Hacking PSA: Beware of the Trojan Release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkflame808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I will be the first to say, I hate when I see PSA's that warn you about things that should be common sense. Second, I hate the term PSA. I hate everything about PSA's.

LOL so with that said,

I just wanted to say that I would be weary of downloading anything that is not considered not a reputable release.

I don't download roms but I can tell you that md5checksums and hashes can come in handy when verifying releases however with that said....

It would be incredibly ridiculously amazingly (insert any synonym followed by -ly) easy for nintendo to give a wave of backup loaders the finger by simply posting their own releases to whatever channels you all are getting them from. Then simply sit back idle for a few weeks or months then light everyone up with the hammer of dawn <----yes I stole that from gears of war.

Soooooo...... If you are going to get your copies from other than an original cartridge (yes I know, no one would do such a thing). My best advice is to only get it from a source that posts a MD5 hash and is from a reputable source, do not believe that just because a .xci has a reputable name in the filename that it is safe to bite. Nintendo can easily proliferate trojan garbage among the pirate seas and the waves will carry them to every shore....

So that's just something to take into consideration. I'm not trying to throw doom and gloom on everyone, just keeping it real. I know first hand how easy it is to get fish to bite when the bait is good enough. I've had my thrills on Diablo II with a maphack I made that had a auto trade trojan back in the subseven days...and if you know what that is, you'll know I'm old enough to know better :) Now that I am more mature, I felt it best to share this piece of tidbit.

Happy gaming everyone.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I will be the first to say, I hate when I see PSA's that warn you about things that should be common sense. Second, I hate the term PSA. I hate everything about PSA's.

Then you proceed to give us a "if you've been on the internet and you're on GBAtemper, you probably know this" wall of text. Why?

darkflame808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could never really know unless you collected data. For example if one were banned what was the md5 hashes of all your releases. Then find the commonalities. I'm just it's a simple way to catch inexperienced freebie hunters.

Kibblerz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Md5s arent useful for xcis that have been cutt. Plus where are you finding the md5s that the games should have? And wouldnt the different certs each game has affect the md5...

darkflame808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can lock or delete. It would seem my post made many upset. Was just trying to generate creative discussion. I just hoped to share my insights on problems and potential solutions based on replies as like I said I don't keep up too much on how the scenes go nowadays but I have experience with how we dealt with problems regarding multiple versions of the same file and how they created solutions to clean garbage releases but like many have said....majority of the people here know how it works and I am an old man in a very different time... What I know is probably irrelevant so I concede. Sorry if I upset anyone. ✌️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...