Hacking PSA about Pokémon code events

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried redeeming a Dragonite code my brother got at Gamestop on my American copy of Alpha Sapphire, and it said "this code cannot be used on this game"

This was on my Japanese N3DS, but the game and the code were American. I tried a whole bunch of times (and yeah, I do have my EULA set to ff.ff)

When I put the game into my American old 3DS it worked just fine

In other words it doesn't just look at the region of the code vs. the region of the game. It looks at the region of the console too.

Hope this helps anyone who may have been confused about why the codes they tried weren't working.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon games have no region; they're all the same ID. The update data is different, though, which is why they don't launch.
Thus, they check the console instead.

Reactions: MrCheeze

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pokemon games have no region; they're all the same ID. The update data is different, though, which is why they don't launch.
Thus, they check the console instead.
could you clarify? what if no game updates were installed, would it be region free then? I'm doubtful

Interesting info.

Can Event Pokemon be traded on PlayNav locally between friends (without internet)?
I'd imagine so, why wouldn't they be? Just like any other Pokémon..

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you clarify? what if no game updates were installed, would it be region free then? I'm doubtful
Game updates are region free, too. If you for some crazy reason region swap without reformatting (me) updates from the JP shop will work with a "US" game. Because it's the game thing.
Updates are console-side anyway, they don't magically install to the cart.

The only things that are region based in a Pokemon game are the update on the cart (if it IS a cart, CIA need not apply) and the region of the console.

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you could get these codes to work by loading up a pokemon .cia then using the GW card trick to make the game think it is USA region

D

Deleted-19228

This has been answered so many times before. The game detects the region of the console it is running on and creates a save data flag for the region. The region it is created on allows those region's codes. Export your save and edit the region to US from JP and save it and it will be permanently saved so you can use US codes in the future.

@SciresM can do a better job at explaining it I'm sure :)

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you could get these codes to work by loading up a pokemon .cia then using the GW card trick to make the game think it is USA region

what's the GW card trick? I'm sure I know of it just not by that vague name
This has been answered so many times before. The game detects the region of the console it is running on and creates a save data flag for the region. The region it is created on allows those region's codes. Export your save and edit the region to US from JP and save it and it will be permanently saved so you can use US codes in the future.

@SciresM can do a better job at explaining it I'm sure :)

I started the save on my north american O3DS XL, only just recently started putting the cart into my JP N3DS. You sure that theory's right? :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise