm so hacks are becoming not so future proof like the claims always were by cough cough without emunand. Emunand was always that should have happened at the beginning and not this late !

Haha, true.

What makes me laugh is how people love to tell how ninty can or can't do with their own devices! LOL

I know that one or two exploits are impossible to be patched without a new hardware revision, which is on the works already, but, this doesn't mean they can't level up the security of the switch' system.

Let's see if @SciresM 's emunand will be able to bypass this 6.0.0 update (if it's real, since source sometimes failed in the past, as some well described here).

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the payload before being executed goes through the rcm, uses the gpu flaw then loads the payload, as long as the flaw exists before the injection of payload, any attempt of nintendo is doomed to the failure that's why the mariko switches are created , hardware correction, new revision soc gpu nvidia.is my point of view

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You're talking about new hardware. I thought you meant existing Switch devices that can already load payloads. They'll always load payloads from now on.

No i'm talking about new SOFTWARE, not HARDWARE. The Switch models i'm referring to aren't the Mariko ones with the new boards, those aren't out yet. The ones i'm referring to have a SOFTWARE PATCH that blocks payloads from loading. Check out the pinned thread called "Switch information by Serial number" all the info is there

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the payload before being executed goes through the rcm, uses the gpu flaw then loads the payload, as long as the flaw exists before the injection of payload, any attempt of nintendo is doomed to the failure that's why the mariko switches are created , hardware correction, new revision soc gpu nvidia.is my point of view

Correct. However there are some Switch units with a patch that prevents Fusee Glee from running. And those are SOFTWARE patched, not HARDWARE patched as you can still enter RCM with them

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've added hexkyz's tweets to the OP. What's funny is how TX supporters trust garyopa while non-TX supports trust hexkyz. I think the fact that both of them are warning everyone of firmware 6.0 is a sign that all CFWs and hacking teams will have to bring their A-game. So it doesn't matter whatever you are using because big changes are a brewing. Btw the secondary source also has inside access much like hexkyz's friend hence why that person remains anonymous.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No i'm talking about new SOFTWARE, not HARDWARE. The Switch models i'm referring to aren't the Mariko ones with the new boards, those aren't out yet. The ones i'm referring to have a SOFTWARE PATCH that blocks payloads from loading. Check out the pinned thread called "Switch information by Serial number" all the info is there
Those are still new devices. If you have a device right now that can currently load payloads, a software can't patch that AFAIK. RCM accepts payloads from cold boot before any other software code is read. Nintendo can't patch your device in any way that overrides this.

EDIT
To clarify what I mean, those new devices have been altered on a software level like you said. But if you have a Switch that currently works with RCM, you've got nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Rune,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Those are still new devices. If you have a device right now that can currently load payloads, a software can't patch that AFAIK. RCM accepts payloads from cold boot before any other software code is read. Nintendo can't patch your device in any way that overrides this.

Not on the OLDER systems, no, sorry for the confusion. But they have on the more recent ones, i think those started coming out 2, maybe 3 months ago? Something like that

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not on the OLDER systems, no, sorry for the confusion. But they have on the more recent ones, i think those started coming out 2, maybe 3 months ago? Something like that
Yeah, I get what you mean. Having said that, TX claim to have a work around for those newly patched devices as well. Mariko devices are the real problem, whenever they come out.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I get what you mean. Having said that, TX claim to have a work around for those newly patched devices as well. Mariko devices are the real problem, whenever they come out.
Yes and it is deja vu (don't trust them when they are saying a coldboot exploit for 4.x+, they didn't really specify anyways, and the fact that tou need the rcm exploit to read ipatch was a lie in itself).
I don't think they will create it by themself since they know other people already have it. And it would be stupid to burn it before mariko.

Last edited by mariogamer,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and it is deja vu (don't trust them when they are saying a coldboot exploit for 4.x+, they didn't really specify anyways, and the fact that tou need the rcm exploit to read ipatch was a lie in itself).
I don't think they will create it by themself since they know other people already have it. And it would be stupid to burn it before mariko.
Deja Vu is a trustzone exploit (that only works up to 4.1.0 currently), not an rcm exploit. Similar to Jamais Vu:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHack...is_vu_a_100_trustzone_code_execution_exploit/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte