1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    afaik they dont need licenses to make ps5 read ps1 discs and play them, since there are clone consoles right now like polymega who do that, so its not about that, is more about them wanting to make it at all, they dont get any money from BC so they would only loose dev time making it and gain almost nohting, xbox needs licenses from developers becuase xboxone backwards compat is totaly diferent, they mod the iso so it plays on the console, and the iso itself is on microsoft servers and the disc is just drm so without internet there is no backwards compat on xb1, obviously psnow needs licensing since they need files on servers and gain money from the program.

if you made an emulator that plays physical diswcs you dont need to ask for permission from devs or else polymega would be illegal and all clone consoles too.

Last edited by pedro702, May 29, 2020
  2. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah it was just a dev talking about it, nothing concrete.

Sony confirmed that the “majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be played on the PS5” in a March 18 blog post, but the company hasn’t said anything about its game library from older consoles. There’s still room for Sony to surprise gamers with a beefy PS5 back catalog of older games come launch, but that doesn't seem likely. "As a gamer, it’s hard to figure out what’s the big deal with this,” Jutras said. “How come PS5 isn’t backward compatible with PS4, 3, 2, 1?"

The explanation is a dry one involving licensing laws.

“As a developer however, I can see where some legal stuff could get a bit blurry, especially if the goal is to have those older gamers sold in some stores,” Jutras said. “Some companies don’t exist anymore and licenses of those titles might not be so easy to figure out. I also understand that older consoles might have some form of hardware [digital rights management] that could prevent newer consoles from reading older disks.”

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/ps5-backward-compatibility-games-features

Last edited by Jayinem81, May 29, 2020
  3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    the imcompatible games is probably due to codding errors and not licenses like i said poymega reads ps1 discs no problem and its legit item sold on usa and will be sold worldwide, if that was illegal it would have been blocked easily, some for retron consoles that read cartridges and use emulators and i bet 90% of the companys are dead lol, but yeah their dvd drives might not be able to even read older discs but that is a diferent story.

https://www.polymega.com/

4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I'm getting deja vu on that top one...

5. scomex23

scomex23 Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    RIDGEEEE RAAAACEEEERR!!!!

6. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

I posted this in the first page, but it got deleted because video only post.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They are going to make a game based off the Giant Enemy Crab ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH and it's going to sell 5x GTA V.

Last edited by Jayinem81, May 29, 2020
    CactusMan likes this.
  7. teamlocust

teamlocust GBAtemp Regular

India
    Lol what do you play then?

8. CactusMan

CactusMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Last edited by CactusMan, May 29, 2020
  9. moto4mods

moto4mods Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Your snide and disrespectful.

10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    What the heck are you on about

moto4mods likes this.
  11. CactusMan

Newcomer

Netherlands
  12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Playstation is historically an anime console, so why making a redundant thread if we can discuss it here =)

CactusMan likes this.
  13. CactusMan

Newcomer

Netherlands
    We have Coronas disease give me ac divorcde

Last edited by CactusMan, May 29, 2020
  14. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Awesome this time they will talk about the console's wifi capability for 45 minutes and spend the rest of the time talking about the ultra powerful fan technology used in military equipment.

15. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Daytona USA and Scud Race were better

16. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Fan

1. Whether VR would be compatible needs to be addressed but i do not see a showstopper there, it is just a usb camera and a breakout box with the headset. Should be fine
    2. I do not think the Vita will be relevant going forward
    3. DS4 controllers 'should' be compatible apart from the new features the new controller has
    4. Installing data will be mandatory as the games will utilise the super fast NVMEs of both the Ps5 & Xbox Series X as temporary memory and insta-swap games as well as devs counting on it for quick asset loading.
    5. Judging by the PS4 shoddy engineering when it comes to construction/noise/thermal behaviour, i would not hold my breath for a silent ps5.
    6. Again, going by previous standards, not much. Hopefully they will change this
    7. They said they 'believe' that a vast majority will be available. This does not sound like 100% to me... Lets wait and see. MS already confirmed 100% of Xbox One titles as well as all previously BC working titles from previous gens.
    8. Remains to be seen if there is going to be a raise in prices

Just my 0,02 based on what is said already and what i expect given current standards

They have already ducked out of full BC. Do not expect any BC before the PS4 and even then, they are not even promising full PS4 BC compatibility. I would not hold my breath.

They said they are 'expecting' the 4000 games to be played. When Sony uses ifs and buts, you know its not going to be all, just to start with. Sony tends to promise features they never really materialise. Took them years to add the early start game while installing for most games to go to the title screen with no option to click anything (lol)

17. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Vietnam
    We already disowned Playstation from Anime council ever since they decided to censor anime tiddy.

Pipistrele likes this.
  18. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    I would be slightly disappointed if there is no full backwards compatibility

PS5 patent being able to "interpret" the CPUs of previous-gen PlayStation consoles this was talked about from Sony they also talked about a similar thing what the Series X does with PS3 games

Also this new console generation was suppose to have digital transfer rights where you can trade with friends/people and also a borrow system to loan .. this is something both companies have been silent about and silently the gaming industry has been pushing Digital because it kills the used market and will keep profits higher but in the blink of and eye your collection could be gone fingers crossed something good happens for the consumer :wacko:

19. Ryan Warren

Ryan Warren GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just hope the rumors about the new Harry Potter RPG are true and it gets shown as one of the games for ps5. For those wandering its made by avalanche software and you can find some pictures that look like parts of it from their studio.

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    that's not a black controller they just have the lights out the lying bastards!

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announced, [UPDATE, event