PSA: Do NOT buy a VR headset right now.

Mama Looigi

Oi Josuke, I’m a cat now! Isn’t that neat? ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It is in everyone's best interest to avoid buying a headset right now.

Why?:
For the last few months, there has been patent after patent from Valve and Oculus for new VR headsets. Many third party companies are joining the VR industry and are working on releasing their own headsets. Oculus connect (The Oculus equivalent of a Nintendo Direct) is coming this October where they'll almost definitely be announcing a successor to the Quest 2, Valve has been filing patent after patent for over a year now for VR headset designs, new headsets are being prepared to be launched that are meant to be direct competitors to the Oculus Quest family. A lot of things are about to happen, and the VR industry is going to have an extremely exciting rest of 2021.

When should I start looking for headsets then?
The best time logically, would be after Q4 2021 passes. There is a 90% chance that by then, there will be something better than whatever you are currently considering.

That's all!
I am simply saying to not purchase a headset right now because there is a huge amount of announcements right around the corner.

Actually, one more thing regarding Facebook for now and for the future.
If you can't stand Facebook, if you absolutely hate it- then don't buy it. Wait and buy something else, you're just going to have to pay more. But for the average person, they don't give a shit about Facebook, they just want VR. This should be respected. Do not push your own morals on somebody and not let them enjoy that just because you don't like Facebook. If you said they were bad headsets, you'd be straight up lying anyway. Don't just immediately tell people not to buy them, let them see all the requirements and information and decide for themselves if they join the side of Oculus. There are people who won't care about privacy, and people who will only be able to afford Oculus headsets. We want more people to get in to VR, we can't push people away by having them look at their first headset, and start telling them all kinds of shit about stealing privacy.

Alright
Now I'm finished.
Thanks for reading.

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is pretty much what I told someone the other day. There is just a lot happening in the VR space right now, and it's likely to be priced similarly to the current options, so it makes most sense to wait. But he didn't wanna wait, which I can understand. I mean I got the Reverb G2 because I didn't wanna wait for the DecaGear myself (though I had already pre-ordered the G2 and the DecaGear seemed a bit too good to be true so I was wary)
The thing with VR though is it improves at such a rapid pace you could be waiting for the next big thing for a decade or more. At some point you just have to decide that VR is good enough right now to spend your money. Also, a headset with better specs (higher resolution and refresh rate) is going to require more powerful hardware, and I'm already pushing the limits of what this one can handle with the G2.
It's safe to say though that it would be a bad time to buy an Index, considering how quickly the sticks wear out on that, hopefully the Index 2 will have improved sticks and also offer official replacement parts like they are doing with the Deck.
But it's just about as good a time to get a Quest 2 as ever. Nobody is going to beat that price.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This is pretty much what I told someone the other day. There is just a lot happening in the VR space right now, and it's likely to be priced similarly to the current options, so it makes most sense to wait. But he didn't wanna wait, which I can understand. I mean I got the Reverb G2 because I didn't wanna wait for the DecaGear myself (though I had already pre-ordered the G2 and the DecaGear seemed a bit too good to be true so I was wary)
The thing with VR though is it improves at such a rapid pace you could be waiting for the next big thing for a decade or more. At some point you just have to decide that VR is good enough right now to spend your money. Also, a headset with better specs (higher resolution and refresh rate) is going to require more powerful hardware, and I'm already pushing the limits of what this one can handle with the G2.
It's safe to say though that it would be a bad time to buy an Index, considering how quickly the sticks wear out on that, hopefully the Index 2 will have improved sticks and also offer official replacement parts like they are doing with the Deck.
But it's just about as good a time to get a Quest 2 as ever. Nobody is going to beat that price.
Things do advance very quickly
Actually I think there’s a new and improved G2 model out now, or about to be out

If you wanna push your PC less, you can get the AMD FSR VR mod that works on pretty much any Unity game, it makes a really big performance difference

The “Index 2”

I really hope they do improve the build quality, it’s such a good headset. Only lacks in the durability and display department

I’d just advise not getting a Quest 2 until the Connect at the very least

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Things do advance very quickly
Actually I think there’s a new and improved G2 model out now, or about to be out

If you wanna push your PC less, you can get the AMD FSR VR mod that works on pretty much any Unity game, it makes a really big performance difference

The “Index 2”

I really hope they do improve the build quality, it’s such a good headset. Only lacks in the durability and display department

I’d just advise not getting a Quest 2 until the Connect at the very least
The G2 Omnicept? It's not for consumers though, it's kinda overpriced.
I didn't like openvr_fsr because the jaggies were super noticeable. And I can enable AA in the game but that comes with a performance hit too, so it's not ideal.

