PS5 to be backward compatible with over 4000 PS4 games but some "may exhibit errors"

PS5.JPG

Sony revealed in a post today that the PS5 will be backward compatible with "the overwhelming majority" of PS4 games; meaning over 4000 titles. Some of these will benefit from the PS5's Game Boost feature which could improve the original game with higher or smoother frame rate. The company also confirmed the compatibility of the PlayStation VR headset and PS VR games which will require, in addition to the headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required).

However, the console maker also mentioned limitations regarding this backward compatibility. For one, the post mentions that some functionalities available on the PS4 might not be available on the PS5. Additionally, Sony writes that some PS4 games "may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles". The company did not clarify which games will be affected by those issues nor what these issues are specifically.

Moreover, Sony did list 10 games which will only be playable on the PS4 and not on its next-gen console. These games will feature a ‘Playable on: PS4 only’ tag on the PlayStation Store. You can find a list of those PS4-only games below:
  • DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner
You can find more details regarding transferring digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console and installing PS4 games on the upcoming console in the official post linked in the source below.

:arrow: SOURCE

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what fucking errors? my decision to get a ps5 continues to drift further and further away. first they are releasing all their so called exclusives on pc and continue to censorship the shit out of everything and now BC might not even work properly! :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That makes no sense... Especially the PS4 only list...

Xbox/Microsoft is over here trying to make the experience as grand as possible... Sony is like "ssd go brrrrr"

Still, may snag a PS5 digital for some of the next Gen titles.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
what fucking errors? my decision to get a ps5 continues to drift further and further away. first they are releasing all their so called exclusives on pc and continue to censorship the shit out of everything and now BC might not even work properly! :glare:
cmon like all emulators/bc mode there are always some tiny issues somewhere, they just didint fully tested every 4000+ games from top to bottom, so its there way to say if a random game has some crash when doing certain conditions or just a wierd texture or whatever.

there were some ps2 games that didnt work even on ps3 with ps2 hardware and some ps1 games that didnt work either on the ps1 emulator.

so its there way of saying if something happens on any of the supported 4000+ games they warned you, heck im glade the list of incompatible games is so small at least, besides shadow complex remastered i would never play any of the games on the list.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
None of those 10 games are any good, so nothing lost there which is nice.

Hitman Go is a pretty solid puzzle game, and people loved Shadow Complex back in its original release and I’ve never heard anything bad about the remaster. Those two are a shame.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually good news from my perspective. It means that Sony is taking a ban list approach for known issues instead of an allow list approach. In other words, it's unfeasible for them to test every single PS4 game so they're just going to open it up to basically everything (licenses permitting) with the disclaimer, "it may not work in some scenarios."

This is a million times better than requiring approval on each title like that did the Vita TV. (For those not aware, the result was only a small portion of the Vita library allowed to run on PSTV/VitaTV officially, despite mods proving that the majority of games would have worked with no modifications without issue. Although their hands might have been tied due to licensing restrictions, I'm not sure, but I digress.)

Last edited by TehCupcakes,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Hitman Go is a pretty solid puzzle game, and people loved Shadow Complex back in its original release and I’ve never heard anything bad about the remaster. Those two are a shame.
True, but Hitman Go is also a mobile game, it's not like it's some PS4 exclusive so you're SOL if you only own a PS5 and you'll never get to play it :P

Can't say much for Shadow Complex since I've never played (or really heard anything about, TBH), but it's certainly not a major loss all things considered. Could be much worse, could've been something big like Uncharted or Bloodborne or something

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell would a mobile game give the PS5 trouble? That's the shit that really boggles my mind.
It's probably not so much a matter of "giving the PS5 trouble" as it is the game being coded in such a way that it's incompatible with the way they've setup backwards compatibility.

Presumably they're not just running an emulator (that would be silly), I expect it's similar to the approach MS does with their 360 BC on the Xboner, the game is recompiled to run on the PS5 natively. There's probably some kind of module or library or something that's not supported on the PS5, so a few games just might not work properly when it's being recompiled.

AirbusX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of this is inside acceptable expectations and I wonder how can there be people getting into drama queen mode because of this.

That said, good I have Shadow Complex Remastered on Xbox One.

Because some people have nothing else to bitch about, or nothing else going on in their lives so they will just bitch bitch bitch.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok the list isn't a deal breaker I guess the better question are they going to upscale the games or leave them as is on PS4 Pro level. PS3 BC back in the day wsn't perfect and it got worse when they released the 2nd revised BC models with "software emulation" instead of the original emotion engine

These "Ultimate Edition" cash grab games need to stop if they can upscale the games for free from pervious gen.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True, but Hitman Go is also a mobile game, it's not like it's some PS4 exclusive so you're SOL if you only own a PS5 and you'll never get to play it :P

Can't say much for Shadow Complex since I've never played (or really heard anything about, TBH), but it's certainly not a major loss all things considered. Could be much worse, could've been something big like Uncharted or Bloodborne or something

Fair, it’d be a way different story if first-party games weren’t working, or even big third-party stuff, but this is still kinda crappy. Not a dealbreaker for anyone I’m sure, but I would have liked to be able to hang on to my PlayStation copy of Shadow Complex instead of having to repurchase it on PC or something when I wanna play it.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People ridiculed me for being skeptical of claims of 99% compatibility claim leap from 'almost all' top 100 games before MS ate their lunch on BC support... sounds like a backwards compatibility public beta

I think it's gonna be smart to hold onto a ps4 pro for a while if you want to be sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1