Yeah the Index headset seems great only the controllers are a bit lacking. They could improve the finger tracking, it's not reliable at all. And of course the aforementioned stick issues, plus the creaky triggers (not a huge issue but seems like an easy fix)
Index 2 should have higher resolution (at least 2160p but likely 2.5K or thereabouts to compete with the Vive Pro), maybe higher FOV? I guess we'll see. Hopefully wireless support, there's rumors that the next headset will be standalone which I don't mind as long as they support a proper wired DIsplayPort over USB connection instead of that streaming crap the Quest does. Adding DisplayPort over USB would've been so much better.

I don't think Facebook has a new headset coming out any time soon. They don't usually release new headsets that often and there's not a lot they could do to improve on the Quest 2 at this point, they would have to wait for more powerful SoCs. Maybe a slight revision with similar specs but higher FOV or other added features like face tracking is a possibility but I don't think they'd waste their effort making a slight revision, they'd rather put all ther work towards the next Quest model (which is likely a ways away, since the Quest 2 has not even been out that long)
I just don't think they'd put so much effort into making the Quest 2 the killer deal that it was if it's getting replaced soon anyway.

I don't thin

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Mama Looigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The G2 Omnicept? It's not for consumers though, it's kinda overpriced.
I didn't like openvr_fsr because the jaggies were super noticeable. And I can enable AA in the game but that comes with a performance hit too, so it's not ideal.

Yeah the Index headset seems great only the controllers are a bit lacking. They could improve the finger tracking, it's not reliable at all. And of course the aforementioned stick issues, plus the creaky triggers (not a huge issue but seems like an easy fix)
Index 2 should have higher resolution (at least 2160p but likely 2.5K or thereabouts to compete with the Vive Pro), maybe higher FOV? I guess we'll see. Hopefully wireless support, there's rumors that the next headset will be standalone which I don't mind as long as they support a proper wired DIsplayPort over USB connection instead of that streaming crap the Quest does. Adding DisplayPort over USB would've been so much better.

I don't think Facebook has a new headset coming out any time soon. They don't usually release new headsets that often and there's not a lot they could do to improve on the Quest 2 at this point, they would have to wait for more powerful SoCs. Maybe a slight revision with similar specs but higher FOV or other added features like face tracking is a possibility but I don't think they'd waste their effort making a slight revision, they'd rather put all ther work towards the next Quest model (which is likely a ways away, since the Quest 2 has not even been out that long)
I just don't think they'd put so much effort into making the Quest 2 the killer deal that it was if it's getting replaced soon anyway.
The Q2 actually has a lot of unused potential, they severely underclocked it though because they decided to only fit one measly fan in there, and any higher clock would’ve caused overheating.

I think they’ll keep the Quest 2 as their killer deal, and if they release a new headset, it won’t be incredibly cheap. It’ll be targeting the less casual VR fans or people who want to take the next step.

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Q2 actually has a lot of unused potential, they severely underclocked it though because they decided to only fit one measly fan in there, and any higher clock would’ve caused overheating.

I think they’ll keep the Quest 2 as their killer deal, and if they release a new headset, it won’t be incredibly cheap. It’ll be targeting the less casual VR fans or people who want to take the next step.
Maybe. Facebook's been neglecting that segment of the market for a long time though. They seem to be all in on affordable VR for the masses now. There hasn't really been a "high end" headset since the original Rift and that was only high end because it was the first of its kind. It could still happen though. I'd personally like to see what a headset from them targeted toward high end VR would look like.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to note, some places have started their Xmas returns period. So if buying as a gift, now could be an ok time to buy if you are concerned about potential launches.

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